Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Last year, everyone was complaining how warm it was this time of the year, asking "Where is Spring?'

This year, everyone is complaining how cold it is this time of year, asking "Where is Spring?"

Little changes.
I don't know where you live, but it sure isn't here... mid-nineties today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Sioux City, IA set an all time record high for May at 104F today.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Not me. That is when I get out my lawn chair and bikini and lay in the sun. Or mow. Or wash my car. On those hot hot days I am outside from late morning till the sun goes down. My 2 chihauhuas also love it. Last summer I had to make one of my dogs get off the blazing hot driveway; he was sprawled on his back sunbathing (his belly even tans LOL)

I never feel like it is too hot...unless I forget the beach towel for the leather seats in my convertible...OUCH! But even then I don't complain. I never complain about being hot.

Cold? Yes. ALL THE TIME!
Hey, we a kindred spirits! I'm just like you. Even on the hottest day, you can get in water and it isn't so hot after all. And warm summer nights - LOVE THEM. When it's been 90-100 during the day, and then the sun goes down, the summer night is so perfect for sitting outside in shorts, enjoying the breeze, looking at the stars. And getting in the pool on a warm summer night feels wonderful.

People always say "Well you can always put on more clothes.." I say "Well you can always take clothes off!"

Old 05-15-2013, 06:54 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Hey, we a kindred spirits! I'm just like you. Even on the hottest day, you can get in water and it isn't so hot after all. And warm summer nights - LOVE THEM. When it's been 90-100 during the day, and then the sun goes down, the summer night is so perfect for sitting outside in shorts, enjoying the breeze, looking at the stars. And getting in the pool on a warm summer night feels wonderful.

People always say "Well you can always put on more clothes.." I say "Well you can always take clothes off!"

I never understood that "you can always put on more clothes" logic. Who wants to be bundled up in a bunch of uncomfortable layers? I'd rather be in a sundress and flip flops than a coat, boots, socks, a sweater, scarf, hat, gloves, etc.

I don't need water to cool off. I just don't think really high temps (100+) are uncomfortable. Every time I went outside yesterday in the 90+ degree temps I could just feel every cell saying "ahhhhh" And last night at 9 PM it was still in the 80s and i was able to relax on my patio and enjoy the warm night.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:13 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Hey! Hope you folks are safe! I'm watching the storm cells cross the country. That line near I-35 looked especially bad. Good luck tonight! Keep your weather radios close by.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 AM

971 posts, read 1,452,900 times
All the heat sure fired up the storms and it looks to be with us for a day or two. Whew!

STAY SAFE ALL !!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
LOL. Iowa weather. I think it is easy for people to be tired of the humidity, but Spring and Fall are the only times when it isn't awful.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
LOL. Iowa weather. I think it is easy for people to be tired of the humidity, but Spring and Fall are the only times when it isn't awful.
Spring (once it is finally above 75) and summer for me. I hate fall. I hate the trees dying (well, figuratively) and I hate the fact that winter is next!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:19 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,192,447 times
Winter after Christmas sucks, but I love the rest of the seasons.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,656 times
My list of Iowa months, from best to worst:

1 October - Perfect weather; cool, sometimes cold, but rarely frigid. The trees are beautiful.
2 September - The somewhat warmer version of perfect weather.
3 June - Hot but not usually oppressively so. Good gardening weather, and plus I love summer storms.
4 May - Same as with June, except that there's less good stuff happening in the garden.
5 April - Storm season ramping up, and everything starting to get green and pretty again. Good temperatures usually.
6 July - The heat is starting to suck, but on the other hand sweet corn.
7 December - Holiday fun, and the snow usually hasn't worn out its welcome yet.
8 January - Hope you like to play in the snow, because if not that stuff's getting really old by now. At least it's still pretty.
9 March - Nature trolls you into thinking it's spring for a few days and then throws a late season blizzard or ice storm at you. Not cool, March.
10 August - uuuugggggghhhh so hot.
11 November - The fields have all been harvested but not yet covered with snow, and the leaves are all off the trees so everything's just gray or brown, damp, and cold.
12 February - Like November, except there is snow but it's all slushy and mixed with mud from the few barely above freezing days we've had. Plus, there's no Thanksgiving. *********, February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines