Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:42 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,350,606 times

Advertisements

One thing that confuses me is the fact that it seems like the National Weather Service at least here in Denver uses "tornado warnings" whenever there is a storm that they think could/might produce a tornado. I always thought that a storm that is capable of producing a tornado constituted a tornado watch instead of a warning.

A warning, to me, means that a tornado is on the ground or is detected by radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 PM

87 posts, read 346,342 times
@ the3Ds, last time I checked we're a good couple hundred miles from Kansas... hmm... didn't know they'd annexed all the plains, did you?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Hey, nothing wrong with Kansas. They have hawks and wind turbines, for all the wind, you know?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:17 PM

68 posts, read 127,607 times
Well, to be fair most of the tornado's do seem to be east of Denver.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:03 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeth79 View Post
@ the3Ds, last time I checked we're a good couple hundred miles from Kansas... hmm... didn't know they'd annexed all the plains, did you?
Well, to be fair, when my friends come to visit they always start to call me Laura Ingalls because our house is Little House on the Prairie. I don't care...love the area, love our neighborhood, love our schools, and most importantly, we live less than 20 minutes to my husband's work. It's not for everyone and it certainly isn't where most people think of when they imagine Colorado, but then you look out the window today and we've got an awe-inspiring view of the mountains, the grass is green, the trees are green, the birds are chirping and my potted flowers haven't died yet. It might be "Kansas" but I'm okay with it.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:08 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogotrep View Post
Well, to be fair most of the tornado's do seem to be east of Denver.
They are. Denver is considered to be the beginning of the Plains and when you think of the Plains, most of us think of Tornadoes.

There ARE more tornado warnings in the Eastern and North-Eastern part of Colorado and that includes an occassional tornado warning in the East-metro area or in Parker or south of Parker, but the Rockies can produce some really weird weather patterns and it can change in just a few minutes. The people who had their roofs ripped off their house and their 100-year old trees ripped from the ground last year from what was called a Super Cell probably don't sleep any better at night knowing that it was a Super Cell and not a Tornado. The damage was the same. My neighbor has the "pock marks" all over her car from being in a hail storm a few years ago and that happened in Golden...not exactly what most of us would call "the Plains".

Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 PM

13 posts, read 62,186 times
To 3Ds....insurance companies calling you to recommend a roofer is called "steering" and not legal. That was not meant to protect you at all. I am an insurance adjuster, agencies lose their license all the time for that by taking kickbacks from a contractor in their pocket. Regardless, I hope they did a good job if they approved your replacement. Also, hail damage is a no fault claim. It will not raise your insurance. If the area constantly gets hit year after year, it could result in an increase in the entire area as a whole zone, but not just your own policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver