Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 07:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,823,418 times

Advertisements

Are there areas to avoid in DesMoines? I've seen some nice apartments listed in the city but have no idea what areas to avoid and what areas are nice (safe). I'd love to consider living in the city and enjoy the cultural amenities and shopping, but don't want to get into seedy areas. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,262,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Are there areas to avoid in DesMoines? I've seen some nice apartments listed in the city but have no idea what areas to avoid and what areas are nice (safe). I'd love to consider living in the city and enjoy the cultural amenities and shopping, but don't want to get into seedy areas. Any suggestions?

It's kind of hard to exactly pinpoint the seedy neighborhoods in Des Moines. There's a good sized area around Martin Luther King and Forest Ave and little pockets here and there scattered around the city. If you were to post addresses, I could be more specific.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
It's kind of hard to exactly pinpoint the seedy neighborhoods in Des Moines. There's a good sized area around Martin Luther King and Forest Ave and little pockets here and there scattered around the city. If you were to post addresses, I could be more specific.

How is 101 Second Avenue? I assume this is a downtown address. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:31 PM

49 posts, read 196,271 times
101 2nd Ave is about half a block from Court Ave, where there are many trendy bars and restaurants. Nearby places include the Civic Center(live music and theater) Simon Eastes Amphitheater(live music), Saturday Farmers Market, Principal Park(baseball), Science Center, and a new ice skating rink. Also a half a block away is the Des Moines River. In the 16 years I've lived in the area it has flooded twice, 1993 & 2008. I went down to that area today and the water line was about 2 feet high on the building at 101 Court Ave(the building just to the north). It is a nice new building. One last thing, there is a train track just to the south of the building. I don't know how ofter trains go thru.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:36 PM

Thanks, Iowagirl. Are things getting cleaned up in Des Moines or is it too early to visit. I need to go and look at apartments before the end of June. I'd love to live downtown, though I realize that flooding may be a risk in the future.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thanks, Iowagirl. Are things getting cleaned up in Des Moines or is it too early to visit. I need to go and look at apartments before the end of June. I'd love to live downtown, though I realize that flooding may be a risk in the future.
I can't speak to the future (i.e., flooding), but everything weathered the latest storm just fine (except for a few areas in north DSM). I wouldn't be hesitant to come back and take a look. My wife and I are from Omaha, NE originally and while we still think of that as home (go Huskers), I can't imagine living anywhere else. Downtown really didn't suffer much from the latest round of flooding and I don't think that you should take it off of the list, IMO.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebsdad View Post
I can't speak to the future (i.e., flooding), but everything weathered the latest storm just fine (except for a few areas in north DSM). I wouldn't be hesitant to come back and take a look. My wife and I are from Omaha, NE originally and while we still think of that as home (go Huskers), I can't imagine living anywhere else. Downtown really didn't suffer much from the latest round of flooding and I don't think that you should take it off of the list, IMO.
I appreciate the feedback!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:45 PM

41 posts, read 164,409 times
I think anything Downtown and to the west is great in Des Moines. Neighborhoods such as Sherman Hill, Ingersoll-Grand Avenues (south of I-235) and areas to the west of Drake are great places for apartments. One of the best things about it is that they are CENTRAL to the entire metro. You can be pretty much anywhere in 15 minutes.

About Downtown, the only water damage to this area came from backed up sewer lines. I wouldn't fret about living down there. If you want to be extra cautious, just live above the 1st floor! Downtown (including the East Village) gets better and better every year. I love it.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:25 AM

39 posts, read 220,136 times
While Des Moines is not a particularly dangerous city, there are a few less desirable neighborhoods. As previously mentioned, they are difficult to pin down. These are not necessarily extremely dangerous areas (depending on what you're used to), but there tends to be somewhat higher crime rates in these areas. Burglar bars aren't necessary, but do use common sense (lock your doors at night, don't leave valuables in plain sight in your car).

"There's a good sized area around Martin Luther King and Forest Ave and little pockets here and there scattered around the city."

Very true. I don't live far from there myself. The River Bend neighborhood is usually considered the least desirable in Des Moines. This is immediately northwest of downtown, from 9th Street to 2nd Avenue (west of the Des Moines River), and from the Des Moines River to University Avenue. The worst flooding in Des Moines was along the river in this area due to a levee failure. Most other areas in the metro should be just fine.

Des Moines is a great city, very underrated for what it has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines