Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 PM

12 posts, read 44,511 times

Advertisements

The stop will depend on your start time. Gallup is over half way, so that is a good target.

Take 25 to ABQ and head west on 40. You can cut some time off by turning south at Holbrook and get on 377 south to 260 to 87 into Scottsdale/Phoenix.

Raton pass is nasty. Things can also be iffy between there and Santa Fe. Then, usually Ok until well west of ABQ when you head back uphill.

If the weather is terrible, you might want to skip the shortcut and go all the way to Flagstaff and south just to stay on the interstate..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 11,687 times
Default drive

Nasty like snow?? Have had enough of that this winter. Thanks for your reply and will check out Gallup.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
We did the ABQ to Phoenix leg for spring training.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 AM

123 posts, read 551,412 times
The drive's pretty about 12 hours, mostly going thru plains and desert. Check the weather for Raton Pass and Flagstaff. Yes,they're most likely places to see snow on the way. If stopping, Albuquerque is about 1/2 way and would be nice if you want to spend some time in Sante Fe, or stay in Gallup, lots of motels either place.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 PM

9 posts, read 30,467 times
I am traveling from Flagstaff to Boulder, Colorado in April. My daughter, who is a new driver is following behind me in her car. Which route is the least stressful and safe going between these 2 cities? We will stop overnight when we get half way or so. Do you know of a good town to stop in ? Site seeing is not what we are wanting. We just want to get to Boulder CO from Flagstaff in April with one night's stay (maybe 2?). Which route would you recommend for 2 single women with 2 cars and no mechanical abilities ? FLAGSTAFF,AZ TO BOULDER, CO ? Thank you so much.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Look at Google Maps to get an idea of the route and timing. Probably the easiest will be I-40 from Flagstaff to Albuquerque, then north on I-25 though Denver to Highway 36 to Boulder. There is one mountain pass at the New Mexico/Colorado border, but it is not difficult. You could stop in Albuquerque, then again in Pueblo if you want to break up the trip without "sight seeing".

This is a really long trip (close to 800 miles) for a new driver to be doing on her own. Just a suggestion that you find an adult to ride with her and trade off the driving.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,062 times
I am about to travel (in late November) from Boulder, Co to Sedona. I had planned on making the drive alone, with two dogs in one day. Is it possible? I am a seasoned traveler, driving from the Mojave desert of California to Boulder at least three times or more a year. I have two adult children in Colorado, so I have a good excuse to visit this gorgeous part of the world. I understand that the route through Albuquerque is faster albeit not by much. Is it possible to do a 12 hour drive in one day and not feel like death warmed over?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:45 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,461 times
According to google, it's an hour faster to take I70 across the mountains and then turn South at Moab UT. If the weather is rough, then I would go through Albuquerque.

Have you ever driven 12 hours straight?

Old 11-18-2015, 05:14 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Zen, only you would know what you can do. Personally, I think that driving half that much would be a full day. Why push it and end up falling asleep at the wheel?

BTW, it's 12 hours driving time from Boulder to Sedona. Would you not have to stop and gas up and eat and use a bathroom?

Old 11-18-2015, 06:06 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
I've done Winslow to Arvada straight through, driving a moving truck.

Had time to have lunch at Los Pollos Hermanos in Albuquerque, but by the end of the trip I was more than glad it was over.

IMO, it's not worth the trouble to stretch that far. This coming from a guy that did a 4,000+ mile trip over 13 days this past summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver