Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:35 AM

449 posts, read 1,390,501 times

Advertisements

Iowa's seasons, like most of the midwest, generally consists of only three; Fall, Winter, and Summer. Spring basically does not exist. Winter ends so slowly. March through April, and even early May is typically dark, dank, rainy, chilly, and down right miserable. By the time Spring actually comes you have only a few weeks to enjoy the decent weather until you have to crank up the AC in late May/June. Fall on the other hand, is the nicest of the three seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,539,200 times
I spent a little over a year in Des Moines. I remember that winter vividly not having lived in such a place before. I have the dates imprinted on my mind - it dropped below freezing on November 21st and did not crack 33 F until February 23rd. Every single day and night was below freezing. The day time highs were in the high teens to mid 20s and the night time lows were in the single digits for the most part. The coldest day was -9 degrees for a high. And yeah, the wind blew a lot. It was sunny a good part of the time though (just dang cold!).

One night in late February I was walking back to my apartment from a restaurant and I felt this warm wind blowing from the West. BAM! The next day it was 50 degrees and never got that cold again. It was like Spring turned on with a light switch! Oh, and by May the countryside was electric green! I had never seen such bright vivid green in both the trees and grass. Iowa's not flashy, but it does have a quiet beauty that I really liked. The year I spent there may not be typical, but the locals kept telling me it was.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:11 PM

179 posts, read 411,479 times
Yes that is pretty typical. I lived in Iowa city for 55 years of my 55 and a half year life. Having been born in Coravil Iowa. I never got used to those winters with that god awful wind.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,563,068 times
Both places are plenty cold but Iowa is more extreme in the winter due to its location in the heart of the continent. That's the reason why Chicago winters are so much more harsh than New York City for example even though they are basically located at the same latitude.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
There is a reason Iowa is second only to Texas in wind power... Corn does not stop wind. Corn that has been harvested stops even less.

Winters here vary widely in the scope of cold, snow, and wind. The most constant factor being the wind. We can go from a year of near record snowfall (I hired someone to move the snow out of my driveway for the first time in 2009-10, and I've been here 63 years) to a year of so-so snowfall like we had last year. We've had Thanksgiving day dinner outside, and 13" snowfalls in mid October.

Iowa: if you are not happy with the weather wait five minutes...

Old 07-04-2011, 10:47 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,343,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Iowa: if you are not happy with the weather wait five minutes...
or: whatever you wear when you walk out the door is wrong by the time you get across the street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines