Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,381 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm a Minneapolis transplant living in Kansas City. I've driven through Des Moines many times but only stopped for gas. This time I'm breaking up the trip with a stop to see a band play at the Gas Lamp.

Anybody been to the Gas Lamp? How busy do you think it'll be on a Wednesday night around 9? I expect I'll get in around 7:30pm; wondering if I have time to grab a bite somewhere else or if the bar food is decent.

Crashing at a motel afterward (ooh, fancy, says the grad student). If I'm feeling leisurely the next morning, I might want to explore. I have the dog with me, though, so that limits me a little. Any recommendations for outdoor dog-friendly stuff in Des Moines? It'd be nice to walk her before we continue our drive, and I'm guessing the motel parking lot isn't that scenic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:16 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsyninja View Post
Hey all, I'm a Minneapolis transplant living in Kansas City. I've driven through Des Moines many times but only stopped for gas. This time I'm breaking up the trip with a stop to see a band play at the Gas Lamp.

Anybody been to the Gas Lamp? How busy do you think it'll be on a Wednesday night around 9? I expect I'll get in around 7:30pm; wondering if I have time to grab a bite somewhere else or if the bar food is decent.

Crashing at a motel afterward (ooh, fancy, says the grad student). If I'm feeling leisurely the next morning, I might want to explore. I have the dog with me, though, so that limits me a little. Any recommendations for outdoor dog-friendly stuff in Des Moines? It'd be nice to walk her before we continue our drive, and I'm guessing the motel parking lot isn't that scenic.
I have absolutely no clue about the Gas Lamp, never been.

If you stay somewhere fairly close to downtown, you could walk the pooch around Gray's Lake. That's a pretty fun area--just as long as your dog is social (it's a popular place) and you pick up the poop (again, it's a popular place).

Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
The Gas Lamp is a cool place. How busy it will be depends on the band that is playing. It's located just a couple of blocks from my favorite Vietnamese restuarant, A Dong. (Pronounced with a long A like in HAY). I don't know about the Gas Lamp's food. There are lots of good places downtown to eat, one place I have been wanting to try is Zombie Burger, which isn't too far away.

Zombie Burger

Someone else mentioned Gray's Lake. I would also recommend that for a place to take your dog. Mine love it! And on the bank of the river there, an Eagle's nest sits at the top of a tall tree. Kinda cool!

Otherwise DM has a vast amount of walking trails that take you anywhere in the metro.

Trails - Home

Old 05-04-2012, 08:05 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Going to see Larkin Poe? I like them.

If I were going to that area I'd probably eat at El Bait Shop. Old Spaghetti Works is good, so is the Court Avenue Brewing Company. I've never eaten at Hessen Haus, but I have friends who love it.

There are a ton of good restaurants within a few blocks of the Gas Lamp, it's hard to pick just one.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Eats?

One of the Gas Lamps owner's father moved his little sandwich shop from another part of downtown into the Gas Lamp, so he handles the food. Haven't tried it personally, but I hear it is pretty good. Limited options, though.

Closest and within easy walking distance from Gas Lamp? If you want to go cheap (and don’t mind non-local) and maybe eat in the Sculpture Park (which you’ll want to check out regardless….it is right across the street from Gas Lamp), you have a Subway just steps away or a Jimmy Johns about 3 blocks away.

A very good restaurant that is just a block away is Americana. AMERICANA | Restaurant | Des Moines, Iowa I’ve only eaten lunch there a few times, but it is very good.

All the above options are east of the Gas Lamp (as you head towards the center of downtown).

Looking the other way away from downtown, you have Gusto Pizza, Market Café (in the Gateway Market), and a little further down, Flanagan’s (very casual, more bar food-like).

If you want to go to a concentration of restaurants, head to the Court Avenue Entertainment District. Here you’ll find a lot of great choices to choose from depending on what you’re in the mood for. Another cluster of restaurants can be found in the East Village (between downtown and the Capitol Building).

If you’re a bike rider, consider renting a B-Cycle for the day. I believe it is only $5 or so for 24hrs. Des Moines B-cycle | Des Moines Bike-Sharing Program | B-Cycle | bcycle.com

Here’s a good map of downtown. Gas Lamp is located at 15th and Grand (northwest of the Sculpture Park) Downtown Des Moines

Good website for ideas: Home - Greater Des Moines Convention and Visitors Bureau

Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,381 times
Thank you all, great suggestions. I’ll definitely check out Gray’s Lake with the dog.

And yes, I’m going to see Larkin Poe! They’re fantastic. I’m excited since they don’t come out this way often. Elizabeth Arynn is opening for them ... is she worth catching? I’m debating whether to use my time to check out some of the restaurants you guys have mentioned or to get a good seat for Larkin Poe.

Last edited by clumsyninja; 05-04-2012 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: weird HTML

Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,759 times
Jordan Creek Mall

Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
How was the visit? Where did you end up going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines