Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 02:03 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times

Advertisements

capitalcityguy
I really like what you said to the OP & us in general about the possibility that real estate professionals are not really drilling down far enough in order to discover what it is that their clients want. I've wondered about that in regard to much of the country & not just in metro Des Moines. So, I enjoyed hearing it come from someone else other than myself.
Could it be considered a real estate version of the old concept of redlining? Not everyone wants oo settle in new digs in W.D.M., Waukee or Ankeny after all.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:26 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
And you have NO sense of humor!

But I am sure you have already been told that.

I'd rather be childish than bitter and miserable. At least I'm fun!
Yet you complain about the weather every chance you get. Then again, that's acceptable. Possibly the only thing someone can not like about Iowa.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camille563 View Post
14 pages of posts and I miss one. Are you serious? Why wouldn't i want to talk to you?
You missed more than one...

Old 05-10-2013, 05:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
But, but, but...that's what people do here! We just can't seem to let anything go!

:::cough::::zombieburger:::cough:::Iowanativestick ers:::cough:::cultmentality:::cough:::ISU/Iowa:::cough
I vote this the best post of the year. Mostly because it's funny as can be and partially because it obviously ticked off Ronnie I-can't-spel-my-last-name.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:45 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
I'll vote CCG's post #1 as being the most helpful to the OP, and Elletea's as #2 because I've read enough threads now to understand why she would make that comment and what they reference.

This thread is interesting to me as an out-of-stater (for the moment) because I see a genuine attempt to understand the underlying problem and to offer recommendations. That's getting lost in some of the back-and-forth, but it's encouraging to me that the OP wasn't called a bunch of names and run off the thread by the 12th post or so, as I have seen at other sites.

I won't judge the OP, just merely suggest that she continue to explore real-world venues, and I hope she soon finds the sorts of people she's seeking.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I vote this the best post of the year. Mostly because it's funny as can be and partially because it obviously ticked off Ronnie I-can't-spel-my-last-name.
Autocorrect obviously missed "tek" and "freek" as well.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camille563 View Post
I was raised in Florida. Even though there things I like about Des Moines I will never understand why people are so shady. If you don't fit in their bubble or what they consider normal you are given looks. I miss culture and diversity and being around people that say it like it is. Being raised in Miami people are so diverse that its a privilege to know other cultures and others way of life. Not here unless you were raised in meat and potatoes you're looked at differently!
What do you mean by shady? I never read the word shady in this context. The word shady means the person cannot be trusted or may be criminal or do criminal things.

Also what do you mean by fit in their bubble ? Are you trying to make friends with conservatives? Are you very liberal or out spoken when comes to politics or religion that turn people of off you?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
Not sure if I would characterize Miami as "cultural." Only if supermarket tabloids are the yardstick of culture.

This woman made it sound like she came down from heavens, and boy, Des Moines is provincial, unsophisticated, barefoot hillbillies, that are trying to scam her. Maybe she no comprende English very goo, and pero, don't kno what "shady" mean.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 PM

164 posts, read 322,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Not sure if I would characterize Miami as "cultural." Only if supermarket tabloids are the yardstick of culture.

This woman made it sound like she came down from heavens, and boy, Des Moines is provincial, unsophisticated, barefoot hillbillies, that are trying to scam her. Maybe she no comprende English very goo, and pero, don't kno what "shady" mean.
Wow! Do you invent things in your head and just blurt them out?

Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 PM

164 posts, read 322,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
What do you mean by shady? I never read the word shady in this context. The word shady means the person cannot be trusted or may be criminal or do criminal things.

Also what do you mean by fit in their bubble ? Are you trying to make friends with conservatives? Are you very liberal or out spoken when comes to politics or religion that turn people of off you?
What I mean by shady is people who will look and smile but turn their head and say not so friendly comments. Fit into their bubble of normal. Im not like them, I'm outspoken, I have an accent. I don't say the certain words the way Midwesterners say it. For example, in college we were talking in class I said the word "caramel" and people got on me and said its "Carmel" I said no I'm sorry there's an a after the r and someone said well here we say "Carmel". "You southerners speak weird".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines