Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:07 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
Specifically, Cherry Creek has a sort of an outdoor mall feeling. The center of the walkable areas consists of many blocks of retail, restaurants, etc. but it all seems to be quite recently built/developed - especially when you compare it to a walkable neighborhood in NYC, Boston, etc. Cherry Creek reminds me of Rockville Town Square in Montgomery County, MD if you have ever been there. No grittiness whatsoever.
Thank you OneMore. I'm not familiar with MD, but a nice switch to newer, cleaner & perhaps a bit more upscale would be welcomed... although, I can function anywhere.

Cherry Ck is sounding better & better to me.

Quote:
Lots of folks like things that way! I prefer the older areas. Very different style in Cherry Creek as compared to Capitol Hill or LoDo, in my opinion.
Very good. Sounds a lot of varying areas for me to check out. I may just move after my 1-3 months lease is up... tends to be my pattern. I just want to get there... a few months anywhere is bearable.

Thank you again for your input... it's been very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
If you want true grittiness, diversity, people walking the streets at all times of day and night, and true walkability to every essential needed for daily life-- tons of grocery stores, clothing, tools, inexpensive restaurants-- the most truly urban neighborhood in the metro area is none of the above: the downtown Aurora section of East Colfax.
Thanks Vegas. Sounds like most of the areas I've lived. A definite place to check into.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Thanks Vegas. Sounds like most of the areas I've lived. A definite place to check into.
I personally would never live in Aurora's East Colfax area myself... but that's because I'm a sheltered white boy from the suburbs. Demographically, it's a majority Hispanic area with a large black population and a small Korean community as well, little to no white people. It's known as a low income, high crime area, but whether or not that's too high or not for you depends on what you're used to. There's "urban," and then there's urban. This place is the latter.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 PM

68 posts, read 127,563 times
It really is not that bad. The area mentioned is often referred to as the Aurora Arts District. I spend a good deal of time down there as I have a couple of rentals in the area and a very good friend who paid next to nothing for a place right just off of Colfax on Elmira.

There are a lot of Spanish speakers in the neighborhood and not many African American people remaining until you get a bit further south and east these days.

To understand the neighborhood you need to understand its history. Aurora was a small place until about 1950 when it simply took off. Most of the housing stock in the area dates from 1950 to 1965 or so. Many homes were very well built and most were owned by the original owners for 30 or 40 years. People starting migrating that way when Denver became too expensive in the 90's and most of the people that I meet in the area are hard working people without much education. They don't have much time to screw around. The worst it can get is the liquor store right at Del Mar and Colfax where the bums congregate at generally regular hours begging for money.

I think the "hood" aspect of the area is very well overplayed, but then I am 6'3" 210 and a former Army E7 who still runs 5-7 miles a day so I might be a bit skewed. If there is any crime I can't speak to it, but it is a high density area so it will certainly be more than what someone from the suburbs would consider average.

So I am not knocking the area but if I wanted a more urban experience I would still suggest living west of Colorado along Colfax. There is more to do in that area, unless what you want to do is visit pawn stores and furniture rental shops.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I personally would never live in Aurora's East Colfax area myself... but that's because I'm a sheltered white boy from the suburbs.

Demographically, it's a majority Hispanic area with a large black population and a small Korean community as well, little to no white people. It's known as a low income, high crime area, but whether or not that's too high or not for you depends on what you're used to. There's "urban," and then there's urban. This place is the latter.

Thank you sheltered suburban white boy... all info is helpful.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogotrep View Post
I think the "hood" aspect of the area is very well overplayed, but then I am 6'3" 210 and a former Army E7 who still runs 5-7 miles a day...
I'm a rather small girl. Can I call you if I ever have trouble with a future boss... or, need to chase someone out of my parking space... or, to carry groceries to my 85th floor flat?

Old 05-26-2010, 10:12 AM

299 posts, read 711,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Thank you sheltered suburban white boy... all info is helpful.
Well, to be fair the 'sheltered suburban white boy' is a major demographic in the Denver area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver