Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2010, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 6,319,420 times
Reputation: 3424

Advertisements

Hello All -

Good news! Today it was confirmed I will be relocating to Denver before July 1 for about 1-yr. I like the vibe of an urban area for walking everywhere, food shopping, movies, restaurants, espresso bars, occasional museums/ballet/theatre, park strolling, etc, no matter in which city I live. Driving everywhere from/in the suburbs won't likely ever be my cup of tea.

I will buy a car within a few months, and can afford to right away, if necessary), but if I can rely upon public transit initially or walk (the latter being my preference), that would be ideal. Much of my life was spent in London, various large cities in the UK, Barcelona, Boston, Seattle, Sydney and I could go on and on... all walkable cities (a 3-mi walk to work isn't anything to me in any kind of weather) with decent public transit available on bitterly cold days when a walk isn't welcomed.

I have no job as of yet and don't need to panic and rush to do so, so don't know which area to choose for an initial apartment. At first, I'll rent short-term at a rental community from move.com. Just as an FYI... I've moved a dozen times all over the states and have always done so by choosing a rental online, calling for info and doing all the paperwork long distance... basically renting sight unseen. That's not an issue, I'm fine with it and it's always worked out, even if I didn't resign after my 3-mo lease was up... which was normally due to finding a cheaper rent with more ammenities or a more convenient flat to accommodate after-work activities.

What I was hoping was to secure some opinions from forum members in choosing a starter urban Denver neighborhood. I've noticed many apartment complexes are near parks (which I'd love)... Cherry Creek, Pulaski Pk, a very few near Belmar Pk or Washington Pk, some are in S. Federal or not far from Fairmount Cemetary, LoDo or Coors Field. But... although I've spent time in Denver in the past, I've no comprehension of city layout (which 'hood is reasonably walkable) and am not sure if some of the complexes are really only smart to live in if one has a car?

Rents are very cheap in Denver by Boston standards (where I last lived), but if I can find a $500/mo flat (of which Denver has many according to move.com) in a walkable "downtown" community near public transit with somewhat of a nightlife and a few corner shops, I'd be thrilled. Crime isn't a real issue here, as it's all relative and Denver is reasonably safe... when you've lived in iffy communities in London, NYC, L.A. or Atlanta, as I have, not much anywhere else compares.

I'd rather not initially move into Washington Pk, for example (which I think I'd love, but the rents are double or more of other areas mentioned above) but start out cheaper and upgrade if it's better or more convenient after I secure a job. I've seen many apartments which offer month-to-month or 3-mo leases... in this economy other places might even be negotiable, so that's not a concern either.

Input on Denver neighborhoods is much appreciated so I don't have to coin toss and just choose... if I do, as I said above, it's always worked out anyway, so I've no real worries. But, locals can make it much easier by making suggestions.

Thank you all very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2010, 02:07 PM
 
299 posts, read 709,413 times
Reputation: 172
After living in Boston, London, etc. Denver is going to be really easy to deal with. We took a rental in Congress Park for a few months while we figured out the city. Not all that walkable, but a good location. Driving is easy here (compared to Boston, yea!) and I'm sure you'll have the place figured out in no time. Denver is one of the easiest cities I've ever had to 'settle in' to. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 6,319,420 times
Reputation: 3424
Thanks very much for your good wishes, OneMore and I do appreciate your response. For some reason most tend to avoid my posts... I either have no replies or flat out end the discussion. I find it rather humorous that the room clears when I walk in. Perhaps it's my perfume...

If Congress Pk isn't walkable, I'll avoid it to stretch going without a car as long as possible. I'm only staying 1-yr so if I can completely avoid buying a car, I will. Any suggestions on an initial walkable neighborhood with nearby grocery stores (corner shops are fine... it doesn't have to be a larg chain, although I've nothing against them), espresso bar (Starbucks is fine), microbrewery/wine bar, cinema (small is fine), dry cleaner, at least one decent, non-fast food restaurant, etc.?

If you're familiar with Boston, think Copley Sq., S. End/Back Bay or Cambridge's Harvard/Porter Sqs... places where everything you need is outside your door, the subway is a quick walk and if you can't find it, it's a 20-min walk from Copley to Mass Ave, N. End, Beacon Hill or downtown and a short train ride to Coolidge Corner or Harvard Sq. As far as upscale in the places I mentioned, that's not necessarily what I mean... plenty of places to get to if I wish to be out and about and ease of errands is what I'm after.

Again, thank you for your good words about settling. I've moved around so much in my lifetime (I'm an eternal gypsy), I can manage most anywhere quite quickly, but it's good to hear it's an accommodating locale. Some places can be challenging to assimilate into, depending upon the open-mindedness and welcoming spirit of the natives. I do it anyway, but it does make one's life easier to have neighbors who are either friendly or live and let live.

And, yes, Boston driving is just about the most brutal I've seen. The old-world roads meant to accommodate horses & carts are not equipped (despite the horrendous Big Dig disgrace) to deal with the volume of traffic which comes in and out of the city each day. I don't want to add up all the hours I've wasted on Boston traffic and trying to find parking spaces.

I'm really looking forward to Denver!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Colorado
6,620 posts, read 9,170,843 times
Reputation: 8551
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
If Congress Pk isn't walkable, I'll avoid it to stretch going without a car as long as possible. I'm only staying 1-yr so if I can completely avoid buying a car, I will. Any suggestions on an initial walkable neighborhood with nearby grocery stores (corner shops are fine... it doesn't have to be a larg chain, although I've nothing against them), espresso bar (Starbucks is fine), microbrewery/wine bar, cinema (small is fine), dry cleaner, at least one decent, non-fast food restaurant, etc.?
Maybe try the Capitol Hill/Cheeseman Park area. The area around 9th and Downing has a grocery store, coffee shop, and a few restaurants, and is fairly walkable to other amenities too. The area is known for catering to a gay clientele, but plenty of straight people live in the area too. It's fairly walkable and has public transit available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 6,319,420 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Maybe try the Capitol Hill/Cheeseman Park area. The area around 9th and Downing has a grocery store, coffee shop, and a few restaurants, and is fairly walkable to other amenities too. The area is known for catering to a gay clientele, but plenty of straight people live in the area too. It's fairly walkable and has public transit available.
Thank you, Cowboy, I shall check it out. In fact, I just came across a realtor's site where he breaks down the urban neighborhoods & Cheesman Pk was on the list as a place for me to consider... although he does say the area is inhabited by "dinks, singles & empty nesters". Funny, I've no idea what a dink is & I'm not an empty nester... but I am single, so I just might fit.

In the event it might help others, his list is here:
"larryhotz.com/relocation/neighborhoods-suburbs/"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 AM
 
3,603 posts, read 5,916,900 times
Reputation: 3366
I learn something new every day here, especially when reading about Cheeseman Park. Once I learned what a gayborhood is. Now I know what a dink is (dual income no kids, thanks google).

Anyhow, be sure not to overlook that cowboyxjohn suggested Capitol Hill also. Personally, if I lived in Capitol Hill, I probably wouldn't want to have a car. Too much a pain parallel parking it on a narrow, hilly street, and who knows if it gets broken into or not.

Secondly, be sure not to forget to browse through other threads on this forum. You'll find lots of information there. Questions like yours are often asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 02:03 AM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 6,319,420 times
Reputation: 3424
Re: "Now I know what a dink is (dual income no kids, thanks google)."

Thank you for a quite amusing reply. You've given me a hearty laugh this morning. Yes, although I wasn't familiar with the term, we all know of search engines & online slang dictionaries. I was attempting humor.


Re: "Anyhow, be sure not to overlook that cowboyxjohn suggested Capitol Hill also. Personally, if I lived in Capitol Hill, I probably wouldn't want to have a car. Too much a pain parallel parking it on a narrow, hilly street, and who knows if it gets broken into or not."


Haha... right. Already stated I shall check it out. I realize we're not best friends, but you apparently don't have much faith in my word.

You seem a bit too fearful... as far as vehicle breakins, Denver has very little crime, in general, compared to many, many other cities... even some smaller cities. Vandalism can happen anywhere. I'd never let it disuade me from buying a car, putting my belongings in a sports club locker or moving into a certain neighborhood. I like to walk. Don't want to put my energy into caring for a car just now, if I don't have to.

Parking on narrow, hilly streets isn't feared by those who've lived their whole lives in overly-crowded cities. Haha... I learned to driving in Rome... Italy not GA... where it is said the roads are inhabited by the criminally insane. Boston, in particular & many EU cities are filled with one-way streets with parking on both sides, which are barely wide enough for 2 people to pass each other whilst walking, if not dieting. In Boston I lived on a street with sidewalks so narrow, people had to walk in the middle of the street then move in-between parked cars to allow cars to pass. No kidding... there are many like that.

Parking is a breeze when you've had to fit a standard car with no power steering/brakes into icebox-sized spaces on a steep hill or curved streets everyday for many years. In crowded cities, you're so overjoyed you actually found a legal space, you just make it work.


"Secondly, be sure not to forget to browse through other threads on this forum. You'll find lots of information there. Questions like yours are often asked."

I really cannot stop laughing as I read each of your sentences. Be sure not to forget? I'm already on the forum, how can I forget to search, sift through & read posts? Hahaha... How infirmed do you assume I am? You really are quite unintentionally funny. Since you've inquired, I have checked through other threads & hadn't seen the exact info I was asking for... I have browsed the forums regularly since '05, although I hadn't joined 'til recently. It's always possible to miss things, as you have with the point of my initial post, but my dear, relax & thanks for your concern regarding my mental acuity.

I'd love further suggestions from those who've lived in urban locations within Denver. If you've lived in other large cities, like OneMoreMove, don't fear car parking, hills or people hiding in bushes to vandalise your possessions, it's far more helpful but perhaps a lot less amusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 02:33 AM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 6,319,420 times
Reputation: 3424
Hello All...

As I was going through a filtered list of 85 different apartment complex suggestions on move.com, I noticed many are described as being near parks, but none give the names of the neighborhoods they're in as it was broken down in the article I earlier referenced. I'm painstakenly searching on interactive maps only to find they're often not as close to as much as they imply... "minutes from downtown" becomes a 20-min drive when I mapquest the complex's address & "near parks" looks like a very long walk if that's even doable... some complexes & parks are intersected by highways on the map, so I'm unsure if the park is even walkable from the complex. It's "nearby" on the map for sure... but perhaps only via a 15-min drive.

It would be very helpful if someone could give me the names of a few parks around which I could find a walkable neighborhood. Then I could find street names surrounding that park & better locate apt complexes in which I'd be interested.

As an example, I see the article lists the Bonnie Brae neighborhood as one I'd be interested in... have no idea which area is considered BB, however. If I yahoo search BB in Denver, I come up with varying business addresses with a variation of that name & a small cut-out portion of a Denver map... I see some businesses are on E. Ohio, S. University, etc, but that may or may not be BB... it's just the biz with a similar name is located there... but knowing the name of a park in the BB area would help me to find that section more easily on a larger map.

Update: From what I can see, it looks like the areas I'd be interested in are, in order of interest: Cherry Creek, Platte Pk, Washington Pk, Lodo, perhaps Chessman Pk. I can find the Chessman Pk/Capital Hill neighborhood area on the map, as obviously, it's near Chessman Pk. Same with Platte/Washington. Can anyone tell me which park/s is located in the Lodo & Cherry Creek areas? Mayfair might be a possibility... again, can anyone tell me the name of a park in the Mayfair area, please?

Thanks very much, everyone! I appreciate the help.

And, Davros... if you tell me to search through 85 complexes in the Denver area & remember to check out Cheesman Pk & Capital Hill... I'm resigning from the forum today... if not sooner.

Last edited by PatanjaliTwist; 05-24-2010 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: Add update...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 02:45 AM
 
3,603 posts, read 5,916,900 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Re: "Now I know what a dink is (dual income no kids, thanks google)."

Thank you for a quite amusing reply. You've given me a hearty laugh this morning. Yes, although I wasn't familiar with the term, we all know of search engines & online slang dictionaries. I was attempting humor.


Re: "Anyhow, be sure not to overlook that cowboyxjohn suggested Capitol Hill also. Personally, if I lived in Capitol Hill, I probably wouldn't want to have a car. Too much a pain parallel parking it on a narrow, hilly street, and who knows if it gets broken into or not."


Haha... right. Already stated I shall check it out. I realize we're not best friends, but you apparently don't have much faith in my word.

You seem a bit too fearful... as far as vehicle breakins, Denver has very little crime, in general, compared to many, many other cities... even some smaller cities. Vandalism can happen anywhere. I'd never let it disuade me from buying a car, putting my belongings in a sports club locker or moving into a certain neighborhood. I like to walk. Don't want to put my energy into caring for a car just now, if I don't have to.

Parking on narrow, hilly streets isn't feared by those who've lived their whole lives in overly-crowded cities. Haha... I learned to driving in Rome... Italy not GA... where it is said the roads are inhabited by the criminally insane. Boston, in particular & many EU cities are filled with one-way streets with parking on both sides, which are barely wide enough for 2 people to pass each other whilst walking, if not dieting. In Boston I lived on a street with sidewalks so narrow, people had to walk in the middle of the street then move in-between parked cars to allow cars to pass. No kidding... there are many like that.

Parking is a breeze when you've had to fit a standard car with no power steering/brakes into icebox-sized spaces on a steep hill or curved streets everyday for many years. In crowded cities, you're so overjoyed you actually found a legal space, you just make it work.


"Secondly, be sure not to forget to browse through other threads on this forum. You'll find lots of information there. Questions like yours are often asked."

I really cannot stop laughing as I read each of your sentences. Be sure not to forget? I'm already on the forum, how can I forget to search, sift through & read posts? Hahaha... How infirmed do you assume I am? You really are quite unintentionally funny. Since you've inquired, I have checked through other threads & hadn't seen the exact info I was asking for... I have browsed the forums regularly since '05, although I hadn't joined 'til recently. It's always possible to miss things, as you have with the point of my initial post, but my dear, relax & thanks for your concern regarding my mental acuity.

I'd love further suggestions from those who've lived in urban locations within Denver. If you've lived in other large cities, like OneMoreMove, don't fear car parking, hills or people hiding in bushes to vandalise your possessions, it's far more helpful but perhaps a lot less amusing.
Don't be offended. I wasn't trying to be unfriendly. Many people post threads that ask the same exact question as other threads on the forum, often just from the past month. So obviously a lot of people do forget to search for other threads. It's not a critique of your intelligence. I just didn't know if you'd already searched other threads yet. So I was offering that advice.

Actually, you probably won't find the streets of Capitol Hill all that narrow. But I do. I was actually hoping that you'd find my statement about Capitol Hill helpful. You only mentioned Cheeseman Park in your reply, and I was thinking Capitol Hill may be even better for someone without a car (it's generally a little cheaper too). I was thinking that mentioning that I'd rather not have a car if I lived on Capitol Hill would be helpful, since you're asking for neighborhoods where you don't need a car.

You were obviously offended by my post, but no need to take anything I said personally. You are reading waaay to deep into what I said. No personal insults were intended, merely a friendly post that provided my inputs to this thread. Anyone is free to either take what I said with a grain of salt, or leave it entirely in the dustbin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 03:24 AM
 
3,603 posts, read 5,916,900 times
Reputation: 3366
Here's a map of the official Denver neighborhoods.
http://www.denvergov.org/DenverMaps/...ghborhoods.pdf


Bonnie Brae is not an official Denver neighborhood. It is the small square surrounded by University to the west, Steele to the east, Exposition to the north, and Mississippi to the south. I recommend the Ice Cream Shop at Ohio and University, Lemon Custard is my favorite, followed by Mint Chocolate Chip.

Cherry Creek neighborhood includes Cherry Creek Park.

There is a small park called Mayfair Park, but I am not familiar with the area in which that park is in (never been there), and I've never heard of Mayfair before.

LoDo (Lower Downtown) is the northwestern portion of downtown (basically northwest of Lawrence up to the river). I'd say Union Station is its main identifier, rather than a park. In fact on the map I linked, LoDo is referred to as Union Station neighborhood.

Yes, do remember to check out Cheesman Park and Capitol Hill, but no need to resign from the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:42 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top