Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 31,618 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for an upscale spot where we can dance & mingle with like minded professionals. We are looking for a place that plays R&B, hip-hop, or jazz. Is there anything remotely fitting this description in Des Moines with little to no college age kids? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 10:24 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Try Blue Moon piano bar in West Glen. Tonic is a nice place too.

Wellman's, 515 lounge, Cabaret are your standard college-type bars, years beyond college. Packed to the brim, loud, cheap drink specials. You really aren't going to find much in the way of "upscale nightlife" the way you'd see in a bigger city.

It's a very heavy bar culture in Des Moines, with a lot of re-branding of bars by the same owners every few years.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
The Continental in the East Village has live music periodically (often jazz) , and it won't be the college crowd.

The dancing part? huh....I think there is a hole in the DM scene there unless someone else can recommend a place?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
East 25th street pub is always classy and upscale. So is Gerry's, Main Gate, and Johnny Mac's.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Thought of a few more:
A couple other ideas.

Mohan's (sp?) Speakeasy in the Savory Hotel used to have live Jazz periodically so you may want to check that out. The lounge in the Suites of 801 Locust might be worth a shot.

If you check the Thursday Des Moines Register's weekly Datebook, they have a section on live music by type of music. Maybe that will help you too.

At one time, there were plans for a Jazz Club in the basement of one of the buildings in the East Village with a back alley entrance. Not sure what ever happened to that but hopefully it will eventually happen.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice. However, looking at the various websites it seems that none of these places have dancing. Nevertheless its good to know of these places. I guess if my wife and I want to go dancing we'll have to head to Kansas City???

Old 10-01-2011, 06:58 AM

586 posts, read 2,185,417 times
There are places to hear hip hop and dance, they just won't fit the upscale, non-college aged bill.

There are plenty of great bars but little in the way of a club scene. Various ultra lounges come and go, stale dance clubs that I went to 10+ years ago are still there, only under with a different name and a new paint job.

In downtown, you can try Liar's Club, Komodo Club, Pelican Bar, and Lounge 101 if you want to dance and listen to hip hop, but none of these will blow you away. There's an existing ultra lounge called the Lime Lounge relocating and reopening in bigger digs downtown later this fall, and there's always The Garden, which is a gay dance club playing electronic music.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:53 PM

For others that might be looking for live jazz/dancing in Des Moines. I just got off the phone with a representative of Monihan's Speakeasy Lounge (see above) who confirmed that they do not feature live music.

So I am still looking for a upscale spot to DANCE and mingle that plays jazz, R&B or hip-hop away from the bar / college age scene. Thanks for all that have contributed to this conversation thus far. Although, I still haven't found what I am looking for in Des Moines maybe some others may benefit from this information.

As some have intimated above, there seems to be few establishments offering this form of entertainment here.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:25 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
The last Saturday of every month at the Beechwood on Locust is Pressure Drop, a DJ night spinning old reggae and soul records - there's a ton of dancing there.

It's a younger crowd and probably not very "upscale", but if you can hang with the sans culottes of Des Moines you'll probably have a good enough time.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:54 AM

14 posts, read 37,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyernupe View Post
My wife and I are looking for an upscale spot where we can dance & mingle with like minded professionals. We are looking for a place that plays R&B, hip-hop, or jazz. Is there anything remotely fitting this description in Des Moines with little to no college age kids? Thanks.
In other words you are trolling for a middle aged couple that wants to swing. Lot of that going on these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines