Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 PM

6 posts, read 9,858 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am from Chicago and want to move near family in Des Moines "Beaverdale" area. I want to get an affordable house in a nice, safe area. I will retire there but not sure where it's nice. Can you help me understand the south side or where on the north side ???? I want to be free of gangs and the chaos of the city. Too young to retire. I have pets so I need safe place for them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:31 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
How much do you want to spend? Do you want to buy immediately or rent first for awhile?

The Des Moines "gang problem" isn't anything like Chicago and it's truly laid back here, compared to Chicago.

Beaverdale has some nice neighborhoods. It also has some areas that seem like they're bordering some not so nice areas. A good realtor can help you.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon_Chicago View Post
Hi,

I am from Chicago and want to move near family in Des Moines "Beaverdale" area. I want to get an affordable house in a nice, safe area. I will retire there but not sure where it's nice. Can you help me understand the south side or where on the north side ???? I want to be free of gangs and the chaos of the city. Too young to retire. I have pets so I need safe place for them as well.
Beaverdale is a very nice area, but where Beaverdale ends on the east, a less nice neighborhood begins. So, be careful; many houses can say they are in Beaverdale, because they technically are, but they are just blocks from NOT Beaverdale. But even that not Beaverdale part of town isn't THAT bad.

I live in the city of Des Moines proper, and don't see any "chaos." I truly love my neighborhood, and enjoy being walking distance from many businesses I need and just 10 minutes from downtown without the need to use the freeway. I also have pets and have never had issues with them or their safety. If you have dogs there are many dog parks, too.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Beaverdale is in the northwestern part of Des Moines proper. Good elementary and middle schools. Some might question the quality of the high school that serves the neighorhood. Nice business district that is about to get a streetscape makeover. Very assessible to bike trails. Beaverdale made Forbes list of "Prettiest Neighborhoods in 2011: Beaverdale, Des Moines, Iowa - In Photos: America

Old 11-03-2013, 08:08 PM

219 posts, read 455,504 times
the southridge area near the airport is really nice as well.. this mostly gets over looked by newcomers due to the western and northern suburbs

Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 AM

26 posts, read 37,331 times
Beaverdale is nice. I would say anything east of Martin Luther King Parkway stay away from. I live in Urbandale and LOVE IT!

Old 12-16-2013, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,338 times
Beaverdale is great, but I'd look in Waveland Park (just a bit south of it) too. It's a little more relaxed, and is considered by most to be a part of Beaverdale. Farther east gets sketchier, but it doesn't get too bad until you get into what is known as the "Drake" neighborhood. Avoid what they call "lower beaver" - which is a bit dumpier. Merle Hay is going downhill. Southwestern Hills, by the airport is really nice. However south side is kind of "hit or miss." South of Grand is the best, but also most expensive neighborhood in DSM.

Last edited by CaptainSoftrock; 12-16-2013 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: had a few other ideas.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I am all over the board trying to find something in my price range. It's pretty low. I do want a house that is nice, clean and needs minimal work. I am looking for small property, I dont need a huge yard. I did find a home in south western hills and its nice but is foreclosing. All the other homes were too high for me. I am going to check out waveland. I did find a nice house, very affordable and is in Drake. I have been afraid to go outside the beaverdale neighborhood because crime rates seem high. Having said that, compared to Chicago 'some parts' there's no comparison. Chicago is bunched into ethnically branched sections. There are also outer layers around the city on far west and north/north west sides that is where city workers go. I want to live in an area where I can let the dogs run in the yard and not worry about them getting stolen. I want to be somewhere that I dont have to stay locked up inside. I want to be able to roam around. I am looking at houses at 100-130. I know thats low but I am preparing for retirement.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:42 PM

Sorry it took so long to answer. I didnt realize there were answers to view. Anyway.... I am looking for a 1000 sq ft house, small lot, 2-3 bedrooms 1-1.5 baths, hardwood floors, small fenced yard, semi-finished basement, newer mechanicals, windows, roof within 5 years or so. I don't want to spend more than 120k. I have seen some houses but way small. Having said that, the house I am in is almost 900 sq and the way it is shaped is like small boxes or quarters on main floor. I suppose something with an open floor plan could work.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
How close geographically do you want to be to your family? If they are in Beaverdale, are they able to give you any suggestions on specific areas there or do they know good & reliable real estate agents that specialize there?
Within the city limits, the west side & some southside areas are going to be the priciest but the typical price can vary a great deal just within a few blocks as regards the exact location, housing age & content.
Des Moines' closest in west side suburb is Windsor Heights which abuts the west city limits line. That community was new in the 1950's & 1960's & might be an affordable alternative that is just a hop, skip & a jump west of Beaverdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines