Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,236,534 times

Advertisements

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/d...e?sf13583713=1

People seem to be freaking out about this, and I find it silly. BUT, I did not grow up in Des Moines and didn't watch the show as a kid, so maybe that is why it is silly to me.

Yesterday on KGGO it was suggested that after Floppy is referbished, he should go on display in the lobby of WHO-TV, where the show was originally broadcast. I think this is a better idea than bringing it back to the State Historical Museum. It's not a STATE historical item, it is a Des Moines historical item. It should be displayed as such.

Any thoughts? Any Floppy fans? If you want to see him, you have until Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 08:55 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,172,262 times
I'd never heard of Floppy until the refurbishment was announced.

My question would be, how is Floppy displayed? If he's displayed by himself I would tend to agree that it's really more of a Des Moines thing than an Iowa thing. But in the context of a display commemorating the history of broadcasting in Iowa it would certainly fit.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I'd never heard of Floppy until the refurbishment was announced.

My question would be, how is Floppy displayed? If he's displayed by himself I would tend to agree that it's really more of a Des Moines thing than an Iowa thing. But in the context of a display commemorating the history of broadcasting in Iowa it would certainly fit.
I was at the museum in January, and I THINK it was a display all its own. I can't say for sure where exactly in the museum it was, because I just glanced at it and walked on by. I had heard of Floppy from friends who grew up here, but just a few times here and there.

I think what has gotten people worked up is the fact that the museum is talking about pulling the exhibit to refurbish it, THEN put it in storage for 10-15 years. It's unclear why they were doing this; if it was for space or to simply change out the exhibits. In 10-15 years is anyone going to remember Floppy anymore?

If it is so beloved, I tend to agree that WHO-TV would be a good place to display it.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,332,240 times
The whole Floppy thing has irratated me and I've exchanged a few barbs with some of the "Save Floppy" folks on Facebook.

Bottomline: This is the STATE Historical Building, not the Des Moines or Centrel Iowa Museum. Floppy is not of statewide relavance. I'm guessing 60-75% of the people in Iowa don't know or care who Floppy was as it was a show in the DM TV market only. The rest of us (who grew up in similar eras) but not in the Des Moines TV market, had our own local kids shows. This display took up a prominent spot in the lobby of the historical building. It was one of the first things you saw and to a lot of people I'm sure they were like, "what is this and why should I care?" It did not make sense that a display with only local application should hold that spot in the building.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
The whole Floppy thing has irratated me and I've exchanged a few barbs with some of the "Save Floppy" folks on Facebook.

Bottomline: This is the STATE Historical Building, not the Des Moines or Centrel Iowa Museum. Floppy is not of statewide relavance. I'm guessing 60-75% of the people in Iowa don't know or care who Floppy was as it was a show in the DM TV market only. The rest of us (who grew up in similar eras) but not in the Des Moines TV market, had our own local kids shows. This display took up a prominent spot in the lobby of the historical building. It was one of the first things you saw and to a lot of people I'm sure they were like, "what is this and why should I care?" It did not make sense that a display with only local application should hold that spot in the building.
I agree with you. But I don't think it was in the lobby (at least not when I was there in January) I think it was in one of the exhibition rooms.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,172,262 times
I think they should sell him on eBay.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:41 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,332,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I agree with you. But I don't think it was in the lobby (at least not when I was there in January) I think it was in one of the exhibition rooms.
No it is built right into the wall of the lobby. (I'm considering the entire huge room your first walk into as you come in the front door as "the lobby". )

Old 06-07-2013, 01:57 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,739,726 times
Iowa has a high percent of full-grown babies, no surprises.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
No it is built right into the wall of the lobby. (I'm considering the entire huge room your first walk into as you come in the front door as "the lobby". )
Oh, okay. I was imagining a display like the wooly mammoth or whatever that is there. I didn't see Floppy right away when I was there last, so maybe it's near the exit of one of the exhibit rooms? Because it seems like I noticed it as we were leaving one of the rooms

Old 06-07-2013, 04:33 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,960,267 times
I wonder how many of the folks complaining have even been to the exhibit where he has been housed? If its a matter of seeing him and having him in a prominent place, maybe a spot at the entrance to the zoo, or at the civic center (Floppy the city mascot), or another local attraction where he can be seen with some regularity by folks. If his dog house ends up at WHO, I doubt he will have many visitors, and that would be dog gone sad. After some years, it only seems logical he might need some cosmetic work. I understand people's fondness to things from childhood, but this shouldn't become a dog fight either, Floppy wouldn't want it that way. What would replace his exhibit at the historical society, do they have something in mind for that place? It's too bad people aren't as outraged by serious issues facing real animals in need.

Anyone else think Floppy's handler, Duane Ellet had a laugh much like David Letterman's?

Iowa has no higher percentage of "full grown babies" than any other state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: