Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Don't forget low-rise space downtown. Wellmark for example.

The other part is, suburban WDM is simply a more desirable location than downtown. There is still this high school rivalry between downtown and WDM, which is generally reflective of the overall culture of Iowa.
You could replace "Iowa" with ANY city in the country and that statement would be true. There are always huge rivalries between the downtowns and the suburban office markets. The only cities that don't have them are cities where the downtown is too far gone and depressed (which Des Moines is not) and the downtown doesn't have anymore fight left in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Yes, downtown Chicago and Schaumburg are in a definite rat-race.

Even if they were, it's not as noticed. It's like in Des Moines people choose sides (you can't like both), then you have these "downtown only" people who think they are better for avoiding WDM. It can get very frivolous, but that is how the culture of Iowa generally is.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
The joke here is perception of an Iowa basher.

I have lived in Des Moines/West Des Moines my entire life. There is no "high school rivalry" here.

What a twit.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:25 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,384,055 times
Quote:
Yes, downtown Chicago and Schaumburg are in a definite rat-race.

Even if they were, it's not as noticed. It's like in Des Moines people choose sides (you can't like both), then you have these "downtown only" people who think they are better for avoiding WDM. It can get very frivolous, but that is how the culture of Iowa generally is.
Congratulations. The enormous chip on your shoulder, the one you can't seem to let go, has turned you into the forum hunchback.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 AM

Well, it's true. There is a frivolous mentality in Iowa about a lot of stuff. The recent Arby's ad for example.

The Iowa forum is interesting in the respect that only unmitigated pandering is accepted.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:02 PM

The Forum Hunchback. Good title. We should all use it from now on.

That must be one heavy-ass chip!!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:24 PM

If people actually read my posts...I've said several good things. The only thing I've said I've disliked are certain aspects of the culture which are very powerful in Iowa.

For some reason, it's acceptable to bring up meth in Iowa. Even RAYGUN has a shirt that reads "DON'T METH WITH IOWA". Des Moines Social Club had a play called "Meth lab". While, it's just a t-shirt and a play, there's nothing clever about a shirt like that. Meth causes real problems for people, kills people, and ruins families.

Yet, an Arby's commercial mentioning "Iowa" in a slightly sarcastic way, and Iowans cannot handle that.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 AM

Again, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 12-21-2012, 09:32 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,384,055 times
Quote:
If people actually read my posts...I've said several good things. The only thing I've said I've disliked are certain aspects of the culture which are very powerful in Iowa.

For some reason, it's acceptable to bring up meth in Iowa. Even RAYGUN has a shirt that reads "DON'T METH WITH IOWA". Des Moines Social Club had a play called "Meth lab". While, it's just a t-shirt and a play, there's nothing clever about a shirt like that. Meth causes real problems for people, kills people, and ruins families.

Yet, an Arby's commercial mentioning "Iowa" in a slightly sarcastic way, and Iowans cannot handle that.
Lighten up. So what if there are some Iowans that are proud of Des Moines and like to express it on a forum that is dedicated to Des Moines discussion. Or are proud of Iowa and like to do the same. Why does that bother you so much? Why do you care so much that you have to belittle and bash them at every opportunity? Find some peace in your life and move on.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 PM

It doesn't. An opposing viewpoint is allowed. That's why this is a forum. I've said several times I think Iowa is a great place for many, but all the mutual self-pandering sometimes does need to be challenged.

I myself find that to be an interesting paradox. Someone can bring up the meth problem, but not the Iowa vs ISU fanaticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines