Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 AM

164 posts, read 322,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Wife View Post
How about the Snow thing.... Talk to me about the MUST haves! For example, I'm not planning to move into a house, I will rather live in a apartment. Why? all of the maintenance.... specially the snow plowing.

I want to make sure the snow is plowed when I'm off to work. Do you know where there is a neighborhood where this is done very well? Do I need a heated GARAGE or climate controlled ?
If you live in an apartment the plowing will be done. Depending on how much snow we get that night will determine how quick they are to plow it. You don't need a heated garage. You will want to invest in a good pair of boots.Des Moines (in my opinion) does a crappy job of plowing the roads so make sure you give yourself extra time to get to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Wife View Post
How about the Snow thing.... Talk to me about the MUST haves! For example, I'm not planning to move into a house, I will rather live in a apartment. Why? all of the maintenance.... specially the snow plowing.

I want to make sure the snow is plowed when I'm off to work. Do you know where there is a neighborhood where this is done very well? Do I need a heated GARAGE or climate controlled ?
There is no way to guarantee the snow will be cleared when you are off to work, no matter where you live. Most places (and the city) won't start plowing anything other than major roads until after the snow has stopped. If it starts snowing overnight and snows all through the day, the plowing would not have likely even started until after you get HOME from work. I live in Des Moines city proper, and my street usually doesn't get plowed for 2 or sometimes 3 days after the snow is done.

As for shovelling, that is up to apartment maintence to take care of. You might also be responsible for your immediate area. it all depends on where you live.

Heated garage? Most people don't have them.

I will not sugar coat anything about snow or winter; I hate it and it is the reason I am moving SOUTH! It makes me absolutely miserable

Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille563 View Post
If you live in an apartment the plowing will be done. Depending on how much snow we get that night will determine how quick they are to plow it. You don't need a heated garage. You will want to invest in a good pair of boots.Des Moines (in my opinion) does a crappy job of plowing the roads so make sure you give yourself extra time to get to work!
What I hate is the pretreat stuff they spray. I know it makes it easier for them to get the snow off the streets, but until it is removed, it makes it worse!

Boots are a MUST. Warm and waterproof, preferably to the knee to keep your pants dry. And I recommend a good coat. I have a Columbia coat that was the best investment for the cold. It has a nice hood for keeping the snow and sleet off my face, it's super warm but lightweight, and water resistant.

I also wear a hat and scarf, using the scarf to hold over my face to avoid breathing the super cold air into my lungs. Good warm waterproof gloves are good, as is a snow scraper/brush for cleaning off the car.

Man, this is all depressing me LOL! I gotta get my house sold and get out before I have to go through this again!

Last edited by ElleTea; 07-19-2013 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 AM

164 posts, read 322,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
There is no way to guarantee the snow will be cleared when you are off to work, no matter where you live. Most places (and the city) won't start plowing anything other than major roads until after the snow has stopped. If it starts snowing overnight and snows all through the day, the plowing would not have likely even started until after you get HOME from work. I live in Des Moines city proper, and my street usually doesn't get plowed for 2 or sometimes 3 days after the snow is done.

As for shovelling, that is up to apartment maintence to take care of. You might also be responsible for your immediate area. it all depends on where you live.

Heated garage? Most people don't have them.

I will not sugar coat anything about snow or winter; I hate it and it is the reason I am moving SOUTH! It makes me absolutely miserable
That's why I can't say I love Des Moines simply because of the snow! Good luck on moving south. I'm hoping to move south as well

Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
I wear a down vest and a thermo-lined hoodie a lot of the winter. It's easier to drive in than a huge parka.

I wear winter hiking books with wool socks a lot of the time, too.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 PM

I would freeze. Its much too cold for that. My Columbia coat is far from bulky. It was lightweight but amazingly warm.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:43 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
If you are in West Des Moines, plowing seems to be fine within the city itself. 235 can really get snarled up especially in the mornings going east. When I lived there last year, I was fine with a Columbia coat, toboggan, and a pair of light gloves. While it does get cold, the worst part is the windchill. You do have to prepare for that.

The toughest part of life in Des Moines, IMO, is adjusting to the weather extremes. Summers are extremely hot and the last two have been terribly dry to somewhat dry. Thunderstorms here can be monstrous. Winter can be extremely cold. The wind blows all the time.

Des Moines is a good place to live, but its weather is harsh. It may take some adjustment.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:23 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Des Moines is a good place to live, but its weather is harsh. It may take some adjustment.
You just have to love wind, cold, and humidity.

Hey, it's the prairie! The wind talks. The earth comes alive in the warmer months and sleeps in the colder months. All are ongoing stories. And if you live closer to the Great Lakes, the water talks, too. It can get quite noisy in the Midwest.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:05 PM

31 posts, read 50,340 times
I'm thinking the weather in Des Moines can't be much worse than on the eastern suburbs of Cleveland, where I grew up -- that lake effect snow is the worst! I was thrilled when we moved to Texas, but now we're headed to WDM...ugh. Snow, again. But, more than the snow, it's the freezing cold wind that I'm dreading. I may just hibernate in front of the fireplace all winter. Either that, or visit my parents in Florida for a few months...

Meemur, you have such a poetic and philosophical outlook! All things are what we make of them...for my part, I choose to see my time in Des Moines as an adventure and an opportunity. Houston has its hurricanes, Ohio and Iowa have their wind and snow...but seasons pass. We may not like it, but we'll get through it!

Old 08-12-2013, 02:37 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
On the other side of the coin I've lived here my entire life and my winter gear is a leather coat and a pair of gloves, sometimes. Until it gets close to freezing (or really windy) I just put on a tee shirt and a long sleeve shirt.

I save the heavy coat for snow removal duty. Starting this year I won't be doing that so that heavy coat is going to be left in it's summer closet.

YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines