Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:32 AM

14 posts, read 44,467 times

Advertisements

I just moved from Florida and family will be out in June. I'm working in Jefferson County. In Florida, you go to kindergarten for a full day, period. What is up with the half-day/full-day kindergarten thing? And paying $300 for it?

Also, are you guaranteed enrollment in your neighborhood school?

Educate me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,187,568 times
I am not familiar with every district but, yes, that is the norm, at least in the North metro area. Up here in Broomfield they've been cutting full-day quite a bit and now there are waiting lists for just one full-day class -- if it's even offered at all, it's on the chopping block every year -- and you do have to pay some type of fee. You can always go the private full-day Kindergarten route but you'll pay considerably more than $300/month. Separately, yes, you are guaranteed enrollment, if you meet the deadlines for registration.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:05 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,234,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjeppesen View Post
I just moved from Florida and family will be out in June. I'm working in Jefferson County. In Florida, you go to kindergarten for a full day, period. What is up with the half-day/full-day kindergarten thing? And paying $300 for it?

Also, are you guaranteed enrollment in your neighborhood school?

Educate me....
I believe a few districts in the metro area offer full-day free kindergarten to certain high risk students.

With half-day kindergaraten, some schools offer a fee based day care program for the other half of the school day. The $300 fee (monthly?) is for the non-instructional portion of the school day. Boulder Valley School District calls it "K-care".

You are generally guaranteed enrollment in your neighborhood school. If your neighborhood school is full, your school district will place your child in another school and provide transportation if necessary. (At least that's how they do it in BVSD.)

Old 05-02-2010, 03:53 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,137,365 times
You should be able to register in your neighborhood school. There is a waiting list if you want to go to a different district or another school within your district.

As for Kindergarten, it depends on what school district you're in. In Cherry Creek School District, the Kindergarten day is a 1/2 one (even though it's not even "half" since it goes from 7:55 to 10:40 am or from 11:55-2:40). You chose either morning or afternoon Kindergarten and then you can pay to enroll your kids in what CCSD calls "before and after care" which is basically daycare but located at school. It's also cheaper than a private daycare but because of that, there is always a waiting list unless you sign up for it as soon as it's available. Last year, there was a line forming almost 4 hours before registration opened.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:08 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,234,855 times
So Boulder Valley is back to calling it Kindergarten Enrichment. That's what it was called when my youngest was in K, 18 years ago. Then they switched it to K-Care. "Enrichment" is supposed to make you think it's more than day care.

http://bvsd.org/KE/Pages/default.aspx

Old 05-03-2010, 02:40 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,757,461 times
In CCSD it's called Kindergarten Enrichment, which is the same length of time as the kindergarten. Together the two sessions run from 8am to 2:30pm, a 'full' day.

As Kindergarten is not required in CO, you are not forced to pay and put your kid in enrichment, you are quite welcome to keep them at home or send them to private K. My son's enrichment teacher was a licensed kindergarten teacher, and I felt they certainly did more learning and activities than a plain daycare. But again, it's 3 hours a day so they try to squeeze a lot into that amount of time. Once the K/enrichment class is over at 2:30, you can additionally place them in after-school care, which is the unstructured "daycare" at the school. That closes at 6pm.

You can be put into the regular classes all year long provided you live in that school's neighborhood. Enrichment is first come first served, as 3D mentioned there's usually a line formed starting at 4am the morning of enrichment signup.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:05 PM

What about Jefferson County? It appears that almost all of them have full-day kindergarten. Looks like 93 elementary schools in Jeffco. Amazing. I moved from SW FL. If they had schools for retired people, there'd probably be that many too.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,038,385 times
have you checked the JeffCo schools web site?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Yes, I talked to them today. Apparently, you're guaranteed enrollment in your neighborhood school, but only "half-day" guaranteed. But probably full-day. I'm frustrated because my kid's been going to a private montessorri type school for 2 years now for full day and he's starting to read already. He'll be 5 next month. Is kindergarten really just a "daycare" here?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,348,269 times
Huh? How do you figure if Kindergarten is 1/2 day it must be "just a daycare"? Traditionally, Kindergarten has been 1/2 day. In some cases full day is offered if the school has the demand and the resources to offer it. Typically it is offered as space is available (and often there is also a cost).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver