U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-29-2010, 09:33 AM
 
35 posts, read 71,072 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Denver area this summer. My wife is in the military and will be at Buckley AFB. Right now it looks like we will going through a divorce (bummer) and my plan is to try and find a place close to where she and the kids will be living.....which will most likely be in SE Aurora. I know I won't find much in my price-range in that area but would like to be close-by.

Being an RN, I hope to not have too much trouble finding a job and therefore will have a steady income.

So my question: With a budget around 150K where would you suggest I look for a nice area with low crime and small homes that might be a bargain. I'm not concerned about schools too much since my kids will most likely be in CCSD...obviously for resale it matters but I might be staying a while so short-term resale is not in my plans.

I've been fixing up houses that we have purchased for the last 15 years so I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves and take on a small home that needs some love.....more worried about finding a nice area that isn't too far from the kids to make seeing them less of a challenge.

Thanks,

Nate

Last edited by NAdams65; 05-29-2010 at 09:46 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2010, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Just south of Denver since 1989
11,659 posts, read 32,649,351 times
Reputation: 8589
I am sorry Nate about the pending divorce. Colorado requires a 90 day residency prior to filing a dissolution of marriage.

There are lots of fix ups in/near Aurora in your price range. You will have to evaluate them the usual way - price, condition, location...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2010, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,610 posts, read 22,380,043 times
Reputation: 5419
At that price I think you're better off renting than buying anything, even for a "fixer upper," even for Aurora, 100k is too low for a SFR. I did a search, and a lot of listings come up, but they're almost all in 80010/80011 within a mile of East Colfax in the "bad" part of north Aurora. There are a few neighborhoods in SE Aurora/ 80015 that have smaller, older, cheaper homes than much of the surroundings-- Pheasant Run and Summer Valley Ranch-- but even there you may need a lot more than 100k. I'm guessing you're moving from somewhere in the south/midwest, somewhere with much cheaper cost of living than in the Denver area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 AM
 
35 posts, read 71,072 times
Reputation: 17
I checked into the CO laws and I'm aware of the 90 day thing.
She came home from a year-long deployment with a change of heart, we've been trying to find a way to make it work but it doesn't look good....anyway...we are too close to leaving TX, where we currently live, to file here so we will have to wait once we settle in CO.

Understand about the normal considerations when choosing a home. Just wondered if folks could point me in the right direction. I had been researching 300K for our family but obviously that plan has changed and I need to find good/safe areas with 125-150K homes.

Doesn't have to be Aurora...north Parker would probably work too.

Thanks for the info....

Nate
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2010, 10:12 AM
 
35 posts, read 71,072 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
At that price I think you're better off renting than buying anything, even for a "fixer upper," even for Aurora, 100k is too low for a SFR. I did a search, and a lot of listings come up, but they're almost all in 80010/80011 within a mile of East Colfax in the "bad" part of north Aurora. There are a few neighborhoods in SE Aurora/ 80015 that have smaller, older, cheaper homes than much of the surroundings-- Pheasant Run and Summer Valley Ranch-- but even there you may need a lot more than 100k. I'm guessing you're moving from somewhere in the south/midwest, somewhere with much cheaper cost of living than in the Denver area?
Sorry.....meant to put 150K...not 100K.
How does that change your answer.

Thanks,

Nate
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2010, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,610 posts, read 22,380,043 times
Reputation: 5419
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAdams65 View Post
Sorry.....meant to put 150K...not 100K.
How does that change your answer.

Thanks,

Nate
In that case, yes, 150k will open up a lot more options! Those two neighborhoods I mentioned above would be good places start looking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2010, 12:07 PM
 
68 posts, read 118,195 times
Reputation: 40
Plenty of bank owned and short sales below 80k in 80010, flips are generally going for 140-160. This area is not a "bad" area, it is one of the few places you can still make money right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: RSM
5,113 posts, read 18,899,605 times
Reputation: 1923
150k shouldn't have problems based on my experience. Aurora, Commerce City, even parts of Parker should all have options. I wouldn't worry too much about it really, you'll find something
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2010, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
2,212 posts, read 4,955,360 times
Reputation: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAdams65 View Post
I will be moving to the Denver area this summer. My wife is in the military and will be at Buckley AFB. Right now it looks like we will going through a divorce (bummer) and my plan is to try and find a place close to where she and the kids will be living.....which will most likely be in SE Aurora. I know I won't find much in my price-range in that area but would like to be close-by.

Being an RN, I hope to not have too much trouble finding a job and therefore will have a steady income.

So my question: With a budget around 150K where would you suggest I look for a nice area with low crime and small homes that might be a bargain. I'm not concerned about schools too much since my kids will most likely be in CCSD...obviously for resale it matters but I might be staying a while so short-term resale is not in my plans.

I've been fixing up houses that we have purchased for the last 15 years so I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves and take on a small home that needs some love.....more worried about finding a nice area that isn't too far from the kids to make seeing them less of a challenge.

Thanks,

Nate
Nate,

I'm sending you a DM. Hopefully I can shed some light...

The3Ds
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2010, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Parker
18 posts, read 45,705 times
Reputation: 15
Aurora is going to be your best bet, considering proximity to Buckley and value of homes. We've sold a lot of homes there and you can't beat the value there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top