Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:05 AM

73 posts, read 164,755 times

Advertisements

I agree that bad areas of Des Moines aren't nearly as bad as some cities, but there are many areas that are not to be taken lightly. We have had numerous issues with crime in our area here in Des Moines; which many consider to be a decent area. I don't care to live on the South or East sides anymore.

For something nice that allows pets, renting in Des Moines is actually pretty expensive even compared to many cities.

All that being said, Des Moines is a great place to call home and has a wonderful downtown for a city of its size!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMZ View Post
I agree that bad areas of Des Moines aren't nearly as bad as some cities, but there are many areas that are not to be taken lightly. We have had numerous issues with crime in our area here in Des Moines; which many consider to be a decent area. I don't care to live on the South or East sides anymore.

For something nice that allows pets, renting in Des Moines is actually pretty expensive even compared to many cities.

All that being said, Des Moines is a great place to call home and has a wonderful downtown for a city of its size!
Agree 100%, I have lived here at Prairie Woods on Hubbell(East Side) since January and although I have never had problems with security, my main problem I have with the East Side is the type of people who live on this side of town. No offense, but some of my neighbors seem to go out of their way to make this apartment complex look like a trailer park, I have found empty bottles of booze sitting by our front door, disgusting!

I have to agree with you, it has been very hard to find a reasonably priced apartment complex that allows pets. I looked in places like Urbandale and some of the apartment complexes there are so old and so unreasonably priced.

I considered Altoona, but most of the apartment complexes in Altoona have income restrictions. I am moving out of here in October and I am probably moving to Huxley, Slater or even Ames, I am done with living in the city.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,766 times
In my opinion, the only area of Des Moines that you would want to avoid walking at night would be north of the freeway I235 around Martin Luther King Jr Pkwy or in and around the drake neighborhood. Most areas of Des Moines are pretty safe. Coming from Miami, I doubt anything in Des Moines would scare you.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:32 AM

350 posts, read 570,063 times
What's the average rent cost for a one bedroom apartment in Des Moines?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
An average probably isn't that helpful of a number since an apartment downtown would be much more than one on the east side of town.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,086 times
In my opinion u all are ignorant. Des Moines has no ghetto. Try Compton, Marcy projects, or Dade county. As for section 8 everyone on the program isn't white trash or ghetto. Majority of this program is made up of veterans and elderly. The rest are single parents and college students. I know personally because I worked for the Municipal Housing Authority as a case manager in Des Moines before I moved to New York. I have also been on section 8 housing myself in the past. I was a young teenager in college who lost both of my parents and had a younger brother and sister to take care of. I worked two jobs, went to school, and had to pay for school, bills, and living expenses for my siblings and I. Everyone has a struggle so Noone is in a position to judge if u don't know exactly what their struggle is. To me Des Moines well Iowa period is a place where u get ur education and go, and possible come back when u decide to retire. This isn't a place of great opportunity for young adults.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartchiq View Post
. To me Des Moines well Iowa period is a place where u get ur education and go, and possible come back when u decide to retire. This isn't a place of great opportunity for young adults.
There are plenty of people that would disagree:

Des Moines #1 City for Young Professionals (July 12, Forbes)
Des Moines is rated the #2 place for business and careers by Forbes (June 29, Forbes)
Iowa is first in the nation for cost of doing business, and among the top ten states for doing business overall (June 29, CNBC Special Report)
U.S. News Says Des Moines is Richest Metro Area (June 2, U.S. News & World Report)
Greater Des Moines ranks #2 in the Midwest and #16 nationwide for small business and population growth. (April 14, The Business Journals)

Old 08-18-2011, 06:09 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
What's the average rent cost for a one bedroom apartment in Des Moines?
$685 for 1 bedroom, $770 for 2 in Des Moines proper. (http://http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate?a=MSAAvgRentalPrice&msa=2120 - broken link)

Want to make a San Franciscan laugh? Use the words "Des Moines", "rent", and "expensive" in the same sentence.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartchiq View Post
In my opinion u all are ignorant. Des Moines has no ghetto. Try Compton, Marcy projects, or Dade county.

Right. So if any of you ever find yourself on the corner of MLK and Mondamin some night or a section 8 (that's NOT filled with the elderly and veterans) apartment complex on the SE side, just tell yourself that at least it isn't Compton. Next time someone tries to rob me I'll just close my eyes, click my heels and repeat "at least it isn't Detroit".

Seriously, just because one area is worse than another doesn't mean that the better of the two is going to be a desirable or safe place to be. That's like saying "Compton isn't bad, try Mogadishu or Port au Prince".

I'd also like to point out that I'm not one of those people that somehow feels a higher sense of self-worth because they live/lived in or near a ghetto - I'm just saying that what happens in Compton doesn't make parts of Des Moines any nicer and appropriate precautions should be taken.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:31 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
It may not be "ghetto" in the sense of Gary IN. A lot of the East/North side does look rough, to the point if you swapped it with Gary, IN there wouldn't be much difference, besides the racial differences in the cities. MLK/Mondamin area as pointed out, looks the same as the bad areas in any Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, etc.

It's just that Des Moines isn't recognized as such.

As for what smartchiq is saying, she has a point. If someone is looking to get into the insurance or banking business and settle down, this a great place (as long as they don't mind cold weather 8 months out of the year with extremely cold weather 4 of those months). If someone wants to be surrounded by exciting nightlife, fashion, beaches, while they are young - and can afford it. Miami is probably going to be more interesting than not only Des Moines, but anywhere in the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines