Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 05:23 PM

33 posts, read 110,845 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We will be relocating to DM early next year for my husband's job. We plan to live in a suburb but do not know which one yet. We are looking for the best schools in the area. We have a 1st grader and our other child will start kindergarten next school year. So in your opinion, what is the best school district in the DM suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 05:31 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,272,161 times
This might not be the exact answer you're looking for, but they're all good. I don't think the differences are going to be dramatic enough to live in West Des Moines for the schools when say, Ankeny or Pleasant Hill suits you better.

I can't back it up with facts, but to narrow it down to one I would guess that West Des Moines would be the best because it's the largest suburb and they're able to "buy in bulk", if that makes sense and sustain more programs.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,364,396 times
Any suburban school is going to be good as well as schools in the western part of Des Moines proper. What else are you looking for? Where will your husband be commuting to for work? A little more information and I'm sure we can offer some good options to consider.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:11 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,596,542 times
All suburban schools are good in the Des Moines area. Like others said, find an area that suits your needs, and don't worry too much about the schools. If it's in a suburban district, it is good.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 AM

Thank you for the replies. My husband has a home office so the commute will not be an issue. So far we've done a bit of research on WDM, Urbandale, Clive, Waukee, Johnston and Ankeny. Are all of these areas pretty similar? Is one more upscale than another?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:49 AM

If that is important to you, I'd suggest you'll be most happy in W DM/Clive suburban area.

They're all going to have upscale areas, middle income, and more modest ones. I supposed W DM probably has the most upscale neighborhoods to choose from and as well as much more upscale shopping options than others listed. Clive is right next door to W DM.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:37 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,766,024 times
All those areas are very similar. Waukee and Johnston being more residential overall. Ankeny is out of the way. West Des Moines (the new area by jordan creek) is considered the most desirable area to live in.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Thank you for the information. We appreciate it.

Off topic: Which NFL team will we get to watch on tv in DM? Please tell me it's the Bears!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunn7 View Post
Thank you for the information. We appreciate it.

Off topic: Which NFL team will we get to watch on tv in DM? Please tell me it's the Bears!
Sometimes, but not necessarily. Des Moines is smack in the middle of several midwest teams and you'll find affliations are pretty spread out. The most recent poll I can recall had the DM market split between the Vikings, Packers, Bears and Chiefs. The local TV stations tend to carry whichever team is currently winning so lately the Vikings have been covered pretty well.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Booooo to the Vikings and Packers!

Another random question... how about any good preschools in the area? Does Iowa have a state funded preschool program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines