Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2010, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Reputation: 3424

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I wasn't trying to be unfriendly.

You were obviously offended by my post, but no need to take anything I said personally. You are reading waaay to deep into what I said. No personal insults were intended, merely a friendly post that provided my inputs to this thread. Anyone is free to either take what I said with a grain of salt, or leave it entirely in the dustbin.

No worries. I wasn't offended by your post & as we say in the UK, I was pulling the p*ss with ya... nothing more. I did think, however, that you weren't paying attention... hence my having a laugh... at your expense.

I guess I see why most of my posts go without reply... no one gets my humor.

Last edited by PatanjaliTwist; 05-24-2010 at 05:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2010, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Reputation: 3424
All, very useful info you listed, Davros, thanks very much. Each clarification from a local always makes getting around & about far easier & I appreciate it very much.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Yes, do remember to check out Cheesman Park and Capitol Hill, but no need to resign from the forum.

Haha... Now you're talkin'... I might have forgotten had you not jogged my memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 08:53 AM
 
68 posts, read 127,590 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Update: From what I can see, it looks like the areas I'd be interested in are, in order of interest: Cherry Creek, Platte Pk, Washington Pk, Lodo, perhaps Chessman Pk. I can find the Chessman Pk/Capital Hill neighborhood area on the map, as obviously, it's near Chessman Pk. Same with Platte/Washington. Can anyone tell me which park/s is located in the Lodo & Cherry Creek areas? Mayfair might be a possibility... again, can anyone tell me the name of a park in the Mayfair area, please?
Washington Park is not a very walkable place and is not close enough to downtown to make it an easy walk. The same can be said for Cherry Creek.

I don't think you have a good feel for what Denver is and would suggest you visit before attempting to understand the various trade-offs, both large and small associated with all of the areas you listed.

Given your first post, I would stick with Capitol Hill, Uptown (North Capitol Hill), Cheeseman or Congress Parks, City Park or City Park West. In that order really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 AM
 
3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogotrep View Post
Washington Park is not a very walkable place and is not close enough to downtown to make it an easy walk. The same can be said for Cherry Creek.

I don't think you have a good feel for what Denver is and would suggest you visit before attempting to understand the various trade-offs, both large and small associated with all of the areas you listed.

Given your first post, I would stick with Capitol Hill, Uptown (North Capitol Hill), Cheeseman or Congress Parks, City Park or City Park West. In that order really.
I'm not sure why you don't find Cherry Creek walkable, but you find Congress Park walkable.

Cherry Creek has grocery stores, a mall, a small movie theater, restaurants, etc which Congress Park does not really have any of. True, it's a long walk from Cherry Creek to downtown (more than 3 miles), but they do have the 83L bus to downtown running every 10 minutes at rush hour.

I've never lived in Cherry Creek, so I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong. I'm just wondering why you don't think Cherry Creek is walkable. I have walked around in that neighborhood a number of times shopping (no car).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 10:04 AM
 
3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
No worries. I wasn't offended by your post & as we say in the UK, I was pulling the p*ss with ya... nothing more. I did think, however, that you weren't paying attention... hence my having a laugh... at your expense.

I guess I see why most of my posts go without reply... no one gets my humor.
You're right, I wasn't really paying attention. I definitely could have made a better post (such as "I've now learned what a dink is. For those who don't know it's double income no kids. Personally, if I lived in Capitol Hill, I wouldn't even want a car, so I think you'd be fine there without one. There's lots of info on Capitol Hill on this forum." ) Oh well, such is forum life, thanks for the good humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 10:15 AM
 
299 posts, read 712,028 times
Reputation: 172
I just want to add a thought:

Cherry Creek has some very walkable areas, for sure. If you live within walking distance of the mall area you'll have quite a selection of just about everything. But keep one thing in mind: that area has a very different feeling to it than some of the other areas being discussed.

Specifically, Cherry Creek has a sort of an outdoor mall feeling. The center of the walkable areas consists of many blocks of retail, restaurants, etc. but it all seems to be quite recently built/developed - especially when you compare it to a walkable neighborhood in NYC, Boston, etc. Cherry Creek reminds me of Rockville Town Square in Montgomery County, MD if you have ever been there. No grittiness whatsoever.

Lots of folks like things that way! I prefer the older areas. Very different style in Cherry Creek as compared to Capitol Hill or LoDo, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Reputation: 5447
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
I just want to add a thought:

Cherry Creek has some very walkable areas, for sure. If you live within walking distance of the mall area you'll have quite a selection of just about everything. But keep one thing in mind: that area has a very different feeling to it than some of the other areas being discussed.

Specifically, Cherry Creek has a sort of an outdoor mall feeling. The center of the walkable areas consists of many blocks of retail, restaurants, etc. but it all seems to be quite recently built/developed - especially when you compare it to a walkable neighborhood in NYC, Boston, etc. Cherry Creek reminds me of Rockville Town Square in Montgomery County, MD if you have ever been there. No grittiness whatsoever.

Lots of folks like things that way! I prefer the older areas. Very different style in Cherry Creek as compared to Capitol Hill or LoDo, in my opinion.
If you want true grittiness, diversity, people walking the streets at all times of day and night, and true walkability to every essential needed for daily life-- tons of grocery stores, clothing, tools, inexpensive restaurants-- the most truly urban neighborhood in the metro area is none of the above: the downtown Aurora section of East Colfax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 10:49 AM
 
299 posts, read 712,028 times
Reputation: 172
Yea I think you may be right! I frequently walk down High St from 23rd Ave to Colfax and it's a bit gritty down there, too! Downtown isn't really 'gritty, but it is very old and has a sort of authenticity to it (like, it's been downtown for a long time rather than being 'creating as one' recently).

I like old and slightly gritty, but when we lived in NYC I had enough grit to last a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogotrep View Post
I don't think you have a good feel for what Denver is and would suggest you visit before attempting to understand the various trade-offs, both large and small associated with all of the areas you listed.
Yes, I've visited but don't know the layout... but, visiting beforehand, as I mentioned in my initial post, is completely unnecessary for a 1/2-dozen reasons, also listed.

As a renter who always signs a short-term lease no matter where I live AND is only staying 1-yr, if the initial area isn't my cup of tea, I'll stay a month & move to another part of the city. I've criss-crossed my way around the world & truly have no fear tied up in these sorts of decisions... if it doesn't work, choose another bldg, street, complex, area. Very, very easy for a single... had I 3 school aged children and/or 4 huge Mastiffs, another story completely.

As I said before, I've NEVER rented an apt by seeing it first, anywhere. Did I mention never, ever... anywhere? I've had more than 18... I've stopped counting... it hurts my head. It's always been great. As you've probably guessed, I've clothing, coffee pot (espresso maker, actually), lip liner... what else do I need?

Quote:
Given your first post, I would stick with Capitol Hill, Uptown (North Capitol Hill), Cheeseman or Congress Parks, City Park or City Park West. In that order really.
Thanks for your input. Since others have so kindly suggested them, I will check them out.

Too bad Davros didn't suggest Capitol Hill or Cheesman Pk... s/he's falling behind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
... I wasn't really paying attention. I definitely could have made a better post...
No worries, don't take it seriously. Your post was fine... & gave me a chuckle. I hold no grudges, take no prisoners & other assorted things.

Quote:
Oh well, such is forum life, thanks for the good humor.
And, you, as well. Input is great, I listen, but I don't take it to heart. This is all personal opinion, after all. Since most of us don't know each other personally, well, there ya go... utilize what sounds good & backs up your own research, then just go for it.

Choosing the perfect apt is the least of my woes. In fact, I have no woes... I tell them to go away. I tend not to use a flat much anyway. I'll rather be out walking, talking & snickering when I see you trying to parallel park in Capitol Hill...

Thanks for your replies & for your fun spirit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:35 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top