Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:54 AM

24 posts, read 106,694 times

Advertisements

City-data is a extraordinary resource that wasn't available prior to the Internet,one literally had to go to the area physically in order to find things out.I have been to Denver 5 times before between '85-94 in the fall when a buddy of mine was able to get NFL tickets,like everybody whom had the pleasure and privilege to be in your gorgeous city & equally gorgeous state i fell in love with the place.Unfortunately though at the time i didn't have the money to relocate and not being a American i wouldn't be able to work there neither.So i return to Toronto,Canada witch at one time long ago was a fine city but today on top of having atrociously vicious winter and unbearably harsh scorching hot and suffocatingly humid summers,the city is beset with all sort of social issues witch as turn this once great city into a living hell!!!So I want out!!,i had a false vision of Minneapolis 'till i went there and saw what it had become,also thank's to city data i had my "rose colored glasses" about Portland Maine removed.
With Denver the picture is REAL ,therefore could one of you very helpful local members help me with identifying the kind of area i want relocate too.On page 1 a member whom seem to very high on Highland Ranch identify cherry hill village and evergreen as "super rich" my buddy parents live Greenwood Village witch 16yrs ago was very upscale is there other neighborhoods whom fit this profile and are there land lots in these area to build a custom home?or is the only option available in these area is to buy a used home?
thank you very much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 03:30 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Sure, there are some buildable lots in Cherry Hills Village. Get ready to spend a million minimum just for the lot, and it just goes up from there.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 PM

291 posts, read 2,074,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMBER 6 View Post
is there other neighborhoods whom fit this profile and are there land lots in these area to build a custom home?o
There are a few lots that come to the market from time to time in GV & CHV. Mostly they are lots that were 'attached' as a second lot for extra space around a home on the next lot. They are rare and expensive.

Therefore, more people buy a 'modest' home and tear it down. Either way, the price will be over $1 Million. There are a few 'develpments' where they will let you buy a lot and specify the layout of your house, but they will build it.

Are you looking to build in those cities, or are you looking for the most 'upscale' areas in Denver? Currently, the close-in areas just east of downtown Denver are commanding higher prices on similar size lots than the southern suburbs. And, many of the "super rich" are actually moving into close-in condos paying in the millions to be living close to the action. Brian Greise, former Bronco quarterback, and his wife just paid $2.1 for a condo near downtown...and he hasn't played for the team for several years.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:31 AM

739 posts, read 2,948,359 times
Agree w/ tfox and billradio- it is at least 1M for a teardown in Cherry Hills. Even in the desirable city neighborhoods (Denver Country Club, East WAsh Park) it is minimum 500K for a teardown- and that is on a 6250 or 6300 lot.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 AM

Thank you to BILLRADIO & tfox for your help:
To have Brian as a neighbor would be great i always liked him since the time he played near by in Michigan with the wolverines and won a national championship. To bad you bronco fans never gave him a chance...but i digress.tfox said that a land lot in those 2 areas must be a million or more,wow!these are Toronto prices,it shows that Denver is really a great place that people are rushing to.I would be willing to pay that much for a piece of land that would be large enough for me to built my dream home on but i am not looking for a DTWN condo because that's how i live now on the Toronto waterfront.What i want is a upscale area where i could built the home of my dreams,I am surprise to find out from billradio that people have to tear down old homes in CHV & GV in order to have the land to built on.I have a friend whom live in west Vancouver,where great prime land (such as the ones in CHV& GV) is scarce so people have to do just that,i subsequently seen the nightmare that he went through taring a home down and would never go through that myself.If a vacant lot wasn't available in those 2 areas, i would be looking for any suburbs around Denver that would be the equivalent of CHV & GV to built on.BILLRADIO would mention:"the most 'upscale' areas in Denver? Currently, the close-in areas just east of downtown Denver are commanding higher prices on similar size lots than the southern suburbs".... could you please identify them for me.
thank you

Old 06-07-2007, 12:57 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Hi #6,

Yes, as expensive as land is in CHV and GV, you'd pay more per unit of land in Central Denver. The ultra--high-end residences in Central Denver are usually built in Cherry Creek, Belcaro, Bonnie Brae, Hilltop, and Country Club. Not surprisingly, if you are going to build your dream home there you'd probably have to "scrape" an existing structure. Central Denver is certainly going to be a lot more urban as than CHV/GV, and much more heterogeneous in terms of incomes.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Hi #6,

Central Denver is certainly going to be a lot more urban as than CHV/GV, and much more heterogeneous in terms of incomes.
Very true. (It was why we liked it.)

Old 06-07-2007, 07:00 PM

Default information about the upscale area of Denver

Therefore if i understand(forgive me sometimes i tend to be very slow & mist the obvious):
Greenwood Village and Cherry hill village are independent cities outside of the Denver city limits,in other words they are suburban cities or part of the Greater Denver area but not Denver... dj32 said the areas name(Denver Country Club, East WAsh Park) are city neighborhoods with lot sizes of 6250 or 6300 ft.However the ultra--high-end residential areas are found in Central Denver( if i got BILLRADIO right) & these neighborhoods are Cherry Creek, Belcaro, Bonnie Brae, Hilltop, and Country Club and all of them require for a existing structure to be scraped at a cost of 500k-1M.Furthermore if i understood well even the suburban areas of CHV & GV do not escape the tare down "curse".

My questions are:
all of the above being facts,if one want to built a custom home anywhere within a 20 miles radius in a upscale area of Denver one must "tare down" a existing home FIRST!! ,therefore how far than must one go to be able to find a vacant land lot to built on ?and what kind of neighborhood would these be?
Please do not think that i am being a elitist or a snob but one will only be asking for trouble if one would built a home in area witch is 2 or 3 times the price of the other homes in the same neighborhood.

thank you everyone for the invaluable info. & to put up with my "thickness".

Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 PM

739 posts, read 2,948,359 times
#6, you may want to do some searching on local denver real estate sites. You can find some amazing custom homes on large lots in Cherry Hills, some amazing custom homes on good sized lots in Country Club, Belcaro, Bonnie Brae, East Wash Park, Observatory Lots, etc.. I think through looking online you'll be able to tell easily which ones are "tear downs" and which ones are fixer uppers or move in ready. If you are looking for custom home communities with a lot of open space and selling Lots to build homes on... I can only think of one in Cherry Hills Village right now and it is called 7 Layton Lane (you could find online). Otherwise, you are looking at a few parcesl in Cherry Hlils Village (1-1.5M) or you are looking at moving further out to Castle Pines Village, Parker, etc... I could talk all day about city differences versus suburbs or exurbs but you're in Toronto, I'm sure you get it.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:48 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Do these upscale areas also have condos and townhouses, or just individual houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver