Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:40 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times

Advertisements

When I first moved here in 1998 and lived in an apartment in the DTC, I switched back and forth between a King Soopers and an Albertson's.

When I moved to my townhouse in Aurora, I switched back and forth between an Albertson's and a Safeway.

At my current place, I pretty much shop exclusively at King Soopers now, since of all the chains mentioned, they have two stores closest to me. (Sprouts has one near one of the King Soopers, but I like to collect the gas points.)

I didn't know Dollar Tree sold groceries. I thought they were more like a Walgreens, where they might sell a few items here and there, but not full-on groceries with produce and everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 09:48 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
We are a Costco and Sprouts family. Occasionally we hit up King Soopers.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:36 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Interesting to read through this thread from the beginning and seeing what's changed but also what's remained the same. There are definitely still food deserts in Denver, 8 years down the road. I volunteer at a food bank, and we always ask the participants about whether they have easy access to a grocery store and quite a number say no.

Northeast Denver still has pretty limited options. They finally opened the second King Soopers in Stapleton, and we will be getting a Sprouts soon too, but there is still nothing north of Colfax in Park Hill and I think in most of the adjoining neighborhoods to the west.

My own shopping is mostly split between King Soopers and Sprouts, with an occasional visit to Walmart Neighborhood Market (every couple of months or so) where I stock up on frozen, canned goods, health and beauty, cleaning products, but don't buy much fresh foods there. I have a family member who picks up a few things for me when they go to Costco. I don't get enough there to warrant a membership at this point in time but would likely join again if they ever opened a store somewhere in the Stapleton, or maybe Commerce City, area.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
King Soopers, Costco and Sprouts. Depending on what it is and how much I need.

King Soopers for most dairy, basic staples and occasional things like hamburger buns or sandwich bags.

Sprouts for fresh fruits and veg and bulk purchases like rice and nuts.

Costco for meat, dog food, some larger frozen stuff, Stacey's Pita chips (so expensive at KS and Sprouts!), paper products and some cleaning supplies.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:33 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I volunteer at a food bank, and we always ask the participants about whether they have easy access to a grocery store and quite a number say no.
I'm assuming "easy access" means walking distance, or convenient bus routes. Without a car, I'd guess the "deserts" get a lot bigger. I have two King Soopers, a Safeway and a Natural Grocers that a couple of minutes' drive... but if I had no car, getting groceries would be a big effort. I'd have to walk two blocks to a bus stop at best.

So what's considered a "desert" these days, and what's the solution - try to go back to a supermarket in every neighborhood and bodegas on as many outlying corners as possible?

Old 04-04-2018, 12:38 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
My local King Soopers (Belmar) recently underwent an expansion and I really dislike the store now, more than I used to. I have found them to have frequent pricing errors and not surprisingly, the mis-priced items are always higher than what's marked or advertised. OTOH, I've never seen a pricing error at Sprouts. My biggest peeve, since the expansion, is fewer manned cashiers and a large increase in self-checkout lines, which I refuse to use.

There's a Whole Foods nearby, and I wonder if anyone can comment on their prices since Amazon bought them out? I haven't been inside one for several years.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:46 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'm assuming "easy access" means walking distance, or convenient bus routes. Without a car, I'd guess the "deserts" get a lot bigger. I have two King Soopers, a Safeway and a Natural Grocers that a couple of minutes' drive... but if I had no car, getting groceries would be a big effort. I'd have to walk two blocks to a bus stop at best.

So what's considered a "desert" these days, and what's the solution - try to go back to a supermarket in every neighborhood and bodegas on as many outlying corners as possible?
We don't define easy access for them, because yes, individual circumstances make a huge difference. For some people, it means they need it within walking distance so they can bring their fold-able grocery cart with them to get the food home. For others, as long as it's on their usual bus route, they consider that reasonably easy access even if it means they need to stop at the market more frequently to have a manageable amount to carry each time.

Some people live places where they have to drive, which is fine if they have a car, and many participants do. But others have to rely on a family member or friend to take them to the store each time, because they don't have enough to cover the groceries they need plus a cab fare.

I will say that a lot of participants are quicker to both ask for and offer help than average though. When someone does have a car, it's very common that they come to the food bank with a friend or neighbor so they can get their own food as well. I haven't specifically asked but I suspect it's similar even to go to the grocery store, and that it's not thought of as a big imposition if someone asks for a ride there.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:47 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

I think it means that in an urban area you’re over a mile or two from a grocery store that has fresh produce. If the only stores within a mile of you have high fat, high sugar foods and no fresh food, you’re in a food desert.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I think it means that in an urban area you’re over a mile or two from a grocery store that has fresh produce. If the only stores within a mile of you have high fat, high sugar foods and no fresh food, you’re in a food desert.
Here's the USDA defintion:
https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...documentation/
Like all government documents, this is a long rambling article; I suggest people read it themselves. The type of food store they are referencing is a supermarket.
"In the Food Access Research Atlas, low access to healthy food is defined as being far from a supermarket, supercenter, or large grocery store ("supermarket" for short). A census tract is considered to have low access if a significant number or share of individuals in the tract is far from a supermarket."

The distance is 1/2 mile, or 1 mile, or 10 miles depending. (I am not making this up). Many people dispute the definition, as smaller grocery stores also sell fresh foods.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:29 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
I have three King Soopers near me that are less than four miles away. I also have a Safeway across the road from my neighborhood that I could easily walk to but I rarely go to. I only shop at Safeway if we need something fast. There is also a Whole Foods not too far away but I skip that to shop at Sprouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver