Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,774 times

Advertisements

My name is Leo, I'm in the market for purchasing a home. Besides a few miner cosmetics I'm concerned with the power line I-bolt looks bent. I have the understanding that it shouldn't be bent and as close to the house as it should. Is this correct and if so what will this cost to fix/replace whatever items needed. Please notify me of any idea on this. I will attach two pictures with different angles.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Power Line I-bolt Bent Possible Issue?-20151224_154322-2-.jpg   Home Power Line I-bolt Bent Possible Issue?-20151224_154232-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 04:11 PM

412 posts, read 451,682 times
Just call the power company and report a bent and apparently defective bolt securing the power line to the house. They should fix it at not cost. It is their power line and they are responsible for it at that point.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,774 times
I called the power company and they said that was more of a homeowners problem. They said I need to contact an electrician to resolve that. So do I push further for them to try or contact an electrician and what's my price range?

Old 12-27-2015, 06:35 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
See those compression sleeves on the three cables? That's where the power company makes their connection to your wiring.
The homeowner is responsible for a meter-ready box and service entry cable up to the eye-bolt.
The utility company cuts the cables to length, crimps the sleeves, and stabs-in the meter head.
Everything else is on the homeowner/builder.
The bent eye-bolt is ugly but may be strong and not a problem. I see other abandoned service attach points there as well.
The house must have been built in the 40's.
Personally I'd clean the area up. It's something any electrician can do for a couple or three hundred bucks.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:04 PM

778 posts, read 796,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
Just call the power company and report a bent and apparently defective bolt securing the power line to the house. They should fix it at not cost. It is their power line and they are responsible for it at that point.
I would push the issue with the power company. It is generally accepted that service to the house, i.e., to the electrical box is the responsibility of the utility. Same goes for the water, gas and cable companies although cable companies try to get the patron to pay for it by calling it wire care. Call your power company and inform them that you are filing a grievance with the State Attorney General's Office. Call you local magistrate and ask them to send you the form. Once you receive it, fill it out and then call the power company back if they have made no move. Tell them you will happily provide them a copy of the grievance as you send it to the state office. Ask them for an individual names to receive it and notify them that you are going to send it certified, signature required.

The key to dealing with any bureaucracy is get bureaucratic yourself. Once you start going down the red tape brick road, they will stop trying to brush you off and do their job. They want to save money because moving these things can run a 1,000 bucks.

Good luck.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:40 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I would push the issue with the power company. It is generally accepted that service to the house, i.e., to the electrical box is the responsibility of the utility. Same goes for the water, gas and cable companies although cable companies try to get the patron to pay for it by calling it wire care. Call your power company and inform them that you are filing a grievance with the State Attorney General's Office. Call you local magistrate and ask them to send you the form. Once you receive it, fill it out and then call the power company back if they have made no move. Tell them you will happily provide them a copy of the grievance as you send it to the state office. Ask them for an individual names to receive it and notify them that you are going to send it certified, signature required.

The key to dealing with any bureaucracy is get bureaucratic yourself. Once you start going down the red tape brick road, they will stop trying to brush you off and do their job. They want to save money because moving these things can run a 1,000 bucks.

Good luck.
I debated even responding further to your post, but you gave the OP bad advice.
You are wrong on all counts in saying it is generally accepted the power company is responsible for installation and maintenance to the meter box. The utility makes the service entry connection, stabs the meter, installs the tamper tag and leaves the site. The builder's electrician takes it from there.
Nor are the other utilities all the same. Natural gas suppliers are only responsible to the meter. Municipal water suppliers vary but usually the homeowner is responsible to the water meter. Sewer lines vary with jurisdictions.
The OP was asking about an unsightly installation. As long as the mount point is sound, there is no urgency to correct the bent eye-bolt. It may be only cosmetic. Further, the OP hasn't bought the house yet. The repair could be a point of negotiation.
Suggesting that the OP threaten and bully the Power Company via some made-up grievance remedy would be futile and just plain silly.
Stick to what you know.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:10 AM

778 posts, read 796,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I debated even responding further to your post, but you gave the OP bad advice.
You are wrong on all counts in saying it is generally accepted the power company is responsible for installation and maintenance to the meter box. The utility makes the service entry connection, stabs the meter, installs the tamper tag and leaves the site. The builder's electrician takes it from there.
Nor are the other utilities all the same. Natural gas suppliers are only responsible to the meter. Municipal water suppliers vary but usually the homeowner is responsible to the water meter. Sewer lines vary with jurisdictions.
The OP was asking about an unsightly installation. As long as the mount point is sound, there is no urgency to correct the bent eye-bolt. It may be only cosmetic. Further, the OP hasn't bought the house yet. The repair could be a point of negotiation.
Suggesting that the OP threaten and bully the Power Company via some made-up grievance remedy would be futile and just plain silly.
Stick to what you know.
I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines