Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:51 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,346,859 times

Advertisements

Big news for Des Moines today considering it has been many years since anything substantial has been proposed that would alter the skyline in anyway. This is just proposed, but is a good sign of the health of the downtown Des Moines economy to see developers presenting projects of this scale.

Quote:
Mandelbaum plans to build an $85 million mixed-used project at Fifth and Court avenues anchored by a 32-story apartment tower. It would be the fourth tallest building in the state, and the tallest
constructed since the 45-story 801 Grand office tower was built in 1991.

Mandelbaum’s plan includes a nine-screen movie theater, an indoor/outdoor climbing wall facing Court Avenue, a jazz club on Walnut Street, a 600-stall parking ramp, a daycare, a small amount of office space and about 200 apartments. It would replace a city-owned parking garage that city officials have been looking to demolish to make way for new development.

“I think it will be a catalyst for downtown,” Mandelbaum said. “It will increase the vitality of downtown and firmly establish downtown as the metro area’s premier place to live
Movie theater, 32-story tower proposed downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 06:20 PM

684 posts, read 790,728 times

I hope Des Moines gets this. And many more to come.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:32 AM

70 posts, read 273,477 times

Old 05-25-2016, 01:35 PM

In addition to the proposed 32 story high-rise, now a 29 story tower being proposed too:

Quote:
Drawings of proposed 29-story tower released
Joel Aschbrenner, jaschbrenn@dmreg.com 2:02 p.m. CDT May 25, 2016

Developers planning to build a 29-story tower at the site of the former Younkers building in downtown Des Moines have released drawings of the building.

The drawings, produced by Des Moines-based Neumann Monson Architects, show a high-rise with large, rectangular windows rising from the corner of Seventh and Walnut Streets. The proposed building would be constructed of concrete and steel. Seventy-five percent of the exterior would be covered in glass. The top two floors would feature penthouse condos with terraces.

Local development firm Blackbird Investments announced plans for the $60 million tower Tuesday. Blackbird partner Justin Doyle said the building would be a mix of apartments, condos and hotel rooms with some retail space on the street level.
Link to renderings and full article here: Drawings of proposed 29-story tower released

Old 05-25-2016, 02:56 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,059 times
I've heard various estimates of how tall the upcoming 32-story tower will be. Initially I heard it would be in the neighborhood of 350-370 feet, but lately I've seen 430 feet (according to urbandsm). If that is that case, that would make it the 3rd tallest building in DSM (and the state of Iowa). It would be just a hair shorter than the Ruan.

If the 29-story building is of similar proportions, then we might be looking in the neighborhood of 380-410 feet. This could really make DSM's skyline stand out.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:21 PM

655 posts, read 1,127,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
In addition to the proposed 32 story high-rise, now a 29 story tower being proposed too:

Link to renderings and full article here: Drawings of proposed 29-story tower released

I am so happy that the building boom is happening in DSM but that building is truly ugly. It reminds me of some Ikea bookshelf or those candles that we used to make in milk cartons with ice cubes so they would have holes in them. Not to mention how annoying it will be when the sun is reflecting off that shiny metal surface. There is nothing appealing about it.

But, really, so glad to see new construction happening. I love what is going on in downtown DSM and if I were just out of college....I would totally live down there.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:00 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,457 times
Adding to the 2 new high rise residential tower announcements of the past week, the ongoing rehab of the 1920's era art deco classic Equitable Building confirms that there is a move toward high rise living in downtown Des Moines as a major factor in the residential population increase there.
Other than the Iowa Capitol Building, The Equitable Building was my favorite structure in Des Moines when I was a kid.
I'm pleased to see it re-adapted into another use that will also bring more residents & life to the immediate area.

23 photos: Equitable Building renovation into apartments underway

Old 06-08-2016, 06:52 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,059 times
Agreed, this is arguably the most exciting time for downtown DSM in well, probably ever. Granted, I'd love to see (or at least hear about) some concrete evidence (no pun intended), but these sound a lot more promising than some previous projects that went unfulfilled.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:51 AM

I'll drop this in here for lack of a better place.

Pretty nice video of all the projects currently taking place in downtown:

http://www.downtowndesmoines.com/dev...&utm_term=MORE

Old 07-08-2016, 05:20 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,340,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I'll drop this in here for lack of a better place.

Pretty nice video of all the projects currently taking place in downtown:

Do Business | Development Activities/Investments | Downtown Des Moines
Nice to see all the activity in downtown DM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: