Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 8,280 times

Advertisements

Hello I am in the process of buying a home in the NW part of Ankeny, Iowa and although I have done as much research as I can on the city, I thought that personal experiances would help quit a bit. If anyone has any opinions of Ankeny and would like to share them it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:28 PM

196 posts, read 774,604 times
Was there a few months ago. Fast growing, clean, excellent school facilities.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:25 PM

459 posts, read 2,221,139 times
It is a very family oriented town that has really experienced rapid growth over the last five years. Excellent public schools. Very clean and safe city. Great if you have a family - may not be your cup of tea if you're young and single (doesn't offer much in the way of nightlife).

Ankeny has all the basics as far as shopping and restaurants (Wal Mart, Kohls, Target, Applebees, Chilis, several grocery stores) but doesn't really have any of the specialty retailers (Best Buy, Upscale Department store, or any mall stores for that matter).

Real estate in Ankeny has traditionally been a sound investment. Slow, yet steady increases in property values.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,558,964 times
Very family friendly. Typical midwestern SUBURB. Urban sprawl cookie cutter homes, not that its a bad thing. Great schools, not diverse, has everything you need. Quality of life is important to most.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:21 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,240,834 times
Like other people have said, Ankeny is a nice place that has grown a lot in the past few years. In addition to major retailers like Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc, it seems like Ankeny has picked up a lot of smaller specialty stores as of the past few years. It used to be that if you needed to find something in Ankeny, it was going to be on one of two streets, but now that seems to be changing.

Also like other people have said, it's not the most exciting, culturally stimulating place in the world. Des Moines and Ames are both really close though. Ankeny is also very close to Saylorville Lake, which is cool.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:50 PM

10 posts, read 59,323 times
Ankeny is turning into one of the premier communities in central Iowa. You can't go wrong.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 AM

16 posts, read 73,579 times
I lived on the NW side of Ankeny. We loved Ankeny! Great family town. People were fantastic. We would go back to Ankeny anytime.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 11,007 times
I live on the NW side of Ankeny. My wife and I both love the area. It is close to the library, the new bike trail, the Praire Ridge sports complex and the city has everything you need to live.

The only thing bad about Ankeny I would say is all the growth. The city is growing too fast. Entire subdivisions of townhomes go up overnight.

If you don't mind living in the suburbs Ankenys is a pretty good place to live.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,328,938 times
Ankeny is a fine city, but it all depends on what you're looking for. If I had a family, I'd be fine. If you're young and single or married without any kids in the near future, I'd live a little first and pick a part of the metro that bit more hip, interesting, cultural, etc.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:23 PM

13 posts, read 70,916 times
Default Bondurant

Ankeny is a great city, but don't overlook Bondurant, near by which is a little smaller and less hectic, but is also growing like crazy. We lived there for 2 years and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines