Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jexus View Post
I ve read that new houses tend to have lower ceilings when old brick ones have higher ones. I love high ceilings because it makes your house look more spacious. About insulation - that wooden houses don't keep you warm as much as brick ones so you end up paying more for heat, same in summer - wooden one gets hot faster than brick house. So you ll need to use AC more often.
It's funny that you want high ceilings, but yet you're concerned about the energy costs of wood vs. brick houses. If you want lower heating and cooling costs you should want lower ceilings. Most new homes (last 50 years or so) have 8' ceilings, but these days some are being built with 9' ceilings to make them look roomier. Some also use cathedral ceilings for the same effect. The 10'-12' ceiling that were standard many years ago are mostly used for custom homes built for people wealthy enough that they don't have to worry about the heating bill.

Newer homes, even cheaper ones, are very well insulted and sealed. Whether the outside is wood, brick, or vinyl should make no difference in your heating and cooling costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 02:31 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
I go to West Des Moines from time to time (mostly just if there's a movie that isn't playing anywhere but Jordan Creek or if I need to go to Barnes & Noble, which is basically in Clive), but I rarely do any shopping there. That's all just too far away from everything else. And the schools are good, nothing special, but they're good. Johnston, Waukee, Ankeny, and Roosevelt+Central Academy will all give you just as good an education, and you'll get way more diversity in the city district anyway. WDMPS just happens to have more money.
Nobody here hates anything about West Des Moines specifically except the attitude some of the people have, which you find in pretty much every city. Just four hours north you hear exactly the same things about Edina. The bland suburban housing certainly isn't unique to WDM, and it's also not the only thing in WDM, and everyone here pretty much understands that.
You are (once again) ignoring the facts if you think everyone in the DSM area ends up going to WDM for everything. Obviously they don't. Obviously. Wake up and pay attention the real world instead of the silly nightmare fantasy you've constructed for yourself.

Jexus, I'm so sorry this idiot has hijacked your thread. And I guess I'm also sorry for encouraging him. :P But you know how it is, someone is wrong on the Internet! All-important! Or something...
Anyway, south and east aren't bad, but the nicest, "trendiest" neighborhoods are all in the central and western parts of the city, and I'd say that goes out as far as the suburbs of Urbandale, Clive, Windsor Heights, and parts of West Des Moines. Beaverdale is a wonderful place to raise a family. I think you have a good start here.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It's funny that you want high ceilings, but yet you're concerned about the energy costs of wood vs. brick houses. If you want lower heating and cooling costs you should want lower ceilings. Most new homes (last 50 years or so) have 8' ceilings, but these days some are being built with 9' ceilings to make them look roomier. Some also use cathedral ceilings for the same effect. The 10'-12' ceiling that were standard many years ago are mostly used for custom homes built for people wealthy enough that they don't have to worry about the heating bill.

Newer homes, even cheaper ones, are very well insulted and sealed. Whether the outside is wood, brick, or vinyl should make no difference in your heating and cooling costs.
Good point. A lower ceiling is more cost effective for heating and cooling. And yes, new homes still have higher ceilings. The townhouse I lived in in 2002 had 8' ceilings (it was brand new then) and a cathedral ceiling with loft in the dining room area (typical Regency design) I can't say I've been in many, if any, homes with lower than an 8'. My house now has 9', but it was built in 1925.

I can understand the point a little about brick being cooler, but with insulation any construction will do fine in summer and winter. That being said, I lived in a big stucco house in Burlington that stayed naturally very cool in the summer.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:44 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
I ve read that new houses tend to have lower ceilings when old brick ones have higher ones. I love high ceilings because it makes your house look more spacious. About insulation - that wooden houses don't keep you warm as much as brick ones so you end up paying more for heat, same in summer - wooden one gets hot faster than brick house. So you ll need to use AC more often.
A lot of homes in Beaverdale are brick (we even call that style of house a Beaverdale Brick around here) but they are not big rambling brick houses. They are often smaller bungalow or cottage-y style houses. To find the really big old houses you need to go farther east.

Examples of typical Beaverdale houses:

Old 08-23-2012, 03:52 PM

23 posts, read 33,726 times
Quote:

Thanks for your comment.
I was saying I better pay big bill for high ceilings than pay for lower ones because than its just a waste. My point was that not the bill itself but paying more for no reason.

I m glad to know that new houses are built with 9' ceilings because than I have more options. But I ve rented the apartment at one point on the top 3rd floor of the wooden house and it was getting realllly hot even though now I live on the 3rd floor of a brick house and its hot too but not that much. The distance between the houses is few block so its not the weather issue, weather is the same but it has different effect on the inside.

About insulation - thats what ppl comment on WDM apartment communities, the ones with pools and corts, that you can hear everything from the outside and the neighbors downstairs/upstairs. Plus that whole story about high bills because of poor insulation. So thats not from my own experience but what ppl say. I do believe it.

If I wouldn't care about the prices I would stay here in nyc and got a house for $1.000.000 or so and wouldn't be here asking for the advice. I do plan on buying house later on once our business will be established and we ll know city well enough to choose the best location for us. Thats if we will like it.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Good point. A lower ceiling is more cost effective for heating and cooling. And yes, new homes still have higher ceilings. The townhouse I lived in in 2002 had 8' ceilings (it was brand new then) and a cathedral ceiling with loft in the dining room area (typical Regency design) I can't say I've been in many, if any, homes with lower than an 8'. My house now has 9', but it was built in 1925.

I can understand the point a little about brick being cooler, but with insulation any construction will do fine in summer and winter. That being said, I lived in a big stucco house in Burlington that stayed naturally very cool in the summer.
Forget the ceiling, its not that important. My point was I don't want to hear the noise from the cars or neighbors and waste money on the bills for no reason. And thank you for telling me that old house doesn't always mean high ceilings. Great pictures, looks nice.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
But I ve rented the apartment at one point on the top 3rd floor of the wooden house and it was getting realllly hot even though now I live on the 3rd floor of a brick house and its hot too but not that much. The distance between the houses is few block so its not the weather issue, weather is the same but it has different effect on the inside.
More than likely the brick building was better insulated/better sealed than the wood building. It could also be that the wood building's cooling system was inadequate. There are many more variables to consider beyond the exterior.

Quote:
About insulation - thats what ppl comment on WDM apartment communities, the ones with pools and corts, that you can hear everything from the outside and the neighbors downstairs/upstairs. Plus that whole story about high bills because of poor insulation. So thats not from my own experience but what ppl say. I do believe it.
If you're talking about multi-unit apartment buildings, then yes, many of those are still built as cheaply as possible with little or no insulation in the interior walls and rented out for a low cost to young people just starting out or lower-income families. How high the utility bills are usually depend on where the unit is located in the building.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
More than likely the brick building was better insulated/better sealed than the wood building. It could also be that the wood building's cooling system was inadequate. There are many more variables to consider beyond the exterior.

If you're talking about multi-unit apartment buildings, then yes, many of those are still built as cheaply as possible with little or no insulation in the interior walls and rented out for a low cost to young people just starting out or lower-income families. How high the utility bills are usually depend on where the unit is located in the building.

Agree, thanks a lot.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:30 PM

482 posts, read 874,664 times
A note to the OP- I have 3 main points. 1) The city center is not where you'll be shopping. People work there. It's very different than the environment you're coming from. 2) You should REALLY wait two weeks before renting something once you arrive. Live in a hotel or extended atay for a bit before you make a choice. 3) The best judge of schools is this: the more a house costs, the more money they pay in taxes. The more taxes, the better the school. It'.s a generalization, but effective enough to get my point across. Still, in my opinion, Iowa has the best schools in the country.

We have family all over Des Moines and the surrounding areas. We love it and would love to move. We are there pretty often and think the quality of life is pretty high. However, my husband is in O&G so we won't be moving any time soon.

Brooklyn to Des Moines (even the bad parts) is like Hell to Mayberry. If the job is secure, move. Period.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
A note to the OP- I have 3 main points. 1) The city center is not where you'll be shopping. People work there. It's very different than the environment you're coming from. 2) You should REALLY wait two weeks before renting something once you arrive. Live in a hotel or extended atay for a bit before you make a choice. 3) The best judge of schools is this: the more a house costs, the more money they pay in taxes. The more taxes, the better the school. It'.s a generalization, but effective enough to get my point across. Still, in my opinion, Iowa has the best schools in the country.

We have family all over Des Moines and the surrounding areas. We love it and would love to move. We are there pretty often and think the quality of life is pretty high. However, my husband is in O&G so we won't be moving any time soon.

Brooklyn to Des Moines (even the bad parts) is like Hell to Mayberry. If the job is secure, move. Period.
Ha ha well it is like a Hell sometimes lol Thanks for your comment!

I m the one worrying about shopping, obviously my husband just wants to start working. Our close family ve been there to visit other relatives for like a month and they fell in love with the city! That much that they made decision to move there right after coming back to nyc so we decided to give it a try too, why not right?

About renting, I agree 100 % we will be staying with relatives for 2-3 weeks or so just to understand the city and than rent ourselves because its just too confusing to choose a place when you dont know the city. But I do want to know what ppl think about DM, at least its something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines