Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times

Advertisements

It did when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 12:02 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Oh, come on. I was out bird watching first thing this morning on Carney Marsh:

https://www.polkcountyiowa.gov/conse...-carney-marsh/

When it cools down later, I'm going to take a bike ride, if I get my bike working:

https://www.dmgov.org/Departments/Pa...LTRAILINFO.pdf

There's a lot more to do than run naked through the corn fields! (-:

Old 06-09-2015, 12:54 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The cold is more than just an inconvenience, lots of folks (young and old) that suffer from joint pain can really thrive in the warm dry climate of Phoenix. Even my elderly kitty (18 when I brought her here) seemed to have a new attitude here, she seemed to be more active.
The thing about these cold, northern states is that for a large percentage of the year, doing things outdoors is a real PITA due to the cold, wind, or snow. I'm only 29, so the cold doesn't make me sore, but it's a significant inconvenience. If there is a major snowstorm and the power goes out for days, I-80 gets clogged for miles, etc, this can be a real problem for an elderly Iowan.

I know I really struggled this winter in Indiana, as November was really too wet to do anything, and there wasn't any greening or reliably above 50 until early-mid April. The winter in Des Moines wasn't as bad, but 2012 was unusually warm anyway. On a normal to rough winter, I'd go crazy.

I don't know much about Phoenix, but a lot of these lists end up meaningless.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:22 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
If you want real wind, try the Dakotas or western Minnesota.
Actually, I'm shocked that Sioux Falls, Fargo, and any other burgs in the Dakotas didn't make this list. They have usually done so the last few years. It must be that the oil shale bust is serious!

Old 06-09-2015, 01:31 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The thing about these cold, northern states is that for a large percentage of the year, doing things outdoors is a real PITA due to the cold, wind, or snow. I'm only 29, so the cold doesn't make me sore, but it's a significant inconvenience. If there is a major snowstorm and the power goes out for days, I-80 gets clogged for miles, etc, this can be a real problem for an elderly Iowan.

I know I really struggled this winter in Indiana, as November was really too wet to do anything, and there wasn't any greening or reliably above 50 until early-mid April. The winter in Des Moines wasn't as bad, but 2012 was unusually warm anyway. On a normal to rough winter, I'd go crazy.

I don't know much about Phoenix, but a lot of these lists end up meaningless.
It's pretty strange that this dude pans the weather in Hartford and Buffalo but then ignores it for Des Moines, especially since he loves hot desert weather so much that he included 3 Arizona cities in his top 5. Also, how can you yap about "cost of living" and then recommend Alexandria, VA?

My guess is that this guy is headquartered in the Washington, DC area and was hired by some corporation planning 55+ communities in Arizona to conduct this "study".

The best place to retire is a place that suits you as far as COL, amenities, weather, etc. Nobody can tell you where that place is because people value different things. Months on end of 100+ days is NOT any place I would ever want to be.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:37 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Oh, come on. I was out bird watching first thing this morning on Carney Marsh:

https://www.polkcountyiowa.gov/conse...-carney-marsh/

When it cools down later, I'm going to take a bike ride, if I get my bike working:

https://www.dmgov.org/Departments/Pa...LTRAILINFO.pdf

There's a lot more to do than run naked through the corn fields! (-:
For sure. The fishing leaves a lot to be desired (most of Iowa's standing water is caused by damming of rivers... there's not very many natural lakes in the state, and on top of that, most public places aren't very well stocked) but there's some serious hunting throughout the state. There's some surprisingly good hiking and biking (of course we all know about RAGBRAI, and there's another thread for that anyway).

Old 06-09-2015, 02:13 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,825 times
Meemur
Did you spot anything of note while out watching early this a.m?

Old 06-09-2015, 02:33 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Meemur
Did you spot anything of note while out watching early this a.m?
Not this morning, just the usual residents. Last week, I thought I saw a green heron. It flew away before I could be sure. I need to get there right at dawn. I've been going later than that.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:19 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,445 times
They have quite a few pelicans not too far from Big Creek. I used to see them all the time right by the bridge on Hwy 17 just north of Granger.

And any bald eagle sightings?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:15 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
I think people need to remember for survey's like this that just because someone plans to retire and maintain residence in a cold winter place like Des Moines, it doesn't mean they'll live their 12 months out of the year.

The cold is not a knock on a place if you aren't here to experience it (which is my plan when I retire).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines