Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 AM

164 posts, read 322,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Saying "most Iowans suck" despite the fact that you don't actually know most Iowans personally isn't a very adult statement.
Again. its MY opinion! So go ahead and take it as a personal attack, this is the thread and just keeps on going !

Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
This thread reminds me of a friend of mine that has spent years and years and years with failed dating relationships....they have yet to figure out the common denominator in the problem.

*cough*

Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 AM

164 posts, read 322,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This thread reminds me of a friend of mine that has spent years and years and years with failed dating relationships....they have yet to figure out the common denominator in the problem.

*cough*
funny! But given that I have had success in every other city I've lived in I can disagree with you're immature comment

Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM

993 posts, read 1,766,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camille563 View Post
To be honest with you it wouldn't have mattered how I said things i can be certain somebody would've have taken offense to it. I guess i thought everyone is an adult and is entitled to their own opinion, I didn't say everyone without a shadow of a doubt suck. (I even know people born and raised in Iowa that have said to me "Why would you move to Iowa it sucks and so do the people".) I have not had a good experience in Iowa and come on really why would people take my comment personal I never named anyone. We are all adults its elementary taking something like that personal.
It really does matter how you said it okay end of story. If I made a comment in the Miami forum how most people in Miami suck, I bet they wouldn't shower me with acceptance either and I'd get plenty of backlash. The way you worded the thread, you opened up a huge argument rather than a discussion. The fact is that you opened the thread in a negative, condescending tone and you got negative responses. Don't act so surprised that people fiercely defended their area and people.

If you would have said something along the lines of:
"I moved here recently and seem to be having making friends. Everyone here seems to be in their own social circle already. When I lived in Florida and other places, I never had this problem. Has anyone else noticed this or know a reason why I seem to have this problem here?"

That would have worked much better than: "Why are people so shady here?"

You would have had much more polite replies opening the other way. I mean what were you expecting with a thread like this???

Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
You get what you give. If you think everyone sucks and treat strangers as though they will suck without meeting them, then it will happen.

It takes lots of effort to build friendships. It is what it is. And it is the case no matter where you go.

Funny thing is, I have friends all over the US. I never seem to have trouble talking to strangers. I just returned from Las Vegas and 3 random people that spoke to me in the elevator (all different occasions) happened to be from Iowa, one from Windsor Heights.

Once I move, I am sure I could easily say "people in my new city/state suck, they aren't like me, I have lots of friends who get me where I came from." OR, I could embrace the opportunity to meet new people with different experiences and create new friendships. It is up to me.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:26 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Everyone is friendly in Vegas. Those people would not have talked to you in a random elevator in DM, most likely. There would be no reason for it, DM is not city you strike up casual conversation (of course it can be done, but it's not common), Las Vegas is.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Everyone is friendly in Vegas. Those people would not have talked to you in a random elevator in DM, most likely. There would be no reason for it, DM is not city you strike up casual conversation (of course it can be done, but it's not common), Las Vegas is.
Have ya been to the Vegas forum? According to them, it is impossible to make friends, everyone is rude, and your neighbors never speak to you. They say there is no sense of community.You can't make lasting friendships because of the transient nature of the people there. And so on, and so on, and so on.

Sound familar?

People here ALWAYS talk to me everywhere. On line at the grocery, at the gas pump next to me, at a park...etc. Even if it is a random comment about the weather, my car, my dogs...it happens all the time. Some days I would rather not be "bothered" LOL, we all have those days. In Vegas, no one else really struck up a conversation. BUT, at night on Fremont Street it was ME going around and having random conversations with random people. (And someone even bought me one of those giant drinks shaped like a dancing girl HAHA)

Everywhere I go people talk to me. Maybe it is because I don't have a "everyone sucks here" mentality. Of course, I must be one of the Sheeple because I actually like DM and eat at Zombie Burger.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
But you don't like Casey's pizza, lol.

Vegas is on the other end of Iowa when it comes to native population, almost everyone is not from there originally. Some people prefer a place like this, others do not.

If you really think people in DM strike up random conversation more than Vegas (or just as much), I'm not sure there's a point in explaining further.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM

I do like Casey's pizza, I just think there are other pizzas out there that are better.

And people ON VACATION are going to be more chatty than locals. That will happen everywhere. Sometimes too much, like the ladies gabbing behind me on the airplane at midnight when I wanted to sleep LOL

Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
But you don't like Casey's pizza, lol.

Vegas is on the other end of Iowa when it comes to native population, almost everyone is not from there originally. Some people prefer a place like this, others do not.

If you really think people in DM strike up random conversation more than Vegas (or just as much), I'm not sure there's a point in explaining further.
I don't doubt there are general differences between people in Vegas and Midwest culturally and otherwise.

Last edited by capitalcityguy; 05-09-2013 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines