Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,547,523 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that's true about all the freeze thaw cycles. So far, they haven't been as pronounced in Des Moines as they are in Columbus, OH (where 45 degree temperature shifts are common within 15 hours). I've been getting just the right amount of thawing to keep my driveway clear.

The ice Central IA had several weeks ago was very typical weather for Central Ohio. We could count on at least 7 episodes like that, and I think there were a dozen or so last winter. I don't mind cold and snow, but ice is just evil! And as I age, I worry a lot more about falling, even with my ice cleats.

Give me a snow pack any day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 12:23 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,466,718 times
I spent one full winter in the Des Moines area. I remember it dropping suddenly below 32F on November 21st and it didn't break freezing again (day or night) until February 23rd (yeah, I remember the exact dates)! I remember walking home one evening the first week of March and there was a warm breeze coming in. The next morning the temperature had jumped twenty degrees and winter was over. Life on the plains is definitely interesting from a weather standpoint!

Old 01-04-2014, 06:51 PM

9,478 posts, read 12,221,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
But it the frozen far north, since winter is so intense, people really don't have a choice of hating it since it is so extreme and prolonged. I think people enjoy and as they get older they take winter vacations for a break or if they really dislike it, they move away.
Exactly. People who live WAY up there DO have a choice, to MOVE.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Exactly. People who live WAY up there DO have a choice, to MOVE.
Sometimes one has to follow the job or hang around and care for an infirm parent. You are fortunate, ElleTea, that you are at a point where you were able to follow the sun. (:

I continue to work on my attitude and attire. My feet were cold this morning, and I realized that I wasn't wearing wool socks! Off to change them . . .

I was unhappy about having to do things with the upcoming -30 wind chills. I've been reminding myself that at one time I didn't have a working car and spent time in Mid-Michigan waiting for buses, not to mention several times I walked home late at night when the bus never showed up and the wind was getting to me.

My life is much better than that now. I'm trying to stay focused on that thought. This cold is not forever, and I was doing fine with the 20-degree temps.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Sometimes one has to follow the job or hang around and care for an infirm parent. You are fortunate, ElleTea, that you are at a point where you were able to follow the sun. (:

I continue to work on my attitude and attire. My feet were cold this morning, and I realized that I wasn't wearing wool socks! Off to change them . . .

I was unhappy about having to do things with the upcoming -30 wind chills. I've been reminding myself that at one time I didn't have a working car and spent time in Mid-Michigan waiting for buses, not to mention several times I walked home late at night when the bus never showed up and the wind was getting to me.

My life is much better than that now. I'm trying to stay focused on that thought. This cold is not forever, and I was doing fine with the 20-degree temps.
When I moved to Des Moines in 2001, I wanted to move south but my ex did not. I told my dad "maybe it is better I will be closer to you guys anyway." My dad said "no, you should never make those kinds of choices for what MIGHT happen (like they get sick) or to please anyone but yourself. Otherwise you will never truly be happy" I moved to DM anyway because my ex wanted to. What a waste of 12 years, honestly, of living with the miserable months of Sept to March. There is always a choice, IMO.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:28 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,661,988 times
Beau
Can you please give us the year you are citing your experiences from? Since you can remember the November to February dates, having the year too would be helpful.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:30 PM

September "miserable" & October as well? O:
To each their own of course.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
My dear, sweet mother, God rest her soul, complained from about November to early March about winter. We lived in Michigan. She finally had a chance to move to FL and wasn't happy there, either.

I tolerate cold much better than heat and humidity. It's just the extreme cold is getting to me a bit. That's why I didn't move to MN. This is temporary. It'll be more seasonable before long. Next year, I'll be better prepared with more comfortable sub-zero weather clothing. What I have now does the job but it's not "comfy" if that makes any sense.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Yes, being prepared in terms of your clothing, your automobile & your mind are all important factors in surviving the winter.
I'm so thankful for the fabulously warm winter coat I have that my mom bought me a decade ago when I visited her in Wisconsin! We are about to have our coldest temperatures in about 15-20 years down here & that coat will serve me well, especially as I walk to work from my Xpress bus these coming mornings.
7 or 8 degrees is in the forecast for Atlanta Tuesday morning & a spot on the Florida Gulf Coast I visit is to hit the low 20's. Ouch!
But, bear in mind that as the jet stream changes it's pattern soon , a respite of normal or above normal temperatures will arrive.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
To me? Yes. Leaves changing color (UGLY), colder nights, shorter days. Miserable snow, grey skies and leafless trees, all the way to the nasty up and down weather of March. And the endless cold RAIN of early spring. YUCK.

The true answer to the OPs question as far as I am concerned is "June". And sometimes early June is still cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: