Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:54 AM

15 posts, read 26,292 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new to these forums but have been reading them for a while now. You guys are such a good help, reference and most of all, comfort for me especially when it comes to the idea of moving. I am a 25 year old female whose mom, brother, sister in law, niece & nephew, uncle and stepfather live in Denver. (Thornton to be exact) I stayed in NY when they moved (I was in middle school) with my father who I really didn’t get along with. Long story short, I have been completely on my own in NY (Long Island) for about 4 years now and as much as it is a struggle…the main reason why I am finally thinking of making this move is because I always feel alone. Not that I don’t have friends because I do but everyone has their own lives. I feel very lonely when it comes to not having family around and always having to do everything on my own.

So I am planning on moving to my family in Colorado end of this summer. The only thing I am truly scared of is meeting new people. The friends in my life now ive known either since the pre-school days or elementary school days. Not that I am not friendly because I am, just don’t know where to start since I have never in my life ever moved before. I just don’t want it to become where I live NY where I have no family but I have friends, to CO where ALL I have is family and nothing else. The thought is so frightening lol. I’ve been to Denver plenty of times to see the family, so I do know what’s around, just curious to see if anyone knows anywhere I can venture by myself to meet people? Or even any advice for me?

Thank you very much!

Tina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Tina, welcome to City-Data. Fear not, you'll be fine.

Start with the usual places, like LoDo, especially with baseball season about to open. All the major sports are in Denver and LoDo is the place for that scene; it's the main watering hole with a lot of clubs and food. Right there too is the 16th Street Mall, a linear pedestrian walkway with a ton of eateries and shopping. From there you can branch out into whatever interests you have, be it art, music, or whatever. Lots happening. It's a healthy city, full of people who like cycling, running, walking the dog, etc. No shortage of opportunities for meeting really neat people.

You're gonna love Colorado after being in the east coast swirl all these years. Get ready to decompress.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:20 AM

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes everytime im at the 16th street mall, i fall in love. Its just so pretty and CLEAN!! lol However, living there and being on vacation are two totally different things and you know, being on vacation, i was never to concerned about going out and making friends. However i must say, people in colorado are so extremely nice and its very refreshing yet scary sometimes lol. I am starting to get excited the more I read posts on this forum, just hope its the right thing for me!!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
You may meet some people at work. I would also suggest joining groups that do the kinds of things you like, be that sports, arts, politics, whatever. If you are a church-goer, look for a congregation with young adult activities. Just a few suggestions.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:19 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. Its scary since I never had to do things differently to meet people! I so appreciate it though

Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
You might want to try meetup.com and put in your interests (biking, kayaking, dining out, knitting, cooking, games, dogs, movies etc) and your new zip code and you'll meet different people that way, I think they ask a perimeter you're willing to travel (25,50 or 100 miles), they may even have a newcomers club (thru them or not) too. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Tina View Post
Thank you so much for the reply. Yes everytime im at the 16th street mall, i fall in love. Its just so pretty and CLEAN!! lol However, living there and being on vacation are two totally different things and you know, being on vacation, i was never to concerned about going out and making friends. However i must say, people in colorado are so extremely nice and its very refreshing yet scary sometimes lol. I am starting to get excited the more I read posts on this forum, just hope its the right thing for me!!
I left home/family for good at age 18! It was scary. From my experience, it takes at least 6 months to truly feel at home in a new place/city. Since age 18, I've made 7 major moves (moving to a new state or country) and each time it got easier. But looking back, it's been great to experience new places, cultures, and people. Life would seem boring if I had stayed where I grew up.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Honeycrisp: Thank you so much for the reference!!!

Denverian: wow thats a lot of places! Ive been on my own since 21 in NY,always scared to move lol but listening to all the places and you saying how each time got easier, puts me more at ease! Especially the 6months part. I assumed mayyybeee a year! So I hope the same goes for me! Thank you!!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:19 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Tina View Post
So I am planning on moving to my family in Colorado end of this summer. The only thing I am truly scared of is meeting new people
The wild animals are licking their lips, lying in wait to devour you

Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM

345 posts, read 973,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The wild animals are licking their lips, lying in wait to devour you
Ssshhh...dude...don't blow their cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: