Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 AM

38 posts, read 108,701 times

Advertisements

I found out that I will be moving to Des Moines within the next six months. I am from Southern MN and I have been through the area briefly when I was in highschool. Although I have just started my research I have noticed that the Iowans on this board always have some good input on a persons particular situation! I will be working at the DSM airport so I am looking for something to rent at first while I am in the process of buying a house. I also look forward to taking a few weekend get aways to Sundown Mt during the winter. What else is there to do for entertainment in this area? Please feel free to chime in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 09:06 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,348,709 times
Hopefully some others will give you specifics, but I'd like to chime in with my 2 cents worth.

I do not live in DSM, but grew up there and still have family/friends there. I make it up there a few times a year. I think DSM is a great city to live in. Now - if you are 22 and really want a party-town, somewhere to run around every weekend and go clubbing...DSM isn't the best for that. But, I have found they actually do have a fair share of bars and clubs up there, even in the suburbs. Yet, DSM is a very family-friendly city. I think it's a great place to raise kids (but then again I live in about the worst place to raise kids, so I'm biased).

Regardless, they have been doing a lot up in DSM in terms of city attractions. The downtown area has been going through a shift it seems...when I lived there it was deserted, but now there is an area of warehouse condos, art galleries, restaurants, etc. I believe they are rebuilding the area around the river to create a great river-park for festivals, jogging, etc. They have a great Art in the Park event every year (although it's too big now to be held in "the park"). A while back they redeveloped Grey's Lake (south side, near the airport) and it's now very nice with nice walkways. There's a small zoo, a very nice art center and science center, etc etc.

I've lived and traveled extensively to much larger cities. But, I have always felt DSM would fit all of my needs if I lived there. It may not offer everything that Chicago would (not too far away) but it offers everything you need (and more) to live there and enjoy it.

And since you're from MN, I don't have to tell you about the snow. You're used to it.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:37 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,249,295 times
What's Sundown Mt?

What sort of entertainment are you looking for? Real general, there's the Court Avenue district downtown. Here you'll find a handful of restaurants and a handful of clubs/bars. Nothing too edgy, but a few years ago we used to wreak some havoc in the alley between Vaudeville Mews and Royal Mile. I don't really care for it much these days, but it is a nice place to hang out when the weather is nice. Like Pearlbob said, there's a decent amount of clubs in the suburbs as well. There's a few other smaller entertainment areas (Ingersoll, East Village, etc)

For cinema there's the usual movie theaters as well as Fleur Cinema by the airport with more indie films (and food & wine), Billie Joe's in WDM with second run movies and karaoke (food and beer as well) and the Varsity in the Drake neighborhood with indie films.

Sports: Iowa Cubs (Chicago's AAA), Iowa Stars hockey (Dallas Stars AHL), Des Moines Bucanners hockey (Junior A - a really good level of play though), Des Moines menace (development league soccer) and the Iowa Energy (NBA Development league. Coming soon)

Coffee houses: Cup of Kryptonite on Fleur by the airport - comics and coffee. Java Joe's - Court Ave area on 4th street.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 AM

Good info, thank you. My family will be following me shortly after I get there, Wife and son (2yrs). I am looking for exactly what both of have you described DSM to be..... a good place to raise my family, good schools and family entertainment. From what I can see DSM will fit my needs. I have always lived in a city under 100,000 so it will be somewhere with a bit more to offer. Sundown Mt is a ski resort on the east side of of the state. From what I have read it' not to bad for midwest skiing and snowboarding.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 AM

459 posts, read 2,224,322 times
[SIZE=3]I really think you’ll like Des Moines. The single greatest strength of the Des Moines area is it’s “family friendliness” - Great schools, great entertainment venues for kids, clean and safe environment. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] There are several minor league sports clubs in town, and they all do a good job of catering to the kids - The Iowa Cubs games are a great experience whether you bring your kids or not. Des Moines has a pretty new science center that kids love, aquatic centers are everywhere in the metro, Adventureland is a very nice amusement park in the east metro, there is a snow tubing place on the east side of Des Moines, the State Fair in August, and there is a working train museum ( that my kids love) in nearby Boone. I’m sure I’m forgetting plenty of other nice amenities the Des Moines area has for kids, but this should give you a good start on kid friendly activities.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]You won’t have a problem finding an apartment by the Airport. There are plenty in close proximity and the Airport has easy access to a lot of other places in the metro if you want to live a little further away. [/SIZE]

Old 02-10-2008, 11:08 AM

Does anyone want to throw out a few recomedations on apartments in the area. I have looked on rent.com and found a variety of options but if anyone has any first hand knowledge it would be appriciated. It seems like a majority of the newer nice stuff is in the West DSM area and Johnston, I would preffer something in norwalk though.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:43 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,407,812 times
Apartments for rent - ApartmentFinder.com

Old 02-11-2008, 09:38 PM

41 posts, read 164,212 times
Where you choose an apartment will all depend on how much you want to pay. You may be able to rent a house as well. Look on craigslist.com (under Des Moines) or the classifieds at dmregister.com. I think the best apartments in the City of Des Moines will be found on the near west side of Downtown (about 7 minutes from the airport). They are usually smaller complexes (up to 5 units or so) that are much more livable than the "mega" complexes spread out in the western suburbs and the south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines