Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:48 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, there were some incredibly cold & snowy winters that set records.
What we began to see were electric cords dangling out of the front grille work on cars. People had taken to a new method whereby a car could be plugged in somehow to heat it up to better the chances of it cranking in the cold.
Now that was cold!!
One winter was so snowy that cars were crashing into each other at intersections in town & out in the country because the snow had been piled so high via plowing that visibility was impossible. Enterprising folks took to tying little red ribbons & strings on their car antennas so as to be seen at the intersections.
And it was probably that same snowy winter that it drifted so deeply on the back north side of our one story house that you could walk on up the drift & straight unto the roof.
Now that was snowy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 07:01 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,323 times
This is the deepest winter since the 1980s, no doubt. 2013 is close to the coldest year I can remember also since the 1980s. It just has been an excessive year and is kinda rare.

Usually the average temperature begins to climb in mid January (few places a little sooner or later). You begin to really notice the temperature increases in mid February as the rate of increase is accelerated and th overall increase has been building up for a while.

Also, there are 3 people that like or don't mind winter for every one person like Elle that is annoyed by it or finds their life to be in misery.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post

Also, there are 3 people that like or don't mind winter for every one person like Elle that is annoyed by it or finds their life to be in misery.
My life is just fine, thanks. I moved to the desert and will be sunbathing today!

If you read my Facebook feed from those back in Iowa I would say I disagree with the above statement, however. Not ONE person has anything but complaints about winter.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,689 times
It seems like a lot of people from the Upper Midwest do like the Winter weather. Since it lasts so long, people make the most out of it with icy hockey, skiing, snow mobiling, ice skating, etc. However, I think the excessive cold and lack of sun or "thaws" in an average Winter tend to bother most people and in the same token, most people are sick of Winter by the time February rolls around, are ready for vacations down south and eagerly anticipating Spring.

Have you all seen the forecast for early next week? Coldest air since the mid 90s.

The silver lining is that weather tends to equal out when all is said and done. There could very well be a wonderful mid Winter warm up in late January lasting well into February...and a mild Spring. Here's to hoping!

Old 01-02-2014, 11:20 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,399 times
Depends on what you mean by "warm up". Statistically, temps began to significantly increase in late February. But truly warm weather won't be consistent until May.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:22 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Your last paragraph here is very true Chelito23.
I've noticed that historically-speaking the record keeping data shows that no winter stays completely above or below normal wherever you are in the continental U.S. In other words, what we all have going now may be reversed & erased 2 weeks down the road.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM

Honestly, I don't think "most" people who live in the upper midwest enjoy the winter. I think the majority of them tolerate it or don't care for it. Yes, there are those who just love winter, but I think they are in the minority.

I lived in Iowa my whole life up until a month ago and I can seriously only think of TWO people that I know that truly love winter, a bunch that hate it, and the rest just deal with it because that it where they live.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Honestly, I don't think "most" people who live in the upper midwest enjoy the winter. I think the majority of them tolerate it or don't care for it. Yes, there are those who just love winter, but I think they are in the minority.

I lived in Iowa my whole life up until a month ago and I can seriously only think of TWO people that I know that truly love winter, a bunch that hate it, and the rest just deal with it because that it where they live.
But you somehow completely missed the majority IMO....like me and that is , we simply except it as part of living in the upper midwest. It is what it is. Pls don't take our small talk about the lousy weather as an indication that we "hate it". The majority simply excepts it, we're not "the rest". I wouldn't say a bunch "hate it".

That said, when I retire, I'll go south for the winter and come home to Iowa during the non-winter months. Doesn't mean I hate winter, just that God willing if I have the means, I'd prefer warm weather climate in retirement.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
But you somehow completely missed the majority IMO....like me and that is , we simply except it as part of living in the upper midwest. It is what it is. Pls don't take our small talk about the lousy weather as an indication that we "hate it". The majority simply excepts it, we're not "the rest". I wouldn't say a bunch "hate it".
You are what I was referring to when I said "tolerate it." It is part of living in the midwest for many.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:19 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,689 times
Let me put it this way, people in the Upper Midwest look forward to a white xmas....winter recereation, having the heat on, being budled up, the snow fall....they are out shoveling...it brings people together and makes them a tough bunch for sure. Of course, there are people that dislike it, but not the majority from what I have experienced. Now, when you get to areas in the lower Midwest, East Coast, South, etc where there is a constant freeze and thaw cycle, where their winters usually bring ice and mixed precipitation...it's a different attitude. But it the frozen far north, since winter is so intense, people really don't have a choice of hating it since it is so extreme and prolonged. I think people enjoy and as they get older they take winter vacations for a break or if they really dislike it, they move away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: