Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:30 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times

Advertisements

Craigslist isn't actually a bad place to find jobs either, I saw stuff on there that wasn't posted on the usual places like Dice, Monster, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:50 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
Salary boards are like the Kelly Blue Book of used cars. You never get close to trade in values for your car. I go by what the employer is offering.
I buy and sell used vehicles and I find that KBB is an excellent and accurate reference for "private party" sales. I also use ebay as a gauge for what people are willing to pay for a particular vehicle and have found that it's almost always in sync with kbb.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:30 PM

529 posts, read 1,326,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I buy and sell used vehicles and I find that KBB is an excellent and accurate reference for "private party" sales. I also use ebay as a gauge for what people are willing to pay for a particular vehicle and have found that it's almost always in sync with kbb.
That's a good point on Private Party. But when you try to use it to trade in, it doesn't work.

I took my car to the local Toyota dealership because they had another car I wanted. When the saleperson brought up the kbb trade-in value it was one figure. I ultimately sold the car to Carmax in ABQ. The KBB figure was higher there and both dealers rated the car in good condition.

I don't understand why someone would pay retail (to a dealer) for a car on ebay that they haven't touched or driven but they do.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
That's a good point on Private Party. But when you try to use it to trade in, it doesn't work.
The reason it's a good reference for private sales is because a lot of people use kbb.com when they're buying or selling a car through an ad in the local paper / ebay /etc.

The reason it doesn't work with dealers is because dealers are in the business of ripping off everyone who comes through the door. Okay that's a bit harsh. Yes, dealers have overhead - they have to pay for the lot, pay their employees, and so on, but it doesn't justify the pressure tactics they use on all their customers or the games they play with numbers. I can assure you that for all practical purposes they receive all their trade-ins for free.

I can understand that a lot of people prefer to use dealerships because they aren't mechanically saavy and don't trust themselves to be able to discern a good vehicle from a lemon. However, I'm the type of person who likes to empower the public, so I will say this: with a little bit of education anybody can make good decisions when buying directly from private owners!! I encourage people to boycott dealers!!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 AM

86 posts, read 423,290 times
Quote:
However, I'm the type of person who likes to empower the public, so I will say this: with a little bit of education anybody can make good decisions when buying directly from private owners!! I encourage people to boycott dealers!!
I have to agree...I was at a dealer here in FL, and I had a 67 bug to trade for their truck. According to KBB, I was ahead. The guy came out then told me they dont go by the kbb for my car, then proceeded to whip out the kbb book for his truck. I didnt say a word...just drove off...

Dealers...no more for me either.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
I have to agree...I was at a dealer here in FL, and I had a 67 bug to trade for their truck. According to KBB, I was ahead. The guy came out then told me they dont go by the kbb for my car, then proceeded to whip out the kbb book for his truck. I didnt say a word...just drove off...

Dealers...no more for me either.

Good for you! Anybody else have success stories?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:49 AM

529 posts, read 1,326,056 times
Quote:
I can understand that a lot of people prefer to use dealerships because they aren't mechanically saavy and don't trust themselves to be able to discern a good vehicle from a lemon. However, I'm the type of person who likes to empower the public, so I will say this: with a little bit of education anybody can make good decisions when buying directly from private owners!! I encourage people to boycott dealers!!
I suppose if they weren't car savy and were really interested, they could take it to a mechanic and have it looked over.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I suppose if they weren't car savy and were really interested, they could take it to a mechanic and have it looked over.
Definitely a good option. 1000x better than going to a dealer.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:38 AM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
What was the topic again? Oh yeah. Any jobs in Denver?

I knew of a medical manufacturer in what's now called Centennial, where they have job stability like you wouldn't believe. They just didn't pay too well.

I would imagine that home remodeling and roofing would be pretty stable compared to other jobs. If you can weld or have some other trade skill, you can probably pick your employment.

From what I've heard, Denver is hurting like everywhere else. It's just seemingly a place that's over-priced with relatively low wages. Sorry if this has already been stated 50 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver