Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying2leaveparadise View Post
I really do appreciate the comments.

I have an unrelated question and I don't want to start a new thread. How bad is the tornadic weather there? I lived in Omaha years ago and I've lived in the south and My son has been through a tornado and don't particularly want to traumatize my kids again, but due to budget and time constraints we are now considering, on our list of possibilities, buying a manufactured home (which flies in the face of liking older homes, but can be purchased much faster than waiting to find rentals or getting home loan!). We would have a safe room installed. How much time would we reasonably be spending in there during tornado season?

I'm still open to rental company suggestions. Got a subscription to the register and there were like 4 home rentals in there on a Sunday! I'm shocked.
I have lived in Iowa all of my life and have never seen a tornado. I have seen the damage they can do, but never actually saw it happen. When it does happen it can be very bad, but they aren't constant and it varies from year to year how often they even happen.

The majority of houses here have basements, though a manufactured home wouldn't. As for finding rentals, you are going to find a LOT more on Craig's List than in the Register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 06:30 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
An afterthought to my last post: You might be better off renting someplace that isn't ideal at first (like in the suburbs), then taking some time to explore neighborhoods a little more once you are here. There are always townhomes and apartments you could rent first then find a house later.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 PM

30 posts, read 57,537 times
Thanks for your help.

I just hope we can find something...anything...soon! We are currently looking into an owner-occupied-only mobile home park in Grimes that is zoned for Johnston schools (which I read are good and which I see have recently implemented a positive behavior plan for all students, which would be very good for my two special needs kiddos). There is another place in Ankeny we might check out as well.

We may have to do apartment short term if all else fails, but with two kids who vocalize quite a bit and can be hard on walls, we don't typically like to do apartments.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:05 AM

17 posts, read 41,712 times
I agree with the others...Sherman Hill is a great area. I live in the Woodland Heights neighborhood (I found a VERY reasonably priced home...thank you for being up at 3am browsing real estate websites!), which is South of Draketown. Woodland Heights is a very diverse neighborhood, and for as long as I've been here, crime hasn't been a hassle! You won't regret moving to Des Moines. It's one of the greatest cities out there, despite what those NYC and LA people say...but DSM is better than Omaha ANY day of the year.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 PM

78 posts, read 189,545 times
Try the Windsor Terrace Apartments at 3333 Grand Ave. They were, in my day, very lovely. The setting is like a college campus without the drunken kids at the weekends. Close to bus, stores and downtown.
http://www.windsorterraceapts.com/

Old 09-17-2013, 02:21 PM

178 posts, read 334,458 times
Since when is Jordan Creek blue collar?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines