Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 920 times

Advertisements

I've found the home of my dreams on Zillow. It is in Des Moines, a city I have been considering for retirement (for a lot of reasons it should work for me). It is located near the intersection of Fleur Dr. and Park Ave.

I wonder about three things.

1) What would be the airport or airplane noise in that area?

2) What is the crime like in that area? (Is there a crime map for Des Moines?)

Thank you for your assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 04:58 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
The neighborhoods west of Fleur are very nice, perhaps nicer than many parts of West Des Moines with respect to housing quality. House cloning in the cookie cutter style was not a part of the plan, there's a nice mix of 200K homes that are well designed and somewhat unique, compared to what you see in many newer suburbs. I would think crime would be low and on par with much of the west side of the metro.

It's a pretty quiet area, the only thing in that immediate area that might be sub par compared to the area around it......an older apartment complex on the west side of Fleur a few blocks north of Park, which I feel does not measure up to the quality of the surrounding neighborhood, but not that bad. However, if your looking for the right part of "dat city" to move to, dat apartment complex might be OK but maybe somewhere along University north of downtown might be better.

The airport noise is nothing like it used to be when they were flying the F-16 fighter planes on a fairly regular basis. Those F16 jet fighters got sequestered out of existence last year, and is soooo much more quiet in SW Des Moines for now.

Perhaps your third question might have been....What are the amenities ? There is a nice HyVee close by for groceries and Wakonda shopping plaza, Wakonda Golf and Country Club, Grays Lake and Water Works Park for biking and walking trails. Probably the most negative thing about the area along Fleur, there are no Burger Kings for miles and miles and I hear people are starving and moving away because of that.

Last edited by mofford; 11-24-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
You have some higher priced homes in those neighborhoods. I've always thought this would be a nice place to live.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
^^^ yes^^^
There's a beautifully rolling type of landscape prevalent in that area & recreational opportunities are nearby what w/ parks, trails, green space & Gray's Lake all within easy striking distance. Plus, it's closein to the city center.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I had that area for a paper route. Park and Fleur, west on park, side streets, etc. Great at Christmas!

East on Park they ruined one of the best natural habitats in DSM when they built all those houses. My mother cried when see saw what they did.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:33 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsDatMyCity View Post
I've found the home of my dreams on Zillow. It is in Des Moines, a city I have been considering for retirement (for a lot of reasons it should work for me). It is located near the intersection of Fleur Dr. and Park Ave.

I wonder about three things.

1) What would be the airport or airplane noise in that area?

2) What is the crime like in that area? (Is there a crime map for Des Moines?)

Thank you for your assistance!
You're gonna fit right in

On a more serious note, the noise near the airports generally isn't bad unless you really dislike noise. I live near an airport and enjoy seeing the planes go over. I despise interruptions, but the planes are great fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: