Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 28,479 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the helpful posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
You're welcome and we apologize for all the side tracks.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 PM

178 posts, read 334,458 times
IA does have plenty of good trails. The Greenbelt goes right through the burbs and finishes not far from downtown. Water Works park has the start of a 20-something mile bike path south. Iowa also loves its prairies, which is a fancy name for not mowing the grass. In the burbs with all the new development and sidewalks things can be very bike friendly, although a car is much more practical near the mall. I used to hate living in Detroit - the roads were poor and not conducive to biking. You needed to haul your bike ten or twenty miles out to a metropark and pay to find bike trails. In Iowa you don't pay for most trails, and state parks are 100% free to enter as well.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 AM

Morning temperature in Des Moines: +4
Morning temperature in Twin Cities: -12

You can feel that difference.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM

Ha! It's been a rough few days here in MN. I know people say once you hit a certain temperature it doesn't matter, cold is cold-but I disagree. I'm with you; 4 vs -12 makes a difference! I saw you had temps in the 40-50's a few weeks ago. I'm assuming that is a bit odd for this time of year though?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM

18 posts, read 34,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hare100 View Post
Hello,

I know some of these questions may have been addressed, and I've sorted through some posts for info, so please bear with me...

My husband and I are in my mid-30's with two young children. We are natives to MN but are ready for a change (we currently live in a Minneapolis suburb). We would like to complete a move before our daugther starts school in a few years. Initially we thought a total different part of the country, but have been drawn to the Des Moines area after a handful of visits--a very nice city!

First, it appears the school systems are good in all areas. Is one suburb better than another? It appears the Des Moines is good as well (here Minneapolis would not be considered as good as a suburb school district). What is the best place to live for a young family. We would like to be in a good neighboorhood/school district with some younger families and friendly area.

This leads to my next question, which may be a bit silly...are people generally friendly? MN is often coined for being "surface nice" meaning people are nice for small talk, but it's difficult to make a real connection with, especially with outsiders/transplants. I'm a native to MN and I often feel this! I've joined groups and classes and have found it hard to find some "true" friends. I don't expect to have a best friend the minute I step into Iowa, but what is the general feel? I know making friends takes time and every place and person is different, but just wondering if anybody has any experience/thoughts on this.

One more question...what is the weather like? I know it is similair to MN and we like the change of seasons, but do struggle with the many months of cold, dark and dreary days. Is Des Moines quite as cold, or does spring arrive a bit sooner then here?

Any help would be great! We are in the very early stages of even starting to think about a major decision like this, but again have found Des Moines to be a nice area. For anybody who knows about or has lived in both the MN twin cities area and Des Moines have any insight? Would moving to Des Moines essentially be just like living in the twin cities?
I Love, Love, Love Des Moines, and West Des Moines!! I know we all have our differences, but the people in Des Moines are great!! My hubby and I visited for a few days last year and we were treated with so much kindness..We basically interviewed any and everybody we talked to.. For example, we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in W. Des Moines and interviewed staff, we talked to the awesome folks at Joe's Crab Shack, Jorden Creek Mall (awesome), visited schools, and walked/talked to people on the downtown skywalk. You must come and get a feel for yourself:} We are moving from IL and plan to move this Fall.. Sorry to go on and on, but I forgot to mention the "Farmer's Market" OMGosh..I've never seen such a diverse group of people freezing while having a great time!!!
Blessings,

Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM

18 posts, read 34,029 times
I've got two questions CD friend's: Should my fam and I move to Des Moines first, then find a job or vice-versa?

Also how much $$ should one have in order to move a family from IL to IA?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM

We've never been to the Farmer's market--we'll have to add it to the list for a future visit! Also, does anybody have a timeframe of when the lilacs bloom in Ewing Park? As for moving, I would be hesitant to move anywhere without a job lined up first. Just too risky.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermodel2 View Post
I've got two questions CD friend's: Should my fam and I move to Des Moines first, then find a job or vice-versa?

Also how much $$ should one have in order to move a family from IL to IA?
I'm sure RonnieJonez thinks we are such Des Moines-loving zombies that he expects we'll say you should quit your job immediately, that the sooner you live here the better.

But I think you should find a job first. What type of employment are you looking for? There are several sizable white-collar employers around here - Principal, Wellmark BCBS, Wells Fargo, lots of insurers...

Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hare100 View Post
We've never been to the Farmer's market--we'll have to add it to the list for a future visit! Also, does anybody have a timeframe of when the lilacs bloom in Ewing Park? As for moving, I would be hesitant to move anywhere without a job lined up first. Just too risky.

Lilacs? Depends on the weather and type of lilacs. Generally early May is a good estimation, but if it is a warm spring it could be mid-late April even.

I have a lilac bush in my yard that always blooms about 3 weeks later than the rest in my neighborhood. So, usually I would get blooms about the 3rd week of May. Last year, though, we had a very mild winter and it bloomed early...end of April. I was kind of bummed because I was in Vegas and missed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines