Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 PM

6 posts, read 19,611 times

Advertisements

I moved here to DSM a month ago and am worried about the roads and winter driving. Any tips? How are the roads during this time? Much info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 10:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
What is DSM?

If you mean Des Moines the roads are the same there as anywhere when it is winter. Extra caution is needed and don't be in a hurry. Sometimes it takes a bit for the trucks to get out and get things cleaned up.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,304,135 times
DSM is a very common abbreviation for Des Moines.

Tips? Be prepared to take it SLOW. What kind of experience do you have with winter driving?

Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,463,958 times
My tip doesn't relate to driving, but it's very relevant to the wintertime here. Be careful on sidewalks, parking lots, and porches. While Des Moines usually does a pretty good job of clearing the roads of snow and melting ice, the sidewalks, parking lots, and porches can be skating rinks if walked on before the ice has melted. Slipping on the ice is common. I seem to have 2 or 3 nasty falls every winter. I'm usually bundled up enough to absorb any blows though.

Other than that, slow and steady is the norm for winter driving. You will end up in a ditch if you drive faster than the conditions allow. The roads aren't treacherous all winter, but they're bad enough half of the season that good winter defensive driving habits, such as driving slowly, giving yourself enough time to stop, and giving yourself plenty of space in between vehicles, are a must. There was a night last year when my coworker was driving us home in a storm and we were on the interstate going 15 mph and still fishtailing. A car that was going 40 mph ended up sliding into a ditch in front of us. The speed limit was 70.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,703,581 times
Side roads & most residential streets remain more treacherous longer than do major highways or arterial roads.
If you are turning off of a major street, be cautious & be prepared to encounter bad driving conditions.
Driving on a cleared or well-traveled road that is in great/good condition can lull a driver into a false sense of security as in "Everthing's fine!"
Black ice is particualrly dangerous & you can find imagery or vid clips of it on the internet if you conduct a search.
The hills can bring about another whole realm of danger. This is more notably a problem in the city proper of Des Moines in the many areas that are quite hilly to just rolling because of the 2 major rivers there along with the myriad numbers of creeks that feed into them. In the city of Des Moines hill driving is particularly a problem say as compared to much flatter Ankeny.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:13 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
Good tires.

If you are unfamiliar with driving on snow and ice find an empty parking lot and practice.

Learn the proper method for steering in a skid.

Use abs brakes properly. Push the pedal down and leave it there. Ignore the chatter, it's normal.

Buy a pair of Yaktrax https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk

Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What is DSM?

If you mean Des Moines the roads are the same there as anywhere when it is winter. Extra caution is needed and don't be in a hurry. Sometimes it takes a bit for the trucks to get out and get things cleaned up.

The abbreviation for the Des Moines airport is DSM.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:45 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,618,692 times
OP, you got some good advice on this thread. Pay particular attention to what Tek Freak said about new tires and practicing.

I'll add: know when to go and when to stay home. They really do shut down I-35 and I-80 at times!

Also: put together a winter survival kit for your car:

Winter Safety - Iowa DOT

It was my first winter here last year, but I grew up in Michigan. There are more problems with crosswinds on the freeways here.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,447,168 times
On major roads you will almost always be surrounded by Iowans who have been doing winter driving for years, so it's probably not unsafe to go with the flow of traffic - it's also more important than anything for you to feel safe, so go slower if you think you need to.

Brake early, brake often. Don't freak out if the snow makes loud noises under your tires sometimes. Both hands should stay on the steering wheel always.

You'll get used to it quickly. It's the only kind of driving you'll even be able to do for a few months, so you really have no choice but to figure it out. You'll be fine!

Old 09-02-2014, 03:12 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,304,135 times
Remember, though, that the first real snow of the year usually brings a slew of accidents, as if people forget how to drive in it.

If you start to slide/skid, always steer the opposite way you are sliding. Don't slam on the brakes, especially in very icy conditions. Plan your turns out ahead of time to allow drivers behind you to stop on slick roads. I would also throw my car in neutral when approaching a stoplight to minimize sliding.

On snow covered roads, remember where the traffic lines are even if you can't see them. I am always amazed at how many people just drive down the middle of a 4 lane road when the snow covers the lines! And, honestly? Just stay at a steady speed when you can. Going to fast/slow and constantly breaking not only will allow you to slide, but lots of break lights flashing can startle a driver behind you causing them to brake and slide. Don't go too slow! I always took my foot off the gas when crossing a bridge or overpass or a very slick looking area of roadway. Less chance to skid.

Replace your washer fluid with de-ice kind. Keep some on hand at all times, when things start to melt, it gets sloppy, and you will need it. Also be sure your wipers blades are in good shape. If they aren't they might just "shred" after the first time the freeze to the windsheild.

Had a good snow brush in the car. Don't assume you won't need it if you have a garage; it will snow while you are at work, the store, the movies, etc.

Check your tires to be sure they have good tread. If you have 2 tires that are better than the others tread-wise, have them rotated and move them to the front assuming you have fron wheel drive. If you don't, get a car with front wheel drive!

Snowplows will plow in the end of your driveway weith very hard, compacted snow. Be ready to shovel that out.

Use salt on steps. They also have pet friendly salt that doesn't burn the pads of dogs and cats feet.

Or, just do like I did and move to Arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines