Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 9,932 times

Advertisements

I don't wanna seem mean or tick anyone off, but this is not a very diverse city in comparison with others. The fact is that sure, we have some minorities, but we are an overwhelming white city. Are there problems? Yes, but I don't think any greater than anywhere else. But I do think that people tend to ignore the problem here. Try and cover it up with political correctness. I graduated from Roosevelt High School, which has a large minority population. The teachers would always praise the school for its great diversity, but there was just one problem; the different racial and ethnic groups did not really hang out together, and many times conflict arose between different groups. I recall one of the hallways being referred to as the "black hallway". If you were white, it just wasn't the best place to be. It wasn't like you would have gotten beaten, but you had to expect a little verbal harassment from time to time for entering the hallway. There was even a "black lot", where African-American students parked their cars, and everyone else left it alone for the most part. This is just the reality of the situation. I am not trying to be a racist, but it happens here just like everywhere else. I think alot of people in this town try to sound pious and non-racist, but I think in the privacy of their own homes, they are secretly muttering what they really think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay26 View Post
. I graduated from Roosevelt High School, which has a large minority population.

I always thought the demographics of Roosevelt were kind of funny. You have some of the wealthiest whites in the metro area - think LL Bean, Dave Matthews Band and ski trips. You've got pretty much the entire Jewish community who culturally and economically seem to blend in more with the LL Bean crowd. There's some middle class whites and then large segments of the poorest black neighborhoods. I bet it gets interesting at times.

I heard that Roosevelt has two cheerleader squads - one that's pretty much all white and more along the lines of what you would typically expect out of cheerleaders and then a second afro-centric squad - pretty much all black, a little more on the "thick" side and more uhh, ethnic dance routines.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay26 View Post
I don't wanna seem mean or tick anyone off, but this is not a very diverse city in comparison with others. The fact is that sure, we have some minorities, but we are an overwhelming white city. Are there problems? Yes, but I don't think any greater than anywhere else. But I do think that people tend to ignore the problem here. Try and cover it up with political correctness. I graduated from Roosevelt High School, which has a large minority population. The teachers would always praise the school for its great diversity, but there was just one problem; the different racial and ethnic groups did not really hang out together, and many times conflict arose between different groups. I recall one of the hallways being referred to as the "black hallway". If you were white, it just wasn't the best place to be. It wasn't like you would have gotten beaten, but you had to expect a little verbal harassment from time to time for entering the hallway. There was even a "black lot", where African-American students parked their cars, and everyone else left it alone for the most part. This is just the reality of the situation. I am not trying to be a racist, but it happens here just like everywhere else. I think alot of people in this town try to sound pious and non-racist, but I think in the privacy of their own homes, they are secretly muttering what they really think.

That's a good assessment. They'll act as if they are so unbiased regarding any racial issue to the point it just makes you wonder. I think with Obama as President, people will be forced to change, at least a little bit.

Some of the DSM posters here will say "Obama won the Iowa Caucus" - therefore Iowa has no racial problems anymore. That's completely false. The small percent of democrats who actually went to the caucus helped Obama win it, and in no way are reflective of the majority.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:49 AM

39 posts, read 167,214 times
I know this is about a year late for the OP and they've probably already moved or decided not to, but anyway......

First of all, if you are an African American social worker, we NEED you here in Polk Co. I am a Cauc. social worker living in an interracial family and can say from experience that we serve (as is true in many places, I'm sure) a disproportionate number of minority families but yet most of us doing the work are white. As much as most of us try to be culturally fluent, there will always be some things we can't do as well as if we are from that culture ourselves.

I do agree with most of the posts here that your experience here won't be much different from that in Cedar Rapids. The biggest problem here is that while people from various races generally get along, friendships and socializing tend to go along fairly stringent racial lines. The other problem is that there is somewhat a lack of affluent or even middle class black families when compared to other diverse metropolitan areas. The "ghetto" culture seems to be the status quo especially among the high school students. Boys especially can get a lot of crap for "acting white" when all they are doing is working hard to respect teachers in school, showing up for class and getting decent grades. I have friends living in metropolitan Atlanta and Chicago and this seems to be less the case for them, especially in the parts of Atlanta they are in.

Lastly, I do disagree with the posters that say that the suburbs are "all white". That is simply not the case. Urbandale where I live has an ever growing number of black and Hispanic families. The schools are all about 4-5 percent African American (except Webster way out west). No majority to be sure but good for Iowa and far from "all white". When my oldest child (now 17) began school it was here and 1 other black kid in her whole grade. My youngest, now in 2nd grade, is one of 6 black kids in her class of 26. I have friends living in West Des Moines and such is the case there as well. Even Waukee is getting some diversity.....I do not know as much about Ankeny, etc.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 PM

27 posts, read 97,965 times
I just posted in a similar thread. We used to live in Johnston, IA. We are an interracial family and, come to think of it, I don't remember ever seeing another Black person in Johnston.

We LOVED living in Johnston. We met a ton of friends that we'd hang out with all the time. It was a small community, and we enjoyed going out for some fun at any local spot that was open. We were always invited to our friend's homes for dinner and socializing (and they came to ours). We NEVER ever felt race was an issue or even thought of. The church we attended was 100% Causasian, and I think the members were excited to finally see some color in their congregation.

If it weren't for the fact that we're looking to buy a house on 10+ acres sourrounded by woods, we'd definitely move back to Johnston.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:17 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
An interesting read, lots of statistics:

http://www.iowadatacenter.org/Public.../aaprofile2009

It says African American enrollment in public schools is up 40% over a 6 year period. I know from talking to my family in Iowa City (they teach) and looking at statistics from the schools, it's absolutely skyrocketed there, by many many hundreds over the past 5 years. It's interesting to see the change.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 PM

153 posts, read 290,334 times
Ok Lets get something straight about Des Moines, Iowa. It is a very racist city. Each minority group walks its own path and most everything is owned by whites. The government, business and industry, school, private organizations and culture is owned and controlled by whites. Blacks find a little piece of the city as their territory but it really isn't worth economically, socially or even culturally worth defending. North and East High promote the continual demise of blacks, hispanics, natives and most asians..along with poor whites. East vs. West Des Moines...enough said...total segregation by class. Even the Des Moines Register is white owned and has no minority reporters, including Reku (Who am I this week) Bashu and check out the business page I have seen less white faces at a Klu Klux Klan rally. There are a few Black politicians and community organizers who have continued to try and make strides in the good old white boy and now girl system. And there has been growth in Mexican and Asian groceries and restaurants. And then there is that $23 million Pappajohn tax write-off art park where a homeless person cannot enter....so what about $23 million for the homeless....even poor white veterans get screwed in Des Moines while politicians like Frank Cownie get new landscaping and paving in front of his fur business on Ingersole...thank you tax payers someone has to keep the "deserving" families of Des Moines in power and well off. With a minority birth rate of five times the white birth rate in Des Moines....at least there will be more non-white faces in the schools, jails and homeless shelters...I just hope that there were more in business, government, banking and the real power areas of Des Moines...at least the YWCA (White Womens' Racist Association) is closing.....maybe those mothers and children moved out of there can be housed at the new banking and insurance buildings in downtown and West Des Moines....have a nice year....for the world is not going to beat down the door coming to Des Moines....

Old 01-30-2010, 02:50 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xube View Post
Ok Lets get something straight about Des Moines, Iowa. It is a very racist city. Each minority group walks its own path and most everything is owned by whites. The government, business and industry, school, private organizations and culture is owned and controlled by whites. Blacks find a little piece of the city as their territory but it really isn't worth economically, socially or even culturally worth defending. North and East High promote the continual demise of blacks, hispanics, natives and most asians..along with poor whites. East vs. West Des Moines...enough said...total segregation by class. Even the Des Moines Register is white owned and has no minority reporters, including Reku (Who am I this week) Bashu and check out the business page I have seen less white faces at a Klu Klux Klan rally. There are a few Black politicians and community organizers who have continued to try and make strides in the good old white boy and now girl system. And there has been growth in Mexican and Asian groceries and restaurants. And then there is that $23 million Pappajohn tax write-off art park where a homeless person cannot enter....so what about $23 million for the homeless....even poor white veterans get screwed in Des Moines while politicians like Frank Cownie get new landscaping and paving in front of his fur business on Ingersole...thank you tax payers someone has to keep the "deserving" families of Des Moines in power and well off. With a minority birth rate of five times the white birth rate in Des Moines....at least there will be more non-white faces in the schools, jails and homeless shelters...I just hope that there were more in business, government, banking and the real power areas of Des Moines...at least the YWCA (White Womens' Racist Association) is closing.....maybe those mothers and children moved out of there can be housed at the new banking and insurance buildings in downtown and West Des Moines....have a nice year....for the world is not going to beat down the door coming to Des Moines....
Um...yeah...your logic is flawed...very flawed. Having less people in the jails and homeless shelters is a good thing. What's wrong with schools being predominantly Caucasian, huh? The world doesn't revolve around racial diversity. Something tells me you have a lot of things against Caucasians...people like you are the reason why I will keep my belief that America is an anti-white country. To be honest, it's really sad that people have to hate. Oh, and how is Des Moines "racist" because most businesses are owned by whites? That doesn't even remotely make sense. In addition, you stated that Des Moines is a racist city, which doesn't make sense because cities aren't racist, people are. From my view, your logic is terribly flawed.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:23 PM

Hey now folks get real...as long as the Blacks stay north of downtown and not beyond the Drake neighborhood...everything is wonderful...just let a black family look at a house outside that range and whoa things can interesting....West Des Moines is based on money so a rich black is as welcome as a rich Asian, Mexican or white....but don't be driving around out there with rap music blasting and looking like a gangster....side note if you really want to see the real race issues of Des Moines go spend a few hours in the lobby of the Polk County Court House...Blacks, then Mexicans, then poor whites...then Asians....and notice that 99% of the lawyers and judges are white.....that's reality not only in Des Moines but America....aho

Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 PM

enough said....you must be from Des Moines for you fit the mentality of Des Moines white folks....go sit at the Polk County Courthouse and then tell me how whites have it so bad...get real...80% of my relatives are white and no one asks them for ID, pulls them over for speeding (1 mile over) and then searches the car......and the teachers don't immediately see them as disadvantaged....and refer them to special ed or tutoring....live in your fantasy world for the real world is about to kick your ass for good....it is high time for real equality not some myth of foolishness....no white students are turned away from Iowa colleges.....and check out all those poor little rich kids who couldn't get into Harvard, UI and a major law school who buy their way into Drake...I know I taught at one of your great public university...and there is a minority that gets preference and they are my white brothers and sisters.....and that is changing....aho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines