Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runewell View Post
I don't see these native stickers and I've lived here 7 years.

Iowans wouldn't have any need for the stickers anyway. It's not something that needs to be bragged about, and probably 3 out of every 4 or 5 people have lived here their whole life anyway.

What's good about Des Moines?
Roads are good, rush hour traffic moves pretty well. Very family friendly. Nice safe downtown. Low unemployment, there are lots of places looking to hire white-collar talent. The cost of living is very low. Yes, you CAN go lower. Gas just dropped to $2.99/gal today. So quality of life is good - you can have a good job with a fair to easy commute, live in a decent place, and enjoy yourself on the weekend.
Large weekly farmer's market in the summer, art festival, and we do get some amount of concerts and such.

What's bad about Des Moines? It's flat & boring. There are no hills to be found anywhere. There are good scenic places to take walks and go for bike rides, but be prepared to see corn fields while driving around the state. If you need the visual appeal of a mountain, or an ocean or giant body of water, you have come to the wrong place.

Also professional sports is lacking, if that's your thing. But people are extremely wrapped up in their local college offerings: Iowa State, U of Iowa, UNI, and Drake.
Don't get out much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runewell View Post
No one in Des Moines would wear a t-shirt like this. The fact that you find one on your abacus - I mean, the internet - means nothing. The proper attire would be Hawkeye or Cyclone apparel.
I've seen people wearing them before. That shirt has been around for years, and is still being marketed. There must be a reason for that. Never heard of a business that would advertise something for no reason for so long, especially if they thought no one would buy it.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM

{Sigh} Don't take everything so seriously, dude. Haven't you ever heard of the term tongue-in-cheek?

Jeez!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 PM

Yes, I have. Except, they actually do believe that in Des Moines.

Time to bring out the abacus.

Des Moines is NOT Boring

Des Moines, Not Just for Young Professionals

Although you may not notice it, there is an idea that Des Moines is basically NYC/LA/San Francisco in a smaller package. Just as liberal, artistic, amazing, trendy, etc. If you disagree, then it's because you don't realize how awesome it is.

If someone can join the culture of self-pandering, then maybe they'll like it.

Like a previous poster said, with mid-sized white collar cities the only thing that gets mentioned is lower cost of living, some urban amenities, and the only consistent complaint is the cold weather or snow. Besides that, it's a perfect utopia. No one ever actually brings up the culture of the city, the way it's done in larger cities.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Very interesting thread. I have to say, Des Moines sounds a lot like Madison, WI...high quality of life, nice mid-size Midwest city...and Ronnie pinned it prfectly-with a fanatical cult like following. And rightly so, there is a lot to be proud of. But it is off putting to some, and that is also valid. The caveat is, if you are mainstream, it is great. Otherwise, it's like the Stepford Wives. I totally agree that the lack of diversity from within the US is a huge factor-in Madison there are mainly people from Wisconsin, Twin Cities, Chicago and the Pacific NW. Lots of Coloradans too. Sounds similar to Iowa.

I don't think people who are in the mainstream share this view, but if you travel more and live elsewhere, you will understand Ronnie's points. As would many transplants from other areas or minorities I would imagine.

I think this thread points out a very important aspect of living in a mid-sized midwest city, like DSM, but could be the same for several cities in the region. It is a factor that isn't verbalized very much, since QOL, COL, crime and other statistics tend to dominate most conversations. Ronnie's dissent is good for the subforum, it would be a boring (and quiet) forum if everyone agreed, there was no discourse and no difference of view points-check out the Madison subforum-very quiet for that reason and the same 3 questions by posters seemed to get recylced endlessly, everyone cocurrs and then crickets. I think it's similar to DSM, except there isn't a "Ronnie" poster here to shake things up. Trust me, it's a good thing, and if it's too much for some people to read endlessly (probably how he feels reading reaffirming posts), you can always block certain posters!
Disagree. Madison attracts a greater variety and diversity of people due to the UW Madison, proximity to Chicagoland, and excellent job growth overall. In my workplace alone we have plenty of people from both coasts and the surrounding region. A solid mix of people. I moved from NH.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Disagree. Madison attracts a greater variety and diversity of people due to the UW Madison, proximity to Chicagoland, and excellent job growth overall. In my workplace alone we have plenty of people from both coasts and the surrounding region. A solid mix of people. I moved from NH.
That's right, you did. I am not saying there are zero people from other areas in Madison or DSM, just that inboth cities, the newcommers tend to be somewhat uniform. I'm glad your work place is more representative of a different experience though!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
These links are from a blog written not by a lifelong Iowan, but by someone who moved from San Francisco to Des Moines.

And the theme is no that Iowa is just as "fabulous" as larger metro areas, but that the area has its good points once you get to know it.

Sorry, but this really doesn't help your case at all.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 AM

That person is from Iowa (but lived in SF), and now looks for every reason under the sun to draw comparisons to NYC/SF.

Very common theme in Des Moines. Either that, or something about how Des Moines Young Professionals are experts on tofu or whatever is supposedly popular in NYC, LA or SF.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines