Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,279 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am looking for some feedback on an area that I do not know too much about here in Denver. I've been in Denver about 12 years, but again do not have much experience in the Villa Park area. I think the neighborhoods general area is north of 6th Ave, south of 10th and, between Sheridan and Federal. I have been able to find some great homes with affordable prices in the neighborhood, but I am not sure if I am getting a good vibe on the area or not. Does anyone know if this is an up and comer? LightRail West corridor is going in just north of the neighborhood thru the park, will this benefit the neighborhood? I can tell the area is heavily hispanic, is there gang activity around, etc? I have been in SE aurora since I moved here, and just dont know anything about this area. Thanks in advance for any helpful insights.

Pam C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:42 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
I think light rail will help a lot. Right now, there are precious few light rail stations that really are within an easy walk of single family neighborhoods. Most tend to follow highways and heavily commercial corridors. The new west line will change that.

The area always has potential -- the linear park along the Lakewood Creek is actually pretty nice. The problem is that there's so much low-rent and public housing in the area. The redevelopment in Highlands / Sloans Lake so far has not made it south due to the barriers of a still delapidated West Colfax, and run-down Federal, plus the aforementioned public housing, which is much more prevalent south of Colfax.

The light rail has the potential to change that. But you have to see what people are going to want. People are going to want a decent single family home with a yard for their pets, but they want to get out of bed and walk to the light rail station within a few blocks. They don't want to have to cross busy streets to get there, and they definitely don't want to have to drive.

So, you might want to look within a few blocks of the station locations.

The Knox Station is probably too run down and surrounded by projects for now, and sadly it may take a long time for that to change. The Federal/Decatur station is across Federal and not so accessible (plus in a not-nice area). The Pierce Station might be a good thing to take a look at, though. The light rail station for Sheridan will be pretty much right under Sheridan, so something on either side of Sheridan might be promising.

You may also want to look just west in Lakewood. The same light rail line will be there as well which should open up some more options for you. In Lakewood, it looks like the next station is at Lamar, another promising location.

Last edited by tfox; 03-18-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 04:50 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I think it's a great area. Mostly after WWII era housing. Super affordable, super easy commute to Denver. I have helped an investor buy 4 properties in that exact area.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:57 PM

48 posts, read 101,984 times
I too am looking for info on this exact area, found some great homes at great prices. I know this post is over a year old.....but does anyone have any new thoughts on Villa Park a year later?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
I would say that tfox said it very well in his post and nothing has changed since, other than we are closer to the opening of this rail line in 2013. I have been through the area and to me, the homes do not look all that bad for an older area. However, I can live anywhere being an ex New Yorker and I enjoy the Hispanic community and the Asian community which you will see some influence as you get closer to Federal. The problem I have is that there is no real walkable shopping within the area and the stores on Sheridan are not that close in being Edgewater at 17th being the nearest. Federal is another story with the area dominated by Denver Social Services.

Is the area safe?? I really do not like to define an area as bad because the bad definition itself can add to the areas decline. I would say it is not the worse area and certainly is not a decayed ghetto and has great potential, as 2bindenver has said. Again, I could live there.

I also agree with tfox that it will take years for the area to benefit from any good influence of the rail. However, there are city plans in work to help the development the area, starting near and in Sun Valley which I think will see earlier improvement being nearer to the redeveloping Downtown.

Livecontent

Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,568 times
My husband, dog and I live in Villa Park -- moved in a little over a year ago -- and we love the quick access to downtown. Takes me twelve minutes on a bicycle (less when Light Rail construction is complete because the block-away bike path goes straight to town). So: BIKE PATH. LIGHT RAIL. CLOSE TO DOWNTOWN. Are you kidding me? I think most white people who brush this area off are just afraid of brown people, if you want the truth.

We moved here because it was one of the few areas close to town in which we could afford a two bedroom home with a yard. We haven't experienced any problems and have friendly neighbors. Super quick access to 6th Avenue. Plus the new dirt jump park is now right off of 6th -- great idea, Denver. An amazing place for kids (and adults) to spend some time.

The homes in the neighborhood are varied -- nothing's the same. Some are run down, some are remodeled, some have scraped and built brand new. Villa Park is worth a look.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:36 AM

36 posts, read 108,430 times
I'm also looking at houses in this area, so thanks for all the replies and info.

To me, it seems like an up-and-coming area for affordable single family homes. It does not seem dangerous to me, although I know it does have a reputation for being dangerous.

That said, I live very close to Cheeseman Park right now and while that nieghborhood is considered very safe, a few of my friends have been mugged and there are homeless people around.

If anyone else lives there, I would love to her more opinions (good and bad) or the area.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,534 times
I bought a house in Villa Park in 2004, right before the light rail was approved. I like the neighborhood and have felt fine living here. A diverse neighborhood suits me and I like having a big yard. Since I have lived here there have been a few problems around the neighborhood but nothing I have not experienced living in other parts of Denver. The access to Downtown is quick and it is a short hop to 6th if you want to head to the mountains. I like the fact that I am close to the city but when I come home I can hear the crickets at night. I've even had a red fox in my front yard before.

Since the light rail has gotten closer to being built I have noticed the neighborhood improve and I think it will continue to do so. I agree that the lack of a close shopping areas for groceries is a bit of a hassle but I really think that will change when the light rail opens. The straight shot on the bike trail to downtown is awesome. Really, the more people figure out how cheap the houses are here right now and the benefits of this location the more people will start heading this way.

I also think that if you decide to look here for a place to live you look the neighborhood over street by street. Just like with most city neighborhoods the feel of one section of the neighborhood might be very different for you then another section. But really, I've never felt worried and my direct neighbors are very pleasant.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-03-2011 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM

48 posts, read 101,984 times
Hey there, posted the below statement in another thread related to Villa Park. Hope it helps.

I currently live in Villa Park.
Some Positives:
Villa Park is very close to the city, 7 minute drive to downtown job for me everyday, 30 min bike ride when I do that. City Park, Highlands, Curtis Park, Cap Hill are more affluent areas of Denver that are more up as opposed to up and coming(not sure you can put any of those areas in up and coming anymore), and thus property is much more expensive.(Personally, I say over valued greatly). If you're looking to buy, longer term, you can get some good value in Villa Park: Proximity to city, quick access to I-25, access to 6th Ave for getting to 70 and mountains quickly, light rail completed in May 2013. More inexpensive property values. I consider the area safe(but read other threads here about this area or others and it's all relative to what each person feels)
Negatives:
This is an up and coming neighborhood.....in the very early up stage. There is no centralized shopping areas yet, outside of Federal Blvd if you need a mechanic, medical marijuana, or liquor; but no cute shops or nice restaurants. It's in Denver, so there is graffiti and noise.

Probably more positives and negatives than that, but that's what I think. If you're looking for value, longer term, this area is great. Light rail at 12th and knox to be completed in May 2013, makes travel to Fed center, downtown, tech center, eventually airport even easier than it is now from that area. I think, related to the light rail, some redevelopment of Federal blvd and surrounding areas will clean up the area as well and it will be a nice area.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 AM

207 posts, read 481,121 times
I'm also a longtime Villa Park booster.

I've even written a couple articles about it:

Green Building in Denver: The Location of Your Low Energy House
Green Building in Denver: How Does the Demise of Big Builder Magazine Relate to Southwest Denver?
(be sure to read the comments)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver