Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2016, 07:43 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,349 times

Advertisements

Well, this is the second night in my apartment. It is one of nine cut out of the largest mansion on the River in the River bend area. This is a seedy area, but I heard no sirens, no gun shots, no one outside. Of course that could all be due to the freezing rain that has tuned to snow.

Speaking of snow, this has got to be the laziest snow I have ever seen. It floats up the river bank from the river a 50 feet below. That is one beautiful view.

The apartment is "rustic" that is a nice way takes some adjusting. For example, the water pressure is low because the old galvanized pipes are filled up with stuff, and the radiator heat has it a little stuffy in the evenings and a little chilly in the mornings. I suspect that it also has to do with which way the wind is blowing as it seems that most of the wall space is windows.

I like it.

My son is driving a U - haul up today. I was hoping he would stop in Nevada Missouri at the Country Inn and Suites, but he was too cheap to spend the 85 bucks. (It is a good value.) He doesn't have warm clothes, so I think we will take him to G and L clothing and get him a nice Carhart coat and hat and Carhart base layer and some thinsulate gloves. (I might need some too, mine don't seem to work as well now, I have mittens, but that seems too much here.)

http://www.gandlclothing.com

The son and daughter in law and grandson will move into a condo in Ankeny close to the interstate.

It seems like a good day to stay inside and drink coffee and watch it snow.

Cheers
Qazulight (we will be unloading his truck tomorrow)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 09:46 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Welcome to Des Moines!

I'm glad that you found G & L Clothing. There is also Tractor Supply and Fleet Farm in Ankeny, not far from the interstate that also carry warm clothing, near where your relatives will live.

The extreme cold will abate in about 48 hours and then temperatures will be more seasonal.

I'm sorry that you're unloading this morning. Stay warm!

Old 12-17-2016, 01:12 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
The son and daughter in law and grandson will move into a condo in Ankeny close to the interstate.
Eeeeeeeewwwwww, not Ankeny !!! Say it isn't so! That's absolutely the most revolting place in the entire state of Iowa!

Sounds like you have a cool place, though. Have fun there!

Old 12-17-2016, 06:33 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Eeeeeeeewwwwww, not Ankeny !!! Say it isn't so! That's absolutely the most revolting place in the entire state of Iowa!

Sounds like you have a cool place, though. Have fun there!
LOL

Ankeny is all about young families and the Great 'Merican Dream.

We unloaded some tonight, but my son was give out, and it was dark and cold and he didn't have a full base layer or flannel lined pants, so we stopped until tomorrow. The Condo is nice, new, never been lived in, it has a nice front loading washer and dryer, a field in the back where the grandson can learn about snow sledding. It is nice for them.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 12-18-2016, 07:23 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
There's nothing wrong with Ankeny. Ignore that previous post.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:35 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
There's everything wrong with Ankeny. Ignore the previous post.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:05 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I work in Ankeny. It's a fine town!

Good morning, Qazulight, tomorrow seasonal temps will return. Good luck getting the truck unloaded today! The sunshine won't make it any warmer, but it may help with morale.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:48 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
RiverBend is an area that has been trying to transition for several years now. I think it is headed in right direction.

here's a thread from another forum that is dedicated to development going on there that you might find interesting:

River Bend Local Historic District - Page 7*-*urbanDSM.com

They are also going to be putting in a new streetscape on 6th Avenue (the main thoroughfare). Fyi...Riverbend used to be North Des Moines....the first suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: