Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'm done with seasons, I want the hot, hotter, and hottest that you have!

I get seriously depressed in the fall. I hate the season because I know winter is next. Then I am miserable all winter long (or half the spring too, like this year). This move is a long time coming
IMHO, Southern "winters" are more depressing than Midwestern ones. They're cool, grey, and wet. Yuck. Cold and snowy weather is more fun because you can ski, snowboard, ice fish, build snow forts with the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Hi there Fezz..
I've seen you in other threads & note that we match up here on the weather thingy w/ heat.
Elle
I wonder if any of your problem with winter has an origin in the lack of sunlight during those months? I think that the name given for people who are aflicted badly in the short day light winter season is SAD, or something like that , as in seasonally adjusted disorder.
If so, no matter where you live, you could still have symptoms when the days grow short. Had you thought of that possible factor?

Yes.

For me it is more a hatred of being COLD and a love of being HOT

Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
IMHO, Southern "winters" are more depressing than Midwestern ones. They're cool, grey, and wet. Yuck. Cold and snowy weather is more fun because you can ski, snowboard, ice fish, build snow forts with the kids.
None of that is fun to me. Even as a kid I didn't care to be in the snow. It always sounded like a good idea until you realize it is COLD.

I hate the way everything looks covered in snow. SO ugly IMO

Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How close is your move?
House is on the market. As soon as it sells, I'm out.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times
Three days ago it was 84, and today I had to brush snow off the car. At noon they said Algona already had 10 inches. Were not done yet, this could get turn into a nasty surprise, already setting many records for May snowfall. Sioux City got snowed on 5 different times last month....did something happen on April Fools day ?

ElleTea, good luck with your move, sorry the Iowa weather got the best of you. Might I suggest a move to North Dakota for a few years.......then come back and enjoy our mild Iowa climate. I am laughing at how heavy the snow has been all afternoon, with the wind kicking up just like a blizzard on the 2nd of May........lol.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
ElleTea, I hope your house sells quickly!

I so wish I were there! I love the snow! I've been looking at all the photos everyone sent into the TV stations. The spring flowers will be fine!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
House is on the market. As soon as it sells, I'm out.
I wish we were that close. We're probably on a time frame of next year, and unless there's break in the insane price hikes in LV we won't be going there...

Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Southern Winters are bad also. I should know as I lived down there for awhile. Hope you like tons of days in the 30s and 40s with rain, dark gray skies, and no coniferous trees- unless you live up in the mountains. Also, you don't get little in the way of seasonal changes in daylight so you don't have four seasons IMO.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Three days ago it was 84, and today I had to brush snow off the car. At noon they said Algona already had 10 inches. Were not done yet, this could get turn into a nasty surprise, already setting many records for May snowfall. Sioux City got snowed on 5 different times last month....did something happen on April Fools day ?

ElleTea, good luck with your move, sorry the Iowa weather got the best of you. Might I suggest a move to North Dakota for a few years.......then come back and enjoy our mild Iowa climate. I am laughing at how heavy the snow has been all afternoon, with the wind kicking up just like a blizzard on the 2nd of May........lol.
North Dakota? HA! NEVER.

I have my eye on the desert SW. Or Texas. Or southern Florida. Las Vegas is as far north as I want to be. If I ever needed final validation that it was time to move, snow in May is all I need. I am going to Las Vegas for 5 days, leaving tomorrow. I can't wait! I wish I could have left yesterday and missed the mess of white this morning.

I made sure to shake the snow off my lilac bush before I left for work. I already lost one branch on it from the December blizzard, I don't want to lose any more.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
And the hot weather down here in Ga. has a depressing but converse effect on me, Elle. It's an each to their own thing I guess which is just fine.
But, I truly dread the onset of the unrelenting summer heat down here. On the few really warm days we've had so far this spring, I have felt my unease & irritability factors rise noticeably. You could say that I'm in the wrong section of the U.S. LOL!
You have no idea how much I long to return (because of a multitude of factors) to my home state of Iowa after 35 years away that has come to resemble an exile down here in this dreadful hotbed of insane ideas!
Why don't you and Elle swap houses for awhile? You try an Iowa winter and she can try a Georgia summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines