U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 05:59 PM

92 posts, read 105,080 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I have decided to move to Denver and would appreciate any help/advice anyone might have. I am a single retired woman with a couple of cats. I am interested in determining a safe, affordable, convenient neighborhood to move to. I prefer using public transportation. I have visited Denver a few times and even lived there as a young teenager. I would like to know about possible neighborhoods to try, weather, shopping, public transportation, continuing education. Thank you so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 06:21 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,132,876 times
Can you give us a little more to go on? Do you want to live in Denver or in a suburb? What kind of continuing education? Metro State College in DT is very accessable, has day and night classes and a lot of older students mixed in. Metro used to give a RTD (regional transportation district) pass to all students but I'm unsure if that still happens. There are also a few community colleges located throughout the city which might be an option. The only difference that weather will bring is the higher elevation you are at the more snow you will get. Higher elevations such as Golden or Morrison get more snow then the rest of Denver.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:45 PM

11,657 posts, read 32,638,123 times
Urban? Suburban? Retirement Community? New? Older? Ancient? Single Family or Townhome? Ranch style or muti-level? View of City or Mountains or both?

Weather 300+ sunny days a year. 55 inches of snow a season. Arid, Dry, Not humid. August average mid 80's. March is our snowiest month, February our least snowiest. Can snow from September to May. Can also be 100 degrees in October.

Variety.

Define affordable?

Public transportation is www.rtd-denver.com buses, and light rail.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:06 AM

Thank you both, xxman777 and 2bindenver. I am interested in living in urban Denver (probably) and am looking for continuing education opportunities - not formal classroom instruction. Here in Seattle we have several options through the community college, Discover U, and such. I hope that is clear. Also, I would like to keep rent at or under $800/month. Thank you again.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:54 PM

one bedroom or two? and how long would you like to lease for?

Old 08-01-2006, 05:10 PM

If your looking for an urban neighborhood (and want to stay out of DT) try looking at Capital Hill, Cheeseman Park, Congress Park, Wash Park and Wash Park West, Cherry Creek, Hilltop and Hale. These are probably the most urban neighborhoods. You probably won't have too much trouble staying under $800/Month but if you go too much lower I might worry about how nice of a community you are in. Be really careful if you are looking at communities online because a lot of them look nice but are actually pits. You can also try craigslist, they have some really good deals. I would suggest either visiting beforehand and getting a feel for the area or signing a very short lease to give yourself the option of moving quickly if you have to.

As far as education I know the Parks department has many classes for seniors but I don't really think that is what you are looking for. I'm sure there are other programs out there but I am unfamiliar with them. The community colleges are Community College of Denver, Arapahoe Community College (Both accessable by light rail) Community College of Aurora (right in the middle of the ghetto of Aurora) Red Rocks Community College (Lakewood and Aravada) and Front Range Community College (mostly in Westminister).

Old 08-01-2006, 06:23 PM

Thank you both again, 2binDenver and xxman777. I was thinking of the Cherry Creek neighborhood. I am getting excited now. I will probably visit Denver in October. I have been there fairly recently in spring and summer but not fall or winter yet. I want to be in a shortish-term rental while I get a chance to look around and then decide where I want to be. Once I was there in April when it snowed at 10:00 am and was 80 degrees by 4pm. Go figure.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:54 PM

October: bring snow gear and shorts

Old 08-01-2006, 09:11 PM

161 posts, read 709,263 times
did you say $800 per month, and cherry creek. i highly doubt that. you have better chance in capitol hill or cheesemen. you can get a two bdrm maybe in Glendale, not cherry creek.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:02 PM

800 for a one bedroom in Cherry Creek will probably be tough but it is doable. I had some friends who lived on Cherry st a couple of years ago for about 800 for a two bedroom. I'm sure if you looked long enough you can find something in an older bldg in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver