Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times

Advertisements

Do employers in Denver see a Colorado Springs address as out of the area and toss them in the first cut or is there enough movement back and forth that its considered local?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Do employers in Denver see a Colorado Springs address as out of the area and toss them in the first cut or is there enough movement back and forth that its considered local?
I have an Aurora address and have had several interviews in Colorado Springs before, but who knows if I may have missed some because of location reasons. Now does that work the other way around? I'm not sure.

I think it would be better to be "located" in Denver/Denver suburbs for Front Range job searching than Colorado Springs-- much more opportunities overall.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 PM

Did anyone ask why you were applying for a job 70 miles away?

The issue I have is that the people we're most comfortable about asking to use their address are in Colorado Springs. We sort of know a couple of other people in the Denver area but not as well. All of the jobs being applied for would be in the Denver metro.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:27 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Did anyone ask why you were applying for a job 70 miles away?
At one place, sounds kind of funny, but I don't think they even looked at my address. When I got to the interview they asked me if I was living in Colorado Springs, then seemed kind of surprised when I told them I was living in the Denver area, which was already plainly clear on my resume. I didn't get that job, but mainly because that interview went bad.

At another place, no questions asked. I told them I'm staying with my family while I search for jobs throughout the front range.

Quote:
The issue I have is that the people we're most comfortable about asking to use their address are in Colorado Springs. We sort of know a couple of other people in the Denver area but not as well. All of the jobs being applied for would be in the Denver metro.
In that case I would definitely work on getting a Denver address. You could potentially end up missing jobs if something things "the springs... that's too far away."

Old 05-20-2010, 08:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
The "wild card" is that you have no way of knowing what the hiring manager thinks. I once worked in Northglenn and had a co-worker from Monument, just north of COS. I know someone who drove from Erie to the Air Force Academy every day to work for several years. Some employers don't care, think you'll move or work it out, others see it as a liablility.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
I've interviewed out-of-state before and found the best way around these issues was to have a local MailBoxes, Etc. mailbox. I'm not sure that particular company exists anymore, but I'm sure there are others. In case someone doesn't know, the only rule is the company asks that you not use "Mailbox 222" on one's coorespondence, but Ste. 222, Rm. 222, #222, Apt. 222, etc, since many use it as their "office" address or for purposes such as yours.

I'd prefer to spend my time selling myself on an interview rather than explaining why I'm living in A, but wanting to work in B or addressing the myriad of fears that may be in the mind of the interviewer in this tougher job market. Make it simpler on yourself so you can bypass any of that & perhaps check into a local mailbox. I had mine 20-yrs ago in Seattle and it was $13/mo. I paid a small additional fee to have them periodically mail my coorespondence to Atlanta. I'm sorry I don't know today's rates, but it would only likely be for a few months. And, you shouldn't miss anything important... if a company is interested in you, it's doubtful they'd notify you via mail... they'll be calling.

Best of luck with your interviewing!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:22 AM

87 posts, read 346,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I've interviewed out-of-state before and found the best way around these issues was to have a local MailBoxes, Etc. mailbox. I'm not sure that particular company exists anymore, but I'm sure there are others. In case someone doesn't know, the only rule is the company asks that you not use "Mailbox 222" on one's coorespondence, but Ste. 222, Rm. 222, #222, Apt. 222, etc, since many use it as their "office" address or for purposes such as yours.

I'd prefer to spend my time selling myself on an interview rather than explaining why I'm living in A, but wanting to work in B or addressing the myriad of fears that may be in the mind of the interviewer in this tougher job market. Make it simpler on yourself so you can bypass any of that & perhaps check into a local mailbox. I had mine 20-yrs ago in Seattle and it was $13/mo. I paid a small additional fee to have them periodically mail my coorespondence to Atlanta. I'm sorry I don't know today's rates, but it would only likely be for a few months. And, you shouldn't miss anything important... if a company is interested in you, it's doubtful they'd notify you via mail... they'll be calling.

It's not terribly expensive now, either. We used a box at The UPS Store for me to circulate resumes with a Denver address prior to us moving out here. I'd suggest doing the same. I want to say we paid somewhere around $20/month for a medium sized box and then they would mail it to me no extra charge if I needed them to (some weeks he was here, some weeks at home in AR).

Old 05-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Mail Boxes Etc got bought by UPS a few years ago and now operates under the name The UPS Store. After checking their web site, I found a location in the Denver area that itself doesn't have a suite number so we can append the box number to their street address and make it look a little less like a mailbox. My wife was able to set it up over the phone and they can forward mail to us for an extra fee. There won't be much, if any, mail, so that won't be a problem. It was $19/mo for a 6 month contract. She already has a 303 number forwarded to her cell so hopefully she can get some interviews.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
... I found a location in the Denver area that itself doesn't have a suite number so we can append the box number to their street address and make it look a little less like a mailbox. My wife was able to set it up over the phone and they can forward mail to us for an extra fee. There won't be much, if any, mail, so that won't be a problem. It was $19/mo for a 6 month contract. She already has a 303 number forwarded to her cell so hopefully she can get some interviews.
I'm more than a little confused then. Why are you having issues using a CO Springs address prior to relocating to Denver, as you addressed in your original post, when you could easily use your wife's Denver mailbox/address? Did I miss something?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I'm more than a little confused then. Why are you having issues using a CO Springs address prior to relocating to Denver, as you addressed in your original post, when you could easily use your wife's Denver mailbox/address? Did I miss something?
My wife is looking for work in Denver. We have friends in Colorado Springs and were thinking of asking to use their address on applications. When I asked, I didn't know that the UPS Store would be able to set up a box over the phone and could forward mail to us. Based on your post and further research, we decided to rent a mail box at a UPS Store in the Denver area and not bother our friends in Colorado Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver