Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times

Advertisements

Chris Cillizza of The Washington Post weighs in on Iowa & Des Moines in view of the Today Show segment of this morning & in view of his plentiful experience of covering politics in Iowa.
"Iowa is, in a word, so hot right now."

Why Iowa rules — in 12 steps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 12:46 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Here's the clip from the Today Show (that the columnist refers to). This is VERY well done and you're right, a city can't pay for this type of great PR:

WEALTHIEST CITIES: Des Moines Success | WHOTV.com

Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 PM

82 posts, read 162,550 times
Very well done.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:58 PM

389 posts, read 671,478 times
Translation: If you don't have the requisite wealth or sophistication to live in NY, LA, or Miami...aim lower.

Much lower.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Translation: If you don't have the requisite wealth or sophistication to live in NY, LA, or Miami...aim lower.

Much lower.
No, not quite. You miss the mark yet again.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econboy View Post
No, not quite. You miss the mark yet again.
LOL.

So you're going to say the level of requisite wealth and sophistication in Des Moines is the same as NYC, LA or Miami? I really can't wait to see how you're going to support that argument with statistics.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
LOL.

So you're going to say the level of requisite wealth and sophistication in Des Moines is the same as NYC, LA or Miami? I really can't wait to see how you're going to support that argument with statistics.
No, that's not what Im saying.

You're trying to make it sound like that's what's being said. Nice try.

Can you please site where anyone has ever said that, in these rankings or associated studies?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
I assume his first comment was a joke.

The video pretty clearly explains what this recognition for Des Moines is really all about. If a person can't follow the pretty straightforward video clip, they certainly aren't going to comprehend a separate written explanation.

But again...assuming it was meant to be tongue 'n cheek.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
But again...assuming it was meant to be tongue 'n cheek.
That's a pretty fair assessment of the comment, but there's a little more to the meaning.

It was tongue-in-cheek, but with enough verve intended to create that phony indignation in certain folks who expect everyone to humble themselves and bow down to all things Des Moines. Perhaps I should shed a little light on why Des Moines' ever-increasing pomposity is something I find personally humorous.

I lived in central Iowa from the mid 1980s to the mid 2000s; in relative proximity to the Des Moines metro area. In 2002, a job-related situation was pushing me towards a scenario where I had to move to Des Moines, or face a major shake-up in my living arrangement. I was essentially being blackmailed into relocating there against my will. Even though the town I lived in was admittedly tiny and dull, I had zero interest in moving to Des Moines.

Most people would have crumbled under the threat and taken their chances in a bigger city. I mean, there's no doubt Des Moines was far more exciting than where I lived at the time. However, I resented being uprooted on someone's mere whim, so I stuck to my guns and stayed in that boring little town for another five years. Yep. It was a boring little town, but I had friends and co-workers there I deeply respected. Friendships mean more to me than skylines.

During those five years, I was berated and mocked by others for not moving to Des Moines. How dare I choose to stay in that little old town while the entire world was waiting for me in Iowa's glorious capital city! Des Moines became the embodiment of that smug condescension. So, when I see people like yourself becoming indignant towards other folks not bowing down to the almighty Des Moines, that condescension reminds me all too well of a negative personal experience.

It's not like you can simply be content with Des Moines. Instead, you have to tell everyone else on the Internet why they're so stupid for not joining your little 80/35 social club. This Today Show clip is just another prop you can use to belittle everyone else scattered around Iowa. I thought I would have a little fun with it.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
What's so special about the 10th & Locust Starbucks? I mean it's a nice Starbucks but it's no different from what you'd find in any other American downtown, is it? Actually I'm pretty sure I was in a Starbucks just like that one on John St in Toronto last summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines