Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:35 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish24 View Post
Thank you. Nice houses.
I have written off Highlands Ranch from my search...too many houses too close to one another...
This is a common problem in Denver. The lots are very small and the bigger they get, the more expensive they are. If you thought Highlands Ranch was too close together, you'll find the same problem over on this side of the city (SE Aurora/Centennial).

What I've found is that in every subdivision, there are what is considered "premium lots." Those are the ones on a corner (bigger yard), with open space behind (at least makes it "feel" bigger) or open space on the side. We have the open space behind us and it makes all the difference. Still not much space between houses (though the newer areas have even LESS space in between houses), but the backyard doesn't go right up against someone else's yard. I would hate to sit on my deck and have my backyard neighbor looking from their deck right into my yard. It would make me fell claustrophobic! But, our house is on what's considered a "premium" lot which means the original owner paid more for the spot to put his house on. Well worth it, IMHO. Anyway, it's something to consider because land is very expensive in Denver. Even in Highlands Ranch, there are houses on the "premium lots" and if I were going to commute downtown but wanted mountain views, I would start searching in HR and then look for the larger lot with a house on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,959 times
I have owned three houses in the Denver area. There are different kinds of mountain views depending on how far away you are from the mountains and the elevation the house is at. The best mountain view I had was my first house (actually a townhome) around Belleview and Sante Fe. It was positioned fairly high facing West with nothing built in front of it...fabulous mountain views!

The next home I owned was at Fox Hollow Golf Course in the area of Kipling and Morrison Road. Great neighborhood but so close to foothills that there really wasn't a "mountain" view. I am now in the Grant Ranch neighborhood in Littleton/lakewood. Good mountain views when we were building but as soon as the house behind us was built, we can only see mountains from one upstairs window. Your best bet is to really drive around a lot and familiarize yourself with all the neighborhhods and really look to see what you would be seeing if you buy there.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
What's with the Calculus terminology, man?
Sorry, I'm a math head

Old 05-05-2010, 04:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
$367,000

REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=875334 - broken link)

or this one for $315,000

REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=874355 - broken link)
Yikes! That site is good. Thanks

I just found an apartment with a 4 month lease and I have told myself that 4 months is the time I get all my crapola together and work on getting a CO home.

It's so weird, I was so adamant about settling close to NYC previously, but now I've fallen in love with this state.

But I have a stupid question. If I am buying a 500K house, say, I heard 20% is the general down payment and that would make it 100K. I don't have that kind of money in my savings account yet, so I may have to funnel some Daddy fund from back home. Is there a way to avoid that kind of payment, coz I can seriously use that amount of money in other stuff and not put it down on the house? Besides, my brother may or may not like it.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:29 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,417,668 times
20% down will mean there is no private mortgage insurance.
You don't need to spend that much. Look at what your needs are and focus on those and what that will cost.
If your daddy wants to gift you money, let him put the money in your savings account and let it grow.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:07 PM

22 posts, read 40,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post

What I've found is that in every subdivision, there are what is considered "premium lots." Those are the ones on a corner (bigger yard), with open space behind (at least makes it "feel" bigger) or open space on the side. We have the open space behind us and it makes all the difference. Still not much space between houses (though the newer areas have even LESS space in between houses), but the backyard doesn't go right up against someone else's yard. I would hate to sit on my deck and have my backyard neighbor looking from their deck right into my yard. It would make me fell claustrophobic! But, our house is on what's considered a "premium" lot which means the original owner paid more for the spot to put his house on. Well worth it, IMHO. Anyway, it's something to consider because land is very expensive in Denver. Even in Highlands Ranch, there are houses on the "premium lots" and if I were going to commute downtown but wanted mountain views, I would start searching in HR and then look for the larger lot with a house on it.

Thank you. That was helpful suggestion.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:36 PM

22 posts, read 40,116 times
Are there any other neigbourhoods in and around Denver (within commute distance of Greenwood Village, but closer to Downtown) other than SE Aurora in which houses have Mountain views?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,417,668 times
I saw one this week in Englewood and another in Centennial with killer views under $300,000.

The challenge you face is that the suburbs are higher in elevation than the city.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,273 times
I have a mountain view and live in Englewood. I would think you could find a mountain view in many different areas since it will all depend on the individual lot. Being on a hill will help your chances of course.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:37 PM

6,774 posts, read 9,327,743 times
Some of the homes that are west of Parker Rd between Florida Ave and Iliff have mountain views because they sit up a bit higher than the surrounding area. Some of that area is Denver and some is Unincorporated Arapahoe County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver