Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:45 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,337,779 times

Advertisements

Ankeny is very popular with families. As long as you're OK with suburbia and the fact that as a self described liberal you'll be outnumbered, you'll be happy in Ankeny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 PM

14 posts, read 43,298 times
Just curious on why you're dead set on moving to the suburbs? Suburban Des Moines is VERY NON-LIBERAL and homogenous, ESPECIALLY Ankeny. There are great neighborhoods on the west and northwest sides of Des Moines proper. Before you blindly move to Ankeny, take a look at neighborhoods like Waterbury, Beaverdale, South of Grand, The Ingersoll/Grand corridor, and the area around Roosevelt High School. Drive down streets like Polk Boulevard and Kingman Boulevard. Some great elementary schools are Greenwood, Hanawalt, and Hubbell. Honestly, Ankeny is one of the last places in the entire metro I could see somebody from Portland digging.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM

20 posts, read 68,355 times
I will quickly make a comment and then touch on the Music Scene.

I agree with Rico, especially check out the Roosevelt High School feeder schools if you plan on making this a long-term move into a school district. I grew up in a DSM burb and I am generally Center-Liberal. Believe me, my views were not appreciated by the staff nor students. That said, Iowa is a proud state that has a history for being progressive with civil rights and we are have a track-record for progressiveness. Iowa has gone liberal in 6 of the last 7 presidential elections and Des Moines is probably the most liberal city outside of the Iowa City area.

MUSIC!!
If you want to get involved with music in Des Moines, this is a great time! I would suggest you get in touch with the Greater Des Moines Music Coalition if you move here. The DMMC is a non-profit that does amazing work supporting the music scene and put on several festivals including the 80/35 Festival. I would advise you to volunteer some for the planning of one of there events because EVERYONE I have met in the music scene is a great person, and will likely lead to friendships. There are some nice intimate venues in Downtown Des Moines that draws some nice acts as a stop-over performances because I80 and I35 are important interstates. It is not Pearl Jam, but still good acts.

And as is required on any "Moving to Des Moines" Post: Check out the Downtown Farmers Market if you choose to live a healthy lifestyle. (Or even if you like wine and cheese) It is one of the best farmers markets in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines