Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
I see u didn't like AZ much why is that?

I can handle heat just not the humidity that makes u feel like u need to bathe every min.

I've lived in Phoenix and Kayenta (north AZ, on the Navajo rez), and visited Much of the state. There are a few small pockets (Flagstaff being the most notable) that I could stand to visit again. Phoenix is just a big, hot, very bland city. In the winter, it's over-run with snowbirds (as I'm sure FL is too), they all drive differently and there are accidents EVERYWHERE. In the summer, you're paying a fortune to try and stay cool. I don't care WHAT people say about 'dry heat', it was much more miserable in Phoenix than DC or Atlanta (I have 9 years between all 3 cities). Moving to Atlanta was a relief from Phoenix. (I can't stress this enough, Atlanta was a much more comfortable place to live and be out doors than Phoenix). You have to REALLY love the desert, dry, dusty, nothing green type place to want to be in Phoenix. I don't know where the 70* comes from, because through the summers I was there, I remember the LOWS being in the 80's and 90's and the highs well into the triple digits. Winter was the only bearable time for me.

Now, obviously not everyone feels that way because there's 4 million people in the Phoenix metro area and who knows how many in the rest of the state. So, by all means, give it a go and see if it's right for you. That's the reason I've lived in so many places, to see what they have to offer and find the best place for me (it's the Rockies... just something about this region that makes me feel good like no other place I've been). Sure do wish I could mix and match the best of all the places I've been.

All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM

337 posts, read 663,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I've lived in Phoenix and Kayenta (north AZ, on the Navajo rez), and visited Much of the state. There are a few small pockets (Flagstaff being the most notable) that I could stand to visit again. Phoenix is just a big, hot, very bland city. In the winter, it's over-run with snowbirds (as I'm sure FL is too), they all drive differently and there are accidents EVERYWHERE. In the summer, you're paying a fortune to try and stay cool. I don't care WHAT people say about 'dry heat', it was much more miserable in Phoenix than DC or Atlanta (I have 9 years between all 3 cities). Moving to Atlanta was a relief from Phoenix. (I can't stress this enough, Atlanta was a much more comfortable place to live and be out doors than Phoenix). You have to REALLY love the desert, dry, dusty, nothing green type place to want to be in Phoenix. I don't know where the 70* comes from, because through the summers I was there, I remember the LOWS being in the 80's and 90's and the highs well into the triple digits. Winter was the only bearable time for me.

Now, obviously not everyone feels that way because there's 4 million people in the Phoenix metro area and who knows how many in the rest of the state. So, by all means, give it a go and see if it's right for you. That's the reason I've lived in so many places, to see what they have to offer and find the best place for me (it's the Rockies... just something about this region that makes me feel good like no other place I've been). Sure do wish I could mix and match the best of all the places I've been.

All the best.
It was flagstaff that has an avg temp in the 70's. that I came across a few yrs ago. I've spoken to people that lived there and they say it's a nice place to live but it's on top of a mtn and there isn't anything to do, and it's a tourist trap.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Please no finance or career advice on the move as all is well in that department.
Good thing you said this. People on this forum have a tendency to give people financial advice even when it's not asked for.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 18,837 times
Quote:
It was flagstaff that has an avg temp in the 70's. that I came across a few yrs ago. I've spoken to people that lived there and they say it's a nice place to live but it's on top of a mtn and there isn't anything to do, and it's a tourist trap.
Flagstaff gets really cold and snows ALOT in the winter. Its in the 70's maybe 3 months outta the year. But its a beautiful city, its all pine trees. We go up there (from Phoenix) all the time in the Summer.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:38 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
I would take Flagstaff over Phoenix any day.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 PM

111 posts, read 313,992 times
The purpose of this thread was to get opinions and stories of people who recently moved to Denver. It seemed to have turned into a "what I don't like about Phoenix, or AZ" debate. I was really interested to hear what people had to say about the OP's topic but nobody has seemed to respond to it yet.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:25 PM

137 posts, read 372,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubuffalo101 View Post
That is one positive about Denver! It is warm all summer and can be hot but it is a dry heat! No humidity which makes life so much more enjoyable. I am currently living in Dallas, TX but i am fro Denver and the humidity def makes things a bit more miserable. I would def check out Denver. Its a safe, clean, and nice city. I am a native Coloradan and i plan on moving back in a month! Nothing beats the weather or people!
We are relocating and currently trying to decide between Dallas area and Denver area. I don't know how well I will do with the humidity in TX (my husband is a native texan). he'll deal with anything..... I am from AZ - "aka dry heat zone" Just how bad is it in TX and what about bugs too???? Is it hard to enjoy the outdoors in TX??? I am def a summer person......but I like to be able to go outside and not be eaten alive---this is our last move!!! Better make it right. What about the economies of the two??? Thanks cubuffalo!!~!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:43 PM

22 posts, read 53,798 times
I'm a native TX'n and I live in Denver and I'd like to tell ya to move to Dallas. I'm from Houston and these tree huggin liberals are driving me nutz!

The summers are nice for a few months here but I'd much rather be in the humidity...If you do come, invest in Chapstick!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Denver is nice. You still work hard, play hard. The suburbs can be like any suburbs...bland (personal opinion...I tend to think all suburbs in the nation are about the same.) I think if you want to live in the city, live in the city...if you want to go rural, go rural. Acquire job to suit accordingly!

I think there's plenty to do in Denver. It's not one of America's big cities, but it's fairly well concentrated and doesn't take too long to get around (compared to some cities that have their zoo, their major parks, their sports and their nightlife about as far apart from one another as possible.) It's no Hollywood, but then that's a relief =) If you like outdoor activities, it's not hard to make friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: