Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 AM

10 posts, read 25,682 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, was hoping you could give me a little info. My wife and I will be relocating to the Centennial/Parker area from nj (jobs in aurora). One of the things we noticed in our research was all the refferences to flooding and flood plain maps being changed. While the area we live in now doesn't flood several of the surrounding towns have significant issues. Just how bad are these issues in the area and any recommendations on areas it would not be an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:01 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Check the FEMA maps.

It's hard to flood in a desert, excuse me semi-arid climate. It's not impossible.

Our water issues, as far as housing, has to do more with the slope of the landscaping than anything else.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
I would not worry one bit about flooding. Colorado simply does not have enough water to flood significantly (you will chuckle when you see our "rivers"). The last major flood in Denver was in the 1960s. Since then the state has built several dams to contain the flooding (Chatfield, Bear Creek, and Cherry Creek). You might be vunerable if you were live in a house that is directly on a creek, but even then any flooding would be very localized. You will experience more issues with hail than water.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 AM

71 posts, read 252,546 times
We have friends who live in Centennial and who back to a creek and a 100 year flood plain. In the spring the creek can get higher and fast, but in 10 years has never overflowed its banks, much less encroached on the flood plain.

If you're still concerned, I would call your insurance company and ask about a specific address (find a house that backs to a body of water, there aren't a ton). Have them run it through their database. They can tell you if flooding should be a problem and/or if they would require flood insurance. That might be a helpful process.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Floodplain maps are updated periodically. FEMA will send out map revisions to the city/county for them to incorporate into their maps. Usually not a big deal.

Don't be fooled by the fact that a particular house isn't located on a creek. The area has a lot of drainageways that will flood during a heavy rain. We have a greenbelt in our neighborhood that has a nice little concrete swale about five feet wide on the bottom that is mostly dry. However, it will fill with water from snow metling and, in a heavy rain, it overflows and gets about thirty feet wide (that's why its in a greenbelt). So there's a 100-year floodplain along there, and the houses that border the greenbelt have to have flood insurance.

If you find a house you like, you can call the city or county and find out if it is in a floodplain. You don't want the nasty surprise of additional insurance costs.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 AM

Thanks everyone i appreciate the input. I readily admit that I don't know much about the neighborhoods out there. Bit like I said two towns over just had flooding upto second story windows so the thought gets us a little jumpy

Old 03-29-2010, 09:59 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
That is not something you have to worry about in the Denver area.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Your elevation would be near sea level. Not here. We do have streams, but no ocean.

Their are other things that should concern you, but not flooding.

I see a lot of houses. I have never seen a wet basement. A wet crawl space, sure, a wet sump pit, absolutely.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:19 PM

94 posts, read 245,651 times
Quote:
Their are other things that should concern you, but not flooding.
I don't agree with this. I've seen flooded cars and houses in Denver after very heavy rain when the drainage system can't keep up.

I can recall seeing a car suffer flood damage when parked on 17th across from City Park a few years ago and last year I witnessed a family draining their garage and possibly more after heavy rains somewhere near Yosemite and Montview. When I lived in Capitol Hill a condo down the block would flood when it rained hard because the front drain could not drain fast enough and water would enter through their front door. True none of these are huge floods in the sense of Katrina but water damage all the same.

The fact is the metro area does have flood plains and something like 1/3 of all claims are filed on property outside of designated flood lands.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM

hey 2bindenver,
I'm not talking about ocean flooding, im 2 1/2 hours inland from the shore. The flooding the last several weeks has been from small streams, and rivers. Granted anytime you have 18+ inches of snow melt in two days followed by 6" of rain things happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver