Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times

Advertisements

...than check out this nice rundown of current and soon to be built projects in and around downtown.

DES MOINES, IA | Development Thread - SkyscraperPage Forum

The link sends you to another website's forum, but definately worth a look for those that are interested in seeing the face of downtown Des Moines changing almost before our very eyes.

Hope some of you find this interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:29 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
Lots going on in Des Moines especially with urban living. That's good to see. I have Des Moines on my short list of cities to relocate to. I currently live in Southern California and want to move out. I want to open a casual- quick service restaurant but just don't know if Des Moines is a good place for it. I really like the city's downtown. Pretty neat! Sort of reminds me of Boise.

-Cheers.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
We need a Tim Hortons here! (:

Never thought I would miss their donuts or coffee, but I do . . . just a little.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:00 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Thanks for bringing us that link here capital. It was well worth a visit!

Old 05-14-2014, 12:49 PM

125 posts, read 259,977 times
Very impressive development going on there! I appreciate having that on my radar now, thanks!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:42 PM

Related article in Sunday's Des Moines Register:

10 downtown sites that could be developed next

10 downtown sites that could be developed next

Old 05-27-2014, 06:42 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
capital
Great news there about the continual bubbling up of ideas in downtown!
Speaking of which, I keep bugging you and others for updates on the Younkers block. I may have missed it but I don't think that there was a reference to that one in the list of 10 in your new link here. It's such an importnant site in the midst of the core that I'm still very interested in what happens.
Perhaps it's all at a holding pattern since I last heard anything new about it.
I think it was you who wrote that the western concrete section may be saved but it was under evaluation.
I understand that there may not be enough of the building left for the original tax credits, etc. to apply so there could be a whole new ballgame there as concerns future efforts.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
capital
Speaking of which, I keep bugging you and others for updates on the Younkers block. I may have missed it but I don't think that there was a reference to that one in the list of 10 in your new link here. It's such an importnant site in the midst of the core that I'm still very interested in what happens.
I think it was you who wrote that the western concrete section may be saved but it was under evaluation.
I understand that there may not be enough of the building left for the original tax credits, etc. to apply so there could be a whole new ballgame there as concerns future efforts.
I'll try to watch for a story on the latest. They are slowly demo'ing the east building (total loss).

Old 05-29-2014, 03:38 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
If you want to add ugly to your city, just have one of these motel/hotel chains, like Marriott or Hampton Inn, design/build something in your city with their 1st year architectural students. Cities are so eager for any kind of development today, they'd never say: Why not have Calatrava design it? As anything Calatrava designs becomes an instant tourist attraction for any city, even if it's a public toilet!

And so much construction today, apartments alike, with a concrete pad on the 2nd floor, and fire-trap wooden construction up to 5-6 floors on top!

But, yeah! yeah! yeah! Cities are so hungry for development today, do they really care?

Urban Design Committee with some muscle and defiance, where art thou?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
capital

Not a lot here about the eventual outcome of Younker's buildings post-fire, but will post anyway. If anything, gives you an idea what plans are in the works for the 13 story former home to the Des Moines Register:

Quote:
The project could also help fill the void left by the Younkers building, which was engulfed in a massive fire in March. The former department store was being converted to 120 apartments, part of a wave of new housing in the center of downtown. Its owners are still trying to determine whether anything can be salvaged.
Link: Old Register building has bright future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: