Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 04:33 PM

19 posts, read 53,196 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Des Moines in about a month from the east, and have a done some research, and am looking for advice on not only if my research is correct but have some questions of my own. These particularly relate to where to live and crime (I am single and no kids and am in my mid 20's). I'll be working pretty much right in the middle of downtown.

Assumptions/questions:

1) Is it safe to assume one should avoid living around Drake University, especially in zip code 50314? Are there any other areas I should avoid? I've heard its pretty safe west of 31st st but have also heard southeast DM is ok? Low-crime and quietness are the most important things to me in finding a place to live, so what is the best area to live in given that? My price range for apartment/renting condo or home + heat + electricity is about $1000 a month

2) What are the better apartment complexes or condominium areas to live in?

3) From my research violent crime seems to be pretty low, but property crime is pretty high? Is property crime as bad as to have to have bars on all your windows, and a garage is a must? Is it safe to walk the streets around downtown at night, or to park /drive downtown at night?

4) Traffic is pretty much a non-issue in DM?

Thanks for any insight on any of the above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 PM

586 posts, read 2,184,512 times
I would agree with your assumption of not living in 50314, but 50311 should be alright and it's fairly close to Drake University. If you're working downtown, look into moving downtown. There's plenty of rental options for you currently, some of which should fit your income criteria. Picking a close in neighborhood just to the west or even immediately south of downtown could be easy options. There's a lot of historic apartments in great urban neighborhoods just to the west of downtown. There are so many dining and entertainment options in or near downtown, if I were your age all over again I wouldn't hesitate to try finding a place downtown.

You won't need bars on your windows when living in Des Moines. Vandalism and theft are the most common crime problems in Des Moines, but you really shouldn't live in fear if you take the regular procautions of locking doors and securing valuables. I've lived here for most of my life and never been a victim of theft or other property crime (besides having a pumpkin smashed on my driveway) and I've lived in Des Moines proper.

For someone coming from the East Coast to here, traffic is a non-issue. There's noticeably more traffic here than in most other places in Iowa but there's hardly serious gridlock on roads unless there's an accident or weather is bad.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:14 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
I agree with Ryan mostly.

1. Not sure where exactly 50314 is, but south of University, west of 25th or so are fine. Pretty much anything west of 31st is good too, north or south of University. There isn't a whole lot of crime in DSM. It's mostly concentrated in a few neighborhoods. Honestly if low crime and quietness are your key location criteria, I'd recommend Clive or one of the western burbs.

I like Ryan's idea of downtown, but some areas aren't so quite with everything going on. That being said, downtown's pretty awesome these days.

2. Can't help ya on the apartment complexes.

3. Downtown is safe, as are most areas of Des Moines. In most areas a garage isn't a must. You'll know the areas that aren't so great as soon as you go into them.

4. There is no traffic in Des Moines. Even in rush hour it isn't anything close to east coast traffic.

You also might check into the Ingersoll/Grand area. Ingersoll or Grand Ave. west of about MLK. It's a very nice area with shops, bars and such...

Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I'd recommend Clive or one of the western burbs.
Wait until you have kids or are tied down to settle for the suburbs. You'll have plenty of time to do that.

You're young. Experience city life. Avoid having to live in your car. I'd recommend downtown, Sherman Hill or one of the many rental places near Ingersoll or Grand Ave. Don't rule out sourthwest of the Drake area as well.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,216 times
i'm young but i wouldnt want to be trapped in downtown des moines without a car. then again i hardly ever go into des moines proper maybe im missing out.

Last edited by Northern Traveler; 10-27-2008 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 PM

586 posts, read 2,184,512 times
Where else in the metro would you rather be "trapped without a car"? You have a better chance of catching bus service to other places in downtown. I can understand that downtown needs work to locate businesses that are more convienent to downtown residents, but there is no other place in the metro that offers as many recreation, dining or entertainment opportunities within that close of a proximity.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
Where else in the metro would you rather be "trapped without a car"? You have a better chance of catching bus service to other places in downtown. I can understand that downtown needs work to locate businesses that are more convienent to downtown residents, but there is no other place in the metro that offers as many recreation, dining or entertainment opportunities within that close of a proximity.
i wouldnt want to be anywhere around des moines trapped without a car.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 PM

actually if i had to choose somewhere it would be near valley junction but idk if they have a grocery store.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 PM

or west glen

Old 10-28-2008, 12:31 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
i'm young but i wouldnt want to be trapped in downtown des moines without a car. then again i hardly ever go into des moines proper maybe im missing out.
Who said anything about not having a car or being trapped? (and yes, you are missing out if you never travel to DSM.)

The point is, this individual will be working downtown. That means if the he/she lives there, there won't be any need to HAVE to drive to and from work. Also, there are many emenities within walking distance: eye doctors, hair stylists, some limited shopping, gyms, dining, nightlife, library, etc. etc.

My point was, you have your whole life to live in a suburban environment. Now woould be the time to experience different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines